Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: One year graduate program?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007

One year graduate program?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have my BA in Geography focusing in Urban and Regional Planning. I have been a planner in the public sector for roughly a year now and I have aspirations to go back for my graduate degree. Does anyone know of any one-year programs with good reputations, most of the degrees I have seen are around 24 months. At this point I am not willing to got back to school for anything longer than 15 or 16 months.

Also- I Have been focusing my search in the North East and Mid-West, but knowledge of such a program anywhere would be helpful!

-Thank you

Moderator note:
    Please post only one thread in one sub-forum. The identical thread you started in the Career Advice sub-forum has been removed. Thank you and carry on. ~Gedunker
    Last edited by Gedunker; 03 Aug 2007 at 11:50 AM.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    you'd have to go to europe; the land of 1 year masters degrees.
    or, if you have a specialized field in mind, like urban economic development for example, there are a number of schools in north america that offer these type programs in a 1 year curriculum.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Carnegie Mellon has a very good Master of Urban Design that's a 12 month program (as opposed to two semesters).

It's actually a somewhat deceptive name because aside from the Urban Design Lab (which is pretty comprehensive) and the capstone, all the other courses are through their Heinz School of Public Policy (last I checked the #6 Public Policy School), so in many ways its a very good mix of policy principles/analysis and design.

Apparently if you do really well in the program they have something where they'll endorse your application to Oxford for a 1-yr MSc in Environment, Society, & Nature (basically human geography- very much related to public affairs and sociology), which looks like a neat program.

Best of luck.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by wv06 View post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have my BA in Geography focusing in Urban and Regional Planning. I have been a planner in the public sector for roughly a year now and I have aspirations to go back for my graduate degree. Does anyone know of any one-year programs with good reputations, most of the degrees I have seen are around 24 months. At this point I am not willing to got back to school for anything longer than 15 or 16 months.

Also- I Have been focusing my search in the North East and Mid-West, but knowledge of such a program anywhere would be helpful!

-Thank you

Moderator note:
    Please post only one thread in one sub-forum. The identical thread you started in the Career Advice sub-forum has been removed. Thank you and carry on. ~Gedunker
    Ball State in Muncie, Indiana has a one-year program, but you have to have a bachelors in planning -if you've taken the right classes, you might be able to pull it off -they basically waive the 'intro' classes, which is about 12 credits. I'm kind of wondering to myself why I didn't go for that................went to az instead

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Choosing a graduate planning program
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Oct 2013, 6:05 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 08 Jan 2010, 8:17 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Aug 2009, 7:41 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 12 Feb 2006, 2:40 PM