Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Strongest dual degree for someone wanting to work in urban design primarily?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006

Strongest dual degree for someone wanting to work in urban design primarily?

What is probably the best dual degree to get if one wishes to become an urban designer?

1. A dual master's in Arch an L.A.?
    2. A dual master's in L.A. and U.P.?
    3. A dual master's in Arch. and U.P.?
    4. Or a triple Master's Arch, L.A., U.P. (this one is more of a joke)?

I am just curious. What have been your experiences with people that have those types of dual degrees?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Number one.

No offense Lou, but alot of the threads you write about design seem are becoming somewhat repetitive IMO, I think you have a good basis for what you want to do in design and you should stop questioning yourself.

Registered
    May 2005
    I would vote for Planning and Landscape Architecture. In my experience, it seems that Landscape Architects get to actually do more actual design (and building) of public places than any of the other design disciplines. I think having a planning background to compliment this helps orient you toward public concerns and intended uses of space in a way that, in my biased opinion of architecture schools these days, architects often miss.

I would agree that you should pick something and run with it, though. There is lots of room within all the things you mentioned to chart a course that excites you. Also, you need to suspend some disbelief in entering any schooling like this. At the outset, you don't really know what things are going to be like, what you might get turned on by, or what opportunities will present themselves.

To quote Jaime Lerner (three time Mayor of Curitiba, Brazil) "The important thing is to start."
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 43
    Last post: 02 Sep 2013, 4:37 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 May 2009, 5:29 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Oct 2007, 6:53 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Aug 2007, 8:15 AM
  5. Replies: 5