Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Graphical representation of urban design

Registered
    Apr 2003

Graphical representation of urban design

As planners, many of us have had technical regulations drilled into our heads that when we see the physical built environment, we may think about the specific code regulations that shaped that environment. But others might not be able to see it that way.

Are there any resources such as books or websites that teach or provide information to improve graphical representation of Urban Design?

How are your drawing skills? What do you do to improve them?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Books on visualizing site design:
    Visualizing Density Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, helps the general public to visualize the net density in residential areas.
    Penguin Dictionary of Architecture: simple book with sketches for various architectural terms (so people know what a frieze or a vault is).
    Anything by Randall Arendt
    Time Saving Standards for Site Planning by Chiara and Koppleman
    Land Development Handbook: Planning, Engineering, and Surveying
    Vendor catalogs (lighting, pavers, plant material, benches): so the public can see what uni-lock paver, Lumec lighting, or 5 gallon pot for a plant will look like).

Drawing books:
    Plan Graphics: Drawing, Delineation, Lettering by Theodore Walker
    Architectural Graphics by Ching
    Drawing and Designing with Confidence: A Step-by-Step Guide by Lin
    Landscape Graphics: Plan, Section, and Perspective Drawing of Landscape Spaces by Grant W. Reid

My drawing skills: need more work drafting on trace paper as well as rendering.
    How do I get better: practice, practice, practice.

Hope this helps

Take a look at the work of Ball State professor Paul Laseau -- might not be exactly what you're looking for but it'd be a start.

I draw pretty well, but I'd say I'm more of a delineator than artist. I just enjoy sketching, so I get good quality drawing pens or pencils and let 'er rip.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    As planners, many of us have had technical regulations drilled into our heads that when we see the physical built environment, we may think about the specific code regulations that shaped that environment. But others might not be able to see it that way.

Are there any resources such as books or websites that teach or provide information to improve graphical representation of Urban Design?

How are your drawing skills? What do you do to improve them?
    Responsive Enviroments by Bentley, Alcock, Murrain, McGlynn, and Smith

For drawing, forget it, there is no book that will teach you how to draw to express design, take a course in first figure drawing from your local community callege, or a graphic architectural representation class - those might be harder to find.

And remember... as much as some dissmiss the notion, there is an intuitive part of design that can not be taught or learned. You can learn best practices though, and those will take you a long way.
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like "The Urban Design Handbook: Techniques and Working Methods"
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jan 2013, 3:14 PM
  2. International representation?
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 28 May 2009, 10:40 AM