Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Books on Architecture

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    While I have a minor in pre-architecture, I want to know more. I want to understand not only what things are called, but how things are constructed, why they are constructed that way, and why things are not constructed in a particular way.

I know the different detail elements of different styles and who started them or where they started, but that is about where my knowledge ends.

What books or magazines would you suggest to further explain the vast world of architecture?

Ok... please people, donít all try to post suggestions at once. There is more than enough time for everyone to have a change to post!
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 28 Aug 2007 at 4:34 PM. Reason: consecutive replies consolidated
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jan 2005
    M'skis: I've been looking for the same general resources on the world of architecture, to no avail.

I don't think its a field where someone has written an architecture 101 book; everything is about various styles and nothing that distills it all into one.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'd imagine this is one of the more complete books on the subject: http://http://www.amazon.com/Banister-Fletchers-History-Architecture-Twentieth/dp/0750622679/ref=sr_1_1/104-2552780-1467152?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193777725&sr=1-1

Massive volume, 1500+ pages, arranged by region and time period. I have a copy I'd be willing to let you borrow as long as you pay the postage. Its a bit pricy to purchase.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Maybe "Home" by Witold Rybczynski is along the lines of what you are looking for. Once you get past the first chapter, the rest of the book is a history of how people (Europeans and Americans) lived in buildings from about 1500 on--what they used the various rooms for and how this related to society at the time. And discussion of how style and trends of the time play into design of homes.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Aug 2012, 11:03 AM
  2. Must-have architecture books?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 Oct 2007, 3:27 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 May 2007, 3:06 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 06 Sep 2006, 10:38 AM