Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: East Coast: planning or design programs

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007

East Coast: planning or design programs

I have about a 2.8gpa with a ok GRE score; a little over a years experience in public comprehensive planning along with 4 internships while a undergrad.

Does anyone have suggestions on which programs I could get into with a 2.8gpa. I'm considering Cleveland State, I turned down non-degree seeking status there last year; but that may be the route I will have to take to boost my gpa. However, I have not applied anywhere since my experience of fulltime employment which may have improved my chances. Will my experience help balance out my sub par gpa? Iím going to start applying around September for spring and fall 2008 programs. Any suggestions are appreciated!

-Chris

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007

A Possibility

Have you looked at/heard of Temple University-Ambler? I don't know much about the program, and I poked around the website & couldn't find specific gpa requirements, but it might be worth a look.

The Ambler campus is in suburban Philadelphia, about 15 or so min out.

Just a thought...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    What type of planning / design? That seems like a fairly wide area, and there's a wide variety of schools out there. For a MLA, you might try Morgan State in Baltimore.

Registered
    Sep 2007

hmm

Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA has a strong program that would probably accept you. It's not as well known nationally mostly because it's tailored more for professionals (so even as a 'full time student,' many of your classes will be at part time hours like an executive format) and practitioners. It's regionally well respected and Richmond's a great town.

You might also want to give thought to the University of Memphis or Clemson too. Check the Association of Collegiate Schools in Planning website to get a good list of accredited places and do some research.

If you're more into policy and not so much physical planning or design, you might also want to look into Public Policy programs. A decent MPP/MPA can go a long way and usually aren't as hard to find as a planning degree.

Good luck.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by wv06 View post
    I have about a 2.8gpa with a ok GRE score; a little over a years experience in public comprehensive planning along with 4 internships while a undergrad.

Does anyone have suggestions on which programs I could get into with a 2.8gpa. I'm considering Cleveland State, I turned down non-degree seeking status there last year; but that may be the route I will have to take to boost my gpa. However, I have not applied anywhere since my experience of fulltime employment which may have improved my chances. Will my experience help balance out my sub par gpa? Iím going to start applying around September for spring and fall 2008 programs. Any suggestions are appreciated!

-Chris
    I graduated from Iowa State with a 2.8 in planning with 1 internship (which I had for almost 2 years) and got into Ball State, Nebraska, and Arizona State's Master's of urban planning programs.......I think you're experience will definately be a positive. Do you have an undergrad in planning? San Jose State is probably another good one and they accept spring admission I go to ASU now, it's nice and all, but I know know anyone down here, so it's been a unpleasant transition from my amazing social life in Iowa..................I miss being an undergrad

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by drockisu07 View post
    I graduated from Iowa State with a 2.8 in planning with 1 internship (which I had for almost 2 years) and got into Ball State, Nebraska, and Arizona State's Master's of urban planning programs.......I think you're experience will definately be a positive. Do you have an undergrad in planning? San Jose State is probably another good one and they accept spring admission I go to ASU now, it's nice and all, but I don't know anyone down here, so it's been a unpleasant transition from my amazing social life in Iowa..................I miss being an undergrad
    Don't know anyone

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 08 Aug 2013, 2:22 PM
  2. What school? West Coast vs East Coast
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 Apr 2013, 9:18 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last post: 19 Nov 2012, 1:02 PM
  4. Replies: 17