Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Multiple letters of recommendation

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007

Multiple letters of recommendation

I plan on applying to at least 4 graduate schools, each requiring at least 2-3 letters of recomendation. In addition, I might apply for a dual degree as well, which doubles the number of letters I need. Do people generally ask professors/employers to write multiple letters or copy them and send them to multiple schools or is this rude? If so, what should I do?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    I'm in the same position - applying to 5 schools and needing 3 recommendations for each school. Looking at the forms for my schools - they all ask for slightly different information, and there is an option to mark if the recommendation is "sealed" (meaning you haven't read it so the recommender can be more honest...)

Many of my friends have been recommenders (not for planning school, for MBA school) and have written multiple letters for the same person. While the info asked for is all slightly different, it is similar enough to re-use parts for each different letter.

I'm planning on asking each person for 5 different letters - then thanking them profusely and buying them something.

Additional question: can I ask a co-worker for a letter? I'm a teacher, so someone having 3 years experience (me) is on the same "level" as someone with 30+ experience (the person I would ask.)

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Its been awhile but I did the same as Tasha. Most Profs and employers are pleased that you asked them.
    Good Luck

Registered
    May 2007
    Quote Originally posted by rsmith23 View post
    . Do people generally ask professors/employers to write multiple letters or copy them and send them to multiple schools or is this rude? If so, what should I do?

Ask whoever is filling out the recomendation form to write a letter also, and that letter make sure they save it on their hard drive in case you send that to multiple colleges...

Good Luck
    :)

The present is a gift

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. General letters of recommendation: useful?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Jul 2010, 1:08 PM
  2. Recommendation letters
    Student Commons
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 11 Nov 2009, 11:46 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 31 Jul 2007, 2:46 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 Jun 2007, 5:49 PM
  5. Letters of Recommendation