Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Zoning incentives for car sharing, moped parking, bike racks etc.

Zoning incentives for car sharing, moped parking, bike racks etc.

Does anyone know of any cities that provide incentives for providing parking for car sharing services, mopeds, motorcycles, compact cars, bikes etc.?

Specifically, I'm looking for examples of transit-oriented high-density zoning (we're talking 9-10 times the lot area) where parking incentives are built into the parking requirement.

I've heard that Seattle has car sharing incentives. Maybe Portland or other cities too? Anyone know of what specific ordinances to look at?

Thanks again!

Moderator note:
    Yo, cityskip: welcome to Cyburbia. We're glad to have you. However, we do not permit starting the same thread in multiple forums. We have deleted several duplicate threads you started. Choose the best location for a thread and place it there, and there only. If you aren't sure, feel free to contact a Mod and we'll be more than happy to help you decide the best location. Thank you.
    Carry on.
    ~Gedunker
    Last edited by Gedunker; 11 Aug 2007 at 2:19 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I'm having some weird issues accessing the SF planning website, but here is a write-up from an advocacy group describing the downtown parking reform legislation that passed last year in SF:

http://www.livablecity.org/campaigns/c3.html

The bicycle and car-sharing parking portions apply citywide. There aren't exactly "incentives" for car-sharing and bike spots, but there are requirements now in place. In addition, since nearly every development of any size ends up needing community (and Board of Supervisors)support to proceed, nearly every development of the last few years has exceeded the numbers required in this legislation. So, while there aren't exactly incentives, there are certainly unwritten incentives - if you don't include a certain amount - you probably won't get a greenlight.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Portland, OR does. They handle it in parking; if you can show that you are incorporating transit access, bike access, etc. into the plan, they waive some of the parking requirements (which are already pretty low, there)
    Since parking is land intensive, this can greatly increase the buildable area available and lower land costs.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I am planning on instituting demand-based parking requirements which will allow for car-sharing, bicycles and mass transit - but they (the applicant) have to show they are actively promoting these options to their employees and even participating in funding for bike lanes, etc.

it's on my to-do list anyway -

Thanks. Wow, and I'm fighting to get the parking requirement below 40%.

Here are some more resources:
    http://www.epa.gov/piedpage/pdf/EPAParkingSpaces06.pdf

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/12/re...8&partner=rssn

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Here in Baltimore we use it for traffic impact mitigation - not necessarily an incentive I suppose.

Exactly how does it work in Baltimore?

Registered
    Dec 2005

City Skip

Check your private messages. As far as "how it works", right now it's a LOT of negotiations.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Tracking bike racks
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Aug 2013, 11:43 PM
  2. Regulating bike racks in downtown
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 18 Dec 2009, 4:15 PM
  3. Bike racks and locking devices
    Transportation Planning