Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Suspensions and bannings discussion

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Wow. Almost two weeks into the month, and no spam.

Edit: I spoke too soon. Literally. There's one suspicious user that just registered. Gonna' check the logs tonight, and probably banhammer.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Proof that Indian spammer keyboards don't have a shift key: http://www.stopforumspam.com/country/in
    I see this mentioned a lot in the banning threads. What is the significance of not having a shift key?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    because the profiles of indian spammers used uppercase letters far less frequently than legitimate users. names were usually all lowercase, and they usually claimed to be in "the newyork", "lasanges", "london", and so on.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Because of the recent flood of profile spammers, we had to resume email validation for new users. Human verification questions for registration have changed. We also banned numerals in the usernames of new users. I hope these actions will be temporary.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    We made it through the night and morning okay. Turning off email validation, to see if there's any changes.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Looks like changing the human verification questions for registration did the trick.

On an unrelated note, Moldova has been added to the Axis of Spam.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Looks like changing the human verification questions for registration did the trick.

On an unrelated note, Moldova has been added to the Axis of Spam.
    Are you sure they were intentionally spamming? Perhaps they just had too much to drink and got caught up in the whole commerciality of teh internets.

Urban19 banned? What was last straw?

Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    Urban19 banned? What was last straw?
    A history of one-trick pony posting and ad hominem attacks.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Sri Lanka added to the Axis of Spam country block. I don't know what it is about subcontinental Asia that makes it such a hotbed of manual "link builder" spam, but it is.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Not my topics

Did you folks really believe that I would post anything containing a plethora of misspelled words and hawking a bunch of snake oil? And on the evening of July 4. You know I had better things to do during that time frame, mostly involving valve oil and pedaling.

Hope the discussion was entertaining. I deleted the e-mail address, changed my passwords, etc.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    We figured it was a hacking. Thing is, we used to get such messages all the time from Indian users. Many signed up for services that would access their mailboxes, and send invites to every person they had ever sent or received email from. They were also prone to "send to all" messages. We had to change the Forums email address after it got signed up to a listserv about public transportation in some Indian city, and couldn't get off.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Did Starring_Emma make a short return this afternoon? Disgusting and classless.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Did Starring_Emma make a short return this afternoon? Disgusting and classless.
    Well it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... but yes, it does appear so.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Not every spammer posts. We catch a lot in the registration process. New members from IP addresses certain countries are sent to a moderation queue for manual approval. We investigate every one, but sometimes the wannabe spammers are quire obvious. Now, instead of banning them, we delete them before they post.

Today we had ThinkersED from an IP address in India (117.219.145.152), who claimed a location in "houtston". Deleted without a second thought. If I was spamming an Indian message board, I'd at least spell my fake location correctly.

Because of all the other preventative measures on the site, it's only the occasional human-registered spammer, more often than not from the Asian subcontinent, that manages to make it to the registration stage.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    zoroark4321, real name of "Flint Stone" from "Beverly Hills, CA". IP in the Philippines. I don't think so.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    And today in the Subcontinental queue, we have alikhan from "USa", with an IP in ... Pakistan. Uh huh.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Profile spammers are hitting us real hard. Four registrations yesterday fro the Philippines. This morning, there was one Indonesian, three Indians, and three Filipino profile spammers. Probably a lot more to come through the day.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008

Why was Duke of Dystopia banned, instead of suspended?

Dan, unless there's a lot I don't know about Duke of Dystopia's Cyburbia etiquette, please seriously changing his "ban" to a "suspension".

He'd been a Cyburbia member since 2003, and I've really enjoyed most of his posts.

I realize that he's made some recent personal attacks, but if that turns out to be his only offense, then isn't a "suspension" enough for him to "hang out and dry"?

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I only banned him for one weekday, he will be back on Tuesday. Had he crossed the line on a weekday, I would have only banned him for a day, but since few people post on weekends anyway I gave him a time out until Tuesday.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    4.3. Richter Scale banning? Earth shaking, I guess.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2005
    Not sure why Bubba got suspended. He had just got done describing how his wife was stuck in traffic for 11 hours, and then people pile on about how "Southerners" are basically morons who can't handle snow. While I think the piling on was done somewhat in jest, I think his responses were justified.

I would've been super pissed off as well if that happened to my wife, especially if our daughters were with her.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I wasn't here when whatever happened happened. Anyhow, I think there were probably extenuating circumstances, and Bubba's been in time out long enough, so I granted a reprieve.

Everybody play nice now. Think before y'all go poking others with sticks.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Not sure why Bubba got suspended. He had just got done describing how his wife was stuck in traffic for 11 hours, and then people pile on about how "Southerners" are basically morons who can't handle snow. While I think the piling on was done somewhat in jest, I think his responses were justified.

I would've been super pissed off as well if that happened to my wife, especially if our daughters were with her.
    All apologies to Bubba, Feel free to throw something at me for being an ass.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    All apologies to Bubba.
    We're cool - my anger melted away with the snow (plus you really didn't deserve it in the first place).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

More at Cyburbia

1. Suspensions and bannings
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Oct 2011, 4:47 PM