Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Guess the Year #24 (office technology edition)

Registered
    Feb 2004

Guess the Year #24 (office technology edition)

Haven't had one of these in a while. Give it a go - what year did this ad run?
    Oh, and remember bonus points awarded to those who supply rationales for their guesses.

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'll say 1948. It's heavy looking and obviously electric like all good, advanced technology in the 40s. It looks like it has smooth lines, but is missing the chrome/shiney metal element in favor of a matte finish.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    1952... You have to plug it in!
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    i'll take a stab at 1952.

if i was a typeface, i'd be IBM Secretarial.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Split the difference - 1950

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I think this is one of the earlier electric typewriters, because of the heavier metallic construction. Did we have IBM electric typewriters in the '40s and '50s? Not sure. I'm going with 1960.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    1957 - due to the shape of the machine and the fonts and formatting for the ad
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jul 2002

ibms

I would say 1954. I had an IBM model 1 I think. The carriage return was powered by a 1/2 inch wide belt and a washing machine motor. If you got in the way, it would hurt you.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I am going to say 1958. IBM moved from Manhattan to Armonk in the early 1960s. This ad has a Manhattan address.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    So far no one's got it on the money yet, but there are some really close guesses. I think Tom R correctly identified the model and jmello is correct about IBM moving to Armonk in the 60's.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I'll shoot and say 1960, changeable type ... at home! My memos will look amazing now!
    @GigCityPlanner

I think I know the answer, but only because I did a bit of research. (I'll not spoil the fun for you all.)

My first guess was 1961, however.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'll say 1959.

It is certainly not 1962 or later (when the Post Office adopted 'ZIP' Codes - see mailing address in ad)

Also the style of the ad itself tells me 'late 1950s' and that's the year not yet taken.

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Is it 1961?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The polls are closed.

The correct answer is 1953. So the closest (and most educated guess) was Tom R's.

Thank you for playing Guess the Year.......

whaddaya mean "what about HFH and Mski guessing 1952?"...... As if I'm going to willingly hand the coveted GTY gold medal over to either a Brit or worse yet a marsupial!

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    The polls are closed.

The correct answer is 1953. So the closest (and most educated guess) was Tom R's.

Thank you for playing Guess the Year.......

whaddaya mean "what about HFH and Mski guessing 1952?"...... As if I'm going to willingly hand the coveted GTY gold medal over to either a Brit or worse yet a marsupial!

We Wuz Robbed!

Registered
    Jul 2002

Gty

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    (Besides, I think "they" were on intelligence enhancement drugs, and wouldn't pass them around!)
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by HarryFossettsHat View post
    We Wuz Robbed!
    We appreciate your comments and concerns. Your remarks have been noted and a special blue ribbon fact-finding task force has been assigned to investigate if a pattern of corruption or discrimination has occured in the adjudication of Cyburbia's 'Guess the Year' contests. The task force is slated to submit it's initial findings to the Commmitte of Fair Judging Practices by no later November 18, 2008. You are invited to submit any written or oral testimony to the CFJP you may have at that time.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 10 Feb 2011, 3:17 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 18 Jan 2008, 10:47 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Dec 2007, 3:29 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last post: 22 Aug 2007, 5:58 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 10:35 PM