Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AICP maintenance and online courses

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005

AICP maintenance and online courses

Now that those of us with AICP status must now maintain our certification I’m starting to think about the best way to do that. Conferences seem the easiest. You just have to set there and be “infotained”. However, it is often a gamble as to whether a session or even a whole conference will actually provide something useful that you can apply to your job. The more I attend the less value they seem to have.

I’m wondering about some of the on-line web based courses offered by Bloustein at Rutgers http://www.policy.rutgers.edu/bocep/ or through Planetizen .

AICP has not yet accredited these programs but both programs anticipate that they will be. At between $99.00 and $260.00 per course for 14 or so credits they seemed reasonably priced.

Has anyone taken any of these courses? Were they any good? Did you learn anything of value? Would you do it again?
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 31 Mar 2008 at 2:11 PM. Reason: plannetizen links removed

Registered
    Mar 2004

Sounds good.....

Has AICP ever published the rules for accepting an outside educational course into the mandatory credit system? The classes you identify are exactly the type needed to keep planners involved and educated about current topics and at a reasonable price.

I've enjoyed the National Business Institute seminars and CLE (Pricey) meetings I've attended in the past.
    Skilled Adoxographer

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Word on the grapevine is some people attend the national and state conferences, log their credits on the APA website, but never attend a single session. Well, that's what I hear anyway. I wonder if it works if you don't register for a conference and still claim credits? That one in North Dakota looks to have some interesting sessions....

Did I mention I have a framed certificate on the wall of my office recognizing my commitment to continuing training and education?

Reply to RichmondJake

I'm getting ready to attend the Florida APA conference, and I heard they are going to make us sign in for each session in order to validate the credits. I wonder if someone will really check. I guess if folks are going to cheat, they'll find a way.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    I am getting ready for the FAPA conference as well. They still haven't posted the CM credits for each session so I guess we will just have to wait and see if it was worth our time and money to attend. All i know is that if they do their traditional 1 credit equals one hour, I will have to go to sessions from 8 -5:15 nonstop and still won't end up with 1/2 my credits for the required 2 year timeframe...

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Are the APA/AICP offering any online courses? I went looking, but couldn't find anything. I know there was discussion about allowing a limited number of credits from on-line sources, but didn't see anything on the AICP site about them being countable anymore...

Any ideas??
    "There are people in every time and every land who want to stop history in its tracks. They fear the future, mistrust the present and invoke the security of a comfortable past which, in fact, never existed." RFK

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I am incredibly mad about how they handled the whole requirement system. There seems to be no obvious plan other than attend the national meeting every year. I don't know about the rest of you, but my office will not pay for me to attend such junkets yearly, and the cost of the AICP plus paying for expensive in house training is too much for me to justify. We're planners, not politicians!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I too am very frustrated with the APA and the whole CM thing for AICP's. Similar to what DetroitPlanner said, my organization will not pay for my membership and with financial constraints my attendance at most conferences.

Furthermore, if I choose to attend the Michigan Association of Planners conference there is not assurance that the sessions I attend will be approved by the APA.

Below is an e-mail I got from MAP regarding this situation.

Dear AICP Member,

The Michigan Association of Planning has received several questions from AICP members regarding certification maintenance credits offered during the 2007 Planning Michigan Conference scheduled for October 17-20th.

As a provider of Certification Maintenance (CM) credits, we must first register our courses for review and at this time, the American Planning Association does not have a registered provider program up and running.

Once APA's registered provider system is operational (APA plans to have this ready by late summer), organizations may register courses. The
    Michigan Association of Planning can not advertise courses as approved for Certification Maintenance credit until APA approves the credits.

Until such a system is in place, we cannot claim CM credit.

The Michigan Association of Planning feels fairly confident that our courses will meet the criteria. All sessions may not be approved, but you can register for sessions that interest you, and if the course you registered for is not approved for CM credit, you can change your sessions as late as the day of the conference. We will have a method to sign in and out of sessions to help you keep track of your certification maintenance records.

If you have questions for the American Institute of Certified Planners, they request that you submit your questions via email to aicpcm@planning.org
    This is just frustrating beyond belief

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The letter just says wait till we figure this out, oh and come to the conference because there might be an opportunity to get some credits there.

Well waiting is not cutting it any more. I do have specific needs. Is it too much to ask for to know what sessions will count before I outlay some $1,000 for a STATE conference? I also don't know why they can't hold these things at a centralized 'Holiday Inn' instead of at the high dollar resort property they usually hold them at.. but thats a different issue.

Its almost as if they are out of touch with the average planner's needs and budget.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2004

Wow.....

Makes me glad to have gotten my last CPD certificate in May 2007 (with a letter from AICP), giving me a breather until Dec. 31, 2009 for CM requirements

Certified planners holding valid CPD certificates will be exempt from CM requirements through the end of the calendar year in which the certificate expiration date occurs or until December 31, 2009 — whichever comes first. The two-year CM reporting cycle for such planners would begin on January 1 of the following year, but no later than January 1, 2010. Starting on January 1, 2010, everyone will be responsible for upholding Certification Maintenance requirements.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I've maintained my APA membership and AICP certification because of a general committment to the profession rather than out of necessity or any direct benefit. The past year's demonstrated arrogance by APA leadership in imposing the certification requirements and deadlines without having the foresight to work out the mechanics of determining the worth of internal or external CM credits is the final straw for me. When my current membership expires, so does my committment to APA. Perhaps there needs to be a Code of Ethics for treatment of their membership.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Makes me glad to have gotten my last CPD certificate in May 2007 (with a letter from AICP), giving me a breather until Dec. 31, 2009 for CM requirements

Certified planners holding valid CPD certificates will be exempt from CM requirements through the end of the calendar year in which the certificate expiration date occurs or until December 31, 2009 — whichever comes first. The two-year CM reporting cycle for such planners would begin on January 1 of the following year, but no later than January 1, 2010. Starting on January 1, 2010, everyone will be responsible for upholding Certification Maintenance requirements.
    I'm good until 2010 as well. Hopefully the bugs will be worked out in CM by then.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    oy vey, and I'm just getting to walk into the fire

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS courses online
    Information Technology
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Apr 2010, 11:04 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Mar 2009, 12:15 PM
  3. Replies: 14