Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspensions and bannings discussion

I would be very pissed, too. Yeah, you're right it's a joke but if you didn't know it, it could still be offensive if you take this forum seriously.
    Last edited by landscape-planner; 01 Apr 2008 at 1:04 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I thought it was brilliant!

The best April Fools Day gag in a long time. I laughed out loud while I read about my banning and the comments of the others. I chuckled for a while afterwards.

Kudos to Dan for such an imaginative prank.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Yeah, now that the cat's outta the bag and I gave you guys the link, you can see the computer puts your name into Dan's post, so you know it is a genuine prank.

At the time, I DIDNT know it was a prank and took it seriously and was VERY VERY upset (it takes a lot to get me angry) I almost snapped at a co-worker after reading it, and I almost never do that. I am STILL not cooled down yet.

I can laugh at jokes at my expense as long as they are funny. People take jokes differently, and I thought this was very inappropriate and unprofessional, especially since I personally have had some serious issues recently with at least one person who is now banned permanently from this site. I don't care if this were April Fool's Day or not, it was wrong.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 2007
    I thought it was a hilarious prank. I'm gonna post by bannage in some other sites.
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Funny. Yesterday I was wondering what the Cyburbia April Fool's joke would be.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I am still not laughing. I think it's a sick joke for a forum that takes suspensions and bannings seriously. I e-mailed Dan about this (before I even knew it was a joke) and he still has not responded). My opinion of cyburbia has totally changed today for the worse.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I like the way "all the other mods" chimed in with "responses." Funny, funny, funny.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I don't even know who the mods are...that was lost on me.

Edit: And you got me!!! Heehee...
    Last edited by Tresmo; 01 Apr 2008 at 6:19 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2005

nrschmid

That is good stuff nrschmid , are you serious?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Dan, you could have opened the day with a blank screen that said nothing but "Thanks to those who purchased a Cyburbia Plus Membership. I have cashed your checks, closed my PayPal account, and left for Costa Rica. Cyburbia is now closed."

I really thought you guys were yanking my chain until I saw the FAC posts about the notice. I guess that's better than a couple years ago on my birthday, I saw my name in red and thought you were yanking my chain but you weren't.

Do you mods really call each other all those names behind closed doors?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    If you're going to ban RichmondJake, then I'm going to use my admin powers to reinstate APM, acchhhoooo, and Electric_Ashalar....and remove the IP blocks for Morin .....

Might as well let the whole site go to hell....
    Did you forget Stardarcy? My all-time favorite.

EDIT: the year I liked best was when all the posts from FAC were deducted. Maister Bra had like what, 4 posts? I don't care who you are, that was funny stuff.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 02 Apr 2008 at 8:40 AM. Reason: removed one of the "names" in the quote per the request of Dan
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I really liked the one last year with the comrade commie planner forvms!

Mike

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    That is good stuff nrschmid , are you serious?
    Let me rephrase this, yes I KNOW THIS IS A JOKE...

But when I first read it, stupid stupid me took dan's post seriously.

Last year's commie post was stupid, and this joke was stupid. I guess I know what to expect come next year.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I thought this year was better than last year...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Comments: See below. Is this an awesome banhammer image or what?
    Yes it is.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004

Clearly those are Russian bears. Looks like one of the riders has an AK-47 and the other one's got a PPSh-41 submachine gun. I'm surprised those bruins tolerate the racket (or for that matter even the riders!).

All I can say is that image NEEDS desperately to be airbrushed onto a van (with shag carpet on the interior!)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Found on the LOL cats site

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    May 3 is the birthday of SPAM, on a saturday no less, not the meat product but the computer junk mail.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    User: babyakhella (203.87.177.10, Philippines)
    Rules violation: Registration details typical of a spammer.
    Moderator action: Permanent ban: 5 May 2008
    Comments: Like bloody hell you're in "australia". Now is NOT a good time to be fcuking with me with fake registration information. Probably another Pinoy spammer with nothing better to do than to spam this site with the same fcuking old cut-and-paste nursing agency ads. Go away.

FWIW, I don't think this photo, unlike most of the others used for this purpose, is at all funny. It depicts genuine violence and I think it is inappropriate.

Moderator note:
    Post moved from May 2008 Suspensions and Bannings thread to Suspension and Banning discussion thread.

Your point is duly noted. I do not know the source for the image, however, and cannot verify if it does, in fact, show what appears to be a violent attack. Please keep in mind that the user banned along with this post is an Indian Spammer, posing as an urban planner in Australia. Indian Spammers attempt to litter this site with all manner of spam on a virtual daily basis. I've only been modding for 18 months or so, and I'm pretty sick of the sub-continent spam: Dan's given his heart and soul to this place for 13+ years -- I can't begin to imagine the volume of spam he's seen keeping this place as neat and clean as it is.

Nonetheless, the admins and mods will discuss your concern. Thanks and carry on.
    ~Dunker
    Last edited by Gedunker; 08 May 2008 at 5:04 PM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Otis, I don't want to dismiss your concern over the image. I was just laid off, and to have a spammer appear not long afterwards just exacerbated the "don't even think of f**king with me" spirit of my mood at the time. The image reflected my mood at the time, which was not very forgiving.

FWIW, the spammer was from the Philippines. Just as every new user from India is now suspect since so much SEO and forum spamming activity originates from that country, the ratio of legitimate new users to spammers from the Philippines is now heavily weighed towards the spammers.

When a new user enters a very generic location in their profile (usually just the name of a country, or an obvious major city, often misspelled), and the IP address resolves to a different country, they're almost always spammers. Overseas spammers that enter fake registration information usually don't claim to be from "Prairie Village, Kansas", "Lake Macquarie, NSW" or even "Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala State" but instead "losanges" or "us.a" or "i am in The london uk". Not all spammers enter fake registration information, but when they do it's glaringly obvious.. This user claimed to be from just "australia". That, and an IP in the Philippines, tells me "spam is a'comin'."

Registered
    Mar 2002
    What bothers me about using that photo is that it likely is a picture of someone actually being killed (note the guy with the rock in his hand running up, for instance). It just struck me as overboard on the violence level.

Dan, I understand your situation and mood, and I don't want to discount that, nor do I want to discount the problem of spammers. I fully support what you are doing to eliminate their imact on Cyburbia, and believe me, I appreciate the effort and heart you have put into Cyburbia. I am a strong supporter of what you do. As I said, I like most of the ban-hammer pics (I tolerate the cats) and I laughed out loud at the pigeon on the sculpture.

Maybe if it was Melissa hitting the guy, that would be OK.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Cyburbia does not exist as a platform for you to post links to your forum. Bubba -- whadda y'all say?

I say quit posting pics of me, would ya?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Dan, that mass mailing sure made for a hell of a lot of work for you.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Dan, that mass mailing sure made for a hell of a lot of work for you.
    I'm only about 20% through the bounces, too. I'm announcing only the active users whose email addresses bounce like the butts in a rap music video. For the others, they're just quietly going into the "inactive" group.

The really hard part is checking each email address individually. There were about 350 of them that went "boing!"

I farked up on a mailing to my "Cyburbia contact" list; a list of Internet planner-types who aren't Cyburbia members. Didn't do a BCC. I suck.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Suspensions and bannings
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Oct 2011, 4:47 PM