Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Katrina aid goes toward luxury condos

Registered
    Jan 2005

Katrina aid goes toward luxury condos

Rich developers are getting richer by cashing in on Katrina aid and huge tax breaks that is for building housing for displaced Gulf Coast residents. Low income people in the region will not be able to afford the vast majority of these new condos. So who will buy/live them? Another way to push out the poor and minorities and bring in white, (or black) middle/upper class. Can you say "gen-tri-fi-ca-tion"? I knew that you could. See article in USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...y-condos_N.htm

I am I the only one who thinks this?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Nothing surprises me with this federal administration. It is a new version of urban renewal "negro removal" from the 1970's. Follow the money...see what other federal grants and incentives Sen. Shelby has been able to obtain for the needy in his fair state. Makes a Crimson Tide fan proud.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm.....

Quote Originally posted by big_g View post
    Rich developers are getting richer by cashing in on Katrina aid and huge tax breaks that is for building housing for displaced Gulf Coast residents. Low income people in the region will not be able to afford the vast majority of these new condos. So who will buy/live them? Another way to push out the poor and minorities and bring in white, (or black) middle/upper class. Can you say "gen-tri-fi-ca-tion"? I knew that you could. See article in USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...y-condos_N.htm

I am I the only one who thinks this?
    Let me guess Halliburton is the developer.....ha ha ha ha ha......classic....just classic.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I hate to say it, but maybe its a good thing that it is spurring development far inland where it is less likely to be damaged by future hurricanes and flooding and not sucking up Federal flood insurance funds. Yeah, its horrible that its condos for the rich, but it looks like a lot of affordable units are going up as well. With those kind of tax breaks, I think I'm going to suggest to some people to put their money there. Ultimately its the same old story, who gets the mansions and who gets the ruins.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Typical government program, good intentions twisted beyond recognizability. Get rid of this welfare and problem will solve itself. Get good insurance or don't build on the coast, dummy!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    How dare they use tax incentives to create a high end product that will help bring further money beyond the typical tax generated dollars into a community... even though most planners and cities do it all the time for major corporations, including big box retailers, who come into our cities.

The GO Zone was not intended for gentrification but for economic development... including an 8 million dollar mall in one of the areas that was hit harder. How many PA planners have used the Keystone Opportunity Zone? Or in Michigan using a Renaissance Zone?

This is small stuff given that the government is not giving out money for this, only giving out tax credits which is an extremely common governmental incentive at all levels. I would want to know why the lower 9th Ward still looks the way that it does, or why Biloxi MS is still in shambles. Now that is something to be concerned for. Also, Halliburton is not the developer; I donít know where youíre getting your information.

If you had the money to build condoís and get a big tax break for it knowing that there is an amazing market near by who would be interested? I think that it is great what they are doing. Property values will go up and it will be a benefit to the general public.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    That article just focuses on what's going on in Tuscaloosa, but the same is happening in ground zero. Developers are using GOZone incentives to build high-priced condos and such right here in the New Orleans area, thus leaving a real dearth of affordable housing. It's a shame when some people choose to live in a toxic FEMA trailer because it's all they can afford without living on the street.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Luxury new construction --> affordable housing
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 Apr 2010, 1:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2008, 6:51 PM
  3. Hurricane Katrina Inundation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 May 2006, 3:56 PM
  4. Luxury condos in old mill buildings - a good thing?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Jun 2005, 1:45 PM