Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Milwaukee October 2007

Registered
    Feb 2004

Milwaukee October 2007

Went up to Milwaukee last weekend (10/13/07) just to have a look around. Here's a few photos.

Lakefront

Wells St., downtown

River from Riverwalk

Apartment building on Astor St.

Public Market, this looked brand new and was rather upscale

Downtown

Art Gallery

Residential on Pearson St., I wondered if this had some other use at some point

Italian market on Brady St.

Third Ward

Bus shelter, Brady @ Van Buren

Entrance to Public Market

Infill on Pearson St.

New Amtrak/Greyhound Station

Residential on Astor St.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wow you were right around the corner from my house with that Italian Market pic.
    They have the BEST deli.

You're right, the public market is fairly new, also a bust. It's like a typical grocery store minus the toilet paper aisle. It was funny when the neon "L" burnt out and is became the "Pu_bic Market"

Registered
    May 2003
    Nice set of photos. You seemed to visit near Downtown, did you get around to any other areas?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by iamme View post
    Nice set of photos. You seemed to visit near Downtown, did you get around to any other areas?
    I was around the Brady St. area, thats about as far from downtown as I got. I went somewhat blindly (although I did look up an old thread that suggested Brady St.) so I walked up there and back and then down to the Third Ward. Any suggestions on anything else to see for next time?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Back in the days when I was a fed I spent several weeks in Milwaukee and was surprised and impressed. The downtown was nice and the amenities were great. I thought the public museum was far ahead of most museums in how it put on its displays (this from someone who lived in DC and went to the Smithsonian museums on lunch breaks).

Seems to me there was a bar downtown that had "triple bubble night" but almost all memories of that place were a bit hazy ... Could that have been the three triple scotches I had?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    I was around the Brady St. area, thats about as far from downtown as I got. I went somewhat blindly (although I did look up an old thread that suggested Brady St.) so I walked up there and back and then down to the Third Ward. Any suggestions on anything else to see for next time?
    The Fifth Ward; Sherman Park, and bayview are all gems

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    The Fifth Ward; Sherman Park, and bayview are all gems
    I'll have to check them out. I took the Mega Bus up, it was $15 RT, and tickets can be had for a $1.00 if you buy them early enough. I'll definitely be back. Just out of curiosit where are those areas located? My map doesn't list neighborhoods. Major intersections would be most helpful.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    I'll have to check them out. I took the Mega Bus up, it was $15 RT, and tickets can be had for a $1.00 if you buy them early enough. I'll definitely be back. Just out of curiosit where are those areas located? My map doesn't list neighborhoods. Major intersections would be most helpful.
    Fifth Ward - south of downtown along Water Street (becomes First Street after you cross the river). NHPlanner's uncle owns an awesome restaurant there on the corner of Pittsburgh and Barclay -- called the Barclay Gallery and Cafe. The Social is another fine place to eat down there.

Sherman Park - Northwest side, the best part is around 51st Blvd and Chambers. A great old neighborhood with classic charm and cahracter. Also has a thirving hassidic (sp?) jewish commuity

Bayview - south of downtown, over the Hoan (harbor) bridge. Very Bohemian.

You've already been to my neigbborhood, so I wont brag

Registered
    Oct 2007

Bayview is a must

I concur that Bayview is worth seeing. It's sort of the neighborhood adjacent to the South Shore Yacht Club, if that is on your map. Or any area east of Kinnikinnic, south of the Industrial Valley (meaning south of downtown).

I have not been there in a while, but the commercial corridor along National Avenue used to be sort of fun.

I grew up just south of Sherman Park, in an area now known as Washington Heights. These areas will give you a feel for a traditional Milwaukee neighborhood. Generally, that would be anything west of Sherman Avenue (approximately 43rd Street) between about North Avenue and Villard. Washington Park, located at the southern end of Sherman Avenue (at Lloyd) was the original zoo in Milwaukee, and has a great bandstand that is being restored or was recently restored. A Route 30 bus heading west on Wisconsin Avenue will take you to the intersection of Sherman and Lloyd.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sasra - good additions. I used to line in Sherman Park on Melvina St. just southwest of Sherman Blvd. and Capitol Drive.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Caption Contest 17 October, 2007
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Oct 2007, 7:54 PM
  2. Caption contest: 16 October 2007
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 17 Oct 2007, 9:43 AM
  3. October 12, 2007 Caption Contest
    Friday Afternoon Club