Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planner for the NYC Department of Planning

Registered
    Apr 2005

Planner for the NYC Department of Planning

Hi all-

I received my Masters degree in Urban Geography 2 years ago and have spent time since then working for a think-tank in DC. I am now looking for jobs in NY and believe I am close to getting an offer from the NYC Dept of Planning. The work sounds interesting, but I'm a little worried (judging by the people I met and the overall office environment where I interviewed/would be working) that it's quite bureaucratic, with little room for personal/professional growth. It IS a city agency, afterall. Still, I think it might be a great opportunity. Has anybody here ever worked for the NYC Dept of Planning? If so, what were your likes/dislikes? Thank You.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Which borough office did you interview with? I interviewed with the city's economic development agency and I heard similar sentiments expressed about the planning department - not to mention the salaries which fail to reflect the absurdly high cost of living. I do believe that there is a residency requirement for planners as well, though I could be mistaken.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I interviewed for a general position at their downtown headquarters - overseeing Borough office activity. The salary is low... and I'm apprehensive that I'll end up mired in red tape. That said, a couple of years at the NYC Dept of Planning might be a helpful item on my resume as I pursue a planning career further down the line, given that I currently lack a planning degree. Thank you for your input!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I would think that working for NYC would look good on a resume. If the office has little room for growth, cut your teeth with them and work for a year or two then look elsewhere.
    Of course, having NYC on your resume may open doors to other big cities; but if you wish to work for a smaller community, NYC may make you look a little intimidating and may give off the impression that you'd be bored in a smaller community.

Just a couple thoughts from a Planner in a small city out west.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning department cooperation
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Jul 2012, 10:53 AM
  2. Fire department planner
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Jan 2010, 11:33 AM
  3. Fragmented planning department