Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Experimental cities [was: Curious in Ohio]

Registered
    Aug 2007

Experimental cities [was: Curious in Ohio]

Hi
    I'm new here, in fact I am new to the whole planned community thing.

My interest comes from an article I read in Popular Science more than 20 years ago. It gave a brief overview of an idea for a new city in England. The city consisted of a circular highrise one mile in diameter, with no cars allowed in the center. This seems to me to be an idea whose time has come. Millions of gallons of gasoline could be saved if people could walk to work, school, shops, restraunts, etc. Such a city would have a realitively low cost to build and maintain if there were no streets, all utilities could be in tunnels under the buildings, no school buses for children and on and on.

my question is where such cities ever built? If so, or even if not, what are the pros and cons. I could imagine a very livable city with some real community aspects that don't exist in most cities since most people don't live in the same community they work in.

Thoughts anyone/

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Welcome! That's an interesting idea, but I think people would be starved of fresh air and the natural urban fabric of a city.

Registered
    Aug 2007

Sky City, Tokyo

I've heard of this, too, but the variation I saw was referred to as the "Millenium Tower" in San Francisco (except now there is a real Millenium Tower in SF that is a typical modern high-rise). The other variation on the theme that has received more attention is the "Sky City" concept envisioned for Tokyo:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_City_1000

Plausible? Yes
    Likely? Not so much, in my opinion. At least not for another century or more.

Moderator note:
    jedge242, Welcome to Cyburbia! Your thread is interesting, but it doesn't really fit in the Introduce Yourself subforum, so I'm moving it to the Cities and Places subforum, where I think you'll get more traffic. You're certainly invited to tell us about yourself in the Introduce yourself subforum if you like. Finally, new users can't post urls until you have a minimum of five posts. Thanks! Welcome again, and carry on.~Gedunker
    Last edited by Gedunker; 06 Aug 2007 at 12:14 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    that is definitely an interesting idea. i can't put my finger on it but for some reason it doesn't sit well with me. i would be concerned about a lack of green space and air/light.
    Last edited by dandy_warhol; 06 Aug 2007 at 12:27 PM.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Curious Connections
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 22 May 2013, 10:43 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Sep 2006, 8:24 PM
  3. Curious..
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 03 Nov 2004, 1:07 PM