Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Unintentional traffic calming

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Unintentional traffic calming

From Yahoo News (link to video from CNN)

Realistic cardboard cutouts of kids are causing drivers to slow down in one neighborhood.
    http://www.yahoo.com/s/645090
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Any bets on how long before the local zoning official visits regarding sign ordinances?

Actually the guy is pretty creative

Registered
    Aug 2006

expectations

I'd like to know if behavioral scientists and traffic engineers are supportive of this idea. My understanding is that several frictional factors lead drivers to slow, including the presence, and more importantly in my opinion, the expectation of the presence of pedestrians/children near and in the roadways. By adding a fictional factor, I'd be concerned that for subsequent trips past the dummy experience, impatient drivers might discard real indicators (kids actually playing and running!) for a split second due to the expectation that the environment is propped.
    "That guy handles the puck like a cow handles a gun!" - Mike Lange

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yup....

I've seen these cardboard people.....the next best thing would be if they were on a zip line and timed to shoot down towards the street just as the car crosses.......but then again, people would start complaining about the brake noise......can't win for trying......
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    If you did not catch his website in the video here it is: http://25kids.com/

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    With all those cutout kids around, I think they could also use a cutout of this.

Why don't you have a seat over there, please.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ha ha ha.....

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Off-topic:
    With all those cutout kids around, I think they could also use a cutout of this.

Why don't you have a seat over there, please.

I think that would promote some serious speeding...ha ha ha.....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Back on topic - what are some other forms of unintentional traffic calming that you've seen? A few:

* Crowded on-street parking
    * Poor street maintenance
    * Active road work
    * Kids actually playing in the street - kickball, soccer, catch and so on. (not as common now as during my youth in the 1970s and 1980s)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Roadkill, parked cop cars along the street while getting donuts.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    May 2005
    Very well maintained properties...........people slow down to gawk.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I had a case with a neighborhood where their covenants prohibited parking in the street, then they wondered why speeds were higher on their streets. Duh, there's 15' lanes in each direction. Apparently some place in the same town they were buying inflatable frogs to put in the street for the calming effect.

Anyways, these cutouts are pretty lame. Kinkos could probably whip one up pretty quick if you wanted one, or any business with a color plotter (hmmm...). I can't wait to see what some of the pranksters will do with them, especially the cop cutout. The white wicker deer sculptures at Xmas time are temping enough.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Wildono View post
    I'd like to know if behavioral scientists and traffic engineers are supportive of this idea.
    Habituation is the problem. It might work for a while, but people are likely to figure it out and return to previous patterns.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Or....

Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Very well maintained properties...........people slow down to gawk.
    The exact opposite in more rural towns.....very poorly maintained property.....draws as much if not more attention I think....my favorite is an otherwise nice neighborhood full of auto mechanic's conducting multiple engine and transmission repairs on the front lawns. I'm talking about every other home here (see Meeker Colorado for an example.....now Zman calm down, its just one example....)

he he he

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I remember one time in my youth, I was playing at my cousins' house. Their driveway came out at a T-intersection. Anyways, we had these fake plastic traffic cones and a fake stop sign set up at the end of the driveway where we were playing. As it turns out, cars were actually stopping at the fake stop sign that we had left out there.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Traffic calming
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 07 Mar 2007, 4:11 PM
  2. Failed traffic calming
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 11 Aug 2006, 11:58 PM
  3. Traffic calming... to the eXtreme!
    Transportation Planning