Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: International planning jobs

Registered
    Aug 2007
    A couple of questions about international planning jobs:

Could anybody shed any light on how difficult it is to find international planning jobs or how one could start going about finding such jobs?

Anybody know any regions of the world where particular specializations are especially needed? Actually, I'm personally interested in China. Anybody know what specializations are in demand in China?

Thank you

Pardon my ethnocentrism, but I am writing from the US and so when I wrote "international planning jobs" I meant jobs outside of the US.
    Thanks
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 13 Aug 2007 at 1:27 PM. Reason: double reply consolidated

Registered
    Dec 2006
    It really depends on what you specifically want to do in terms of the specialization and the country, so having a better idea of that of the bat will be a big help. Places like China, Vietnam, Thailand, etc are rife with opportunities for qualified folks. Generally speaking, you must have an advanced (Masters, PhD) degree at a minimum coupled with some sort of professional experience.

As someone who is finishing their undergraduate career and moving towards the graduate phase along with completing (tomorrow actually) an internship with a Thai government agency in Bangkok, I understand where you are coming from. My advice would be to immerse yourself as much as possible in several specializations and countries. Assuming you are currently in academia or are considering going back for an advanced degree, using Google Scholar is a good starting point to finding key issues and the major contributors to those on the world stage. Then start contacting these folks (most are university professors or fellows with places like the Brookings Institute or ULI, et al) and building your network from there.

Good luck, and PM/email me if I can help further!

Registered
    Aug 2007

Int'l Planning Jobs

Very interesting Planr!

I have some questions about your experiences. How did you get your internship? What kind of planning were you doing? Do you speak Thai? If not, would you have been able to land that internship? Was the internship paid?

That sounds like a really awesome experience and I would love to hear more about it.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    I had the good fortune of sitting next to the head of the agency at a luncheon arranged by a professor of mine who has done a lot of work for the Thai government and consulted in Thailand for the World Bank et al. We got to talking and a few weeks later I was getting my hands dirty. I basically served as a consultant for some TOD stuff and integrating BKK's mass transit options.

Long story short, as with most of life, it's all about who you know and taking advantage of every opportunity thrown your way

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 2:06 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 12 Jun 2007, 9:15 AM
  3. International Planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Dec 2006, 11:42 PM
  4. International Planning
    Introduce Yourself