Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Economic and community development programs at CU Denver any good?

Registered
    Aug 2007

Economic and community development programs at CU Denver any good?

I'm looking at planning masters programs and was wondering if anyone can tell me what schools are strong in community and economic development? My wife wants to move to Denver, so I'd be particularly interested if anyone can comment on how the program at CU Denver does in this area.

Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I'm a 2005 graduate of the MURP program, and would characterize it as very strong in physical planning (site planning, urban design, etc.), as it is tied to the College of Architecture. There are a number of good courses on the economic development side of things; Dr. Tom Clark is highly experienced and an excellent professor.

I felt Community Development was one of the weaker aspects of the program. Few courses are offered, and the one I took was rather poor. However, you have the option of taking courses in the College of Public Affairs, which may offer topics you're looking for.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    As another grad of UCD (very early 90's), I agree with Plannerama assessment.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am not a graduate of the program, but somebody who has worked with their students. I would tend to agree with the comments above. Really, though, I can't think of any program that is particularly strong in community and economic development. You might want to find out who has a good public administration program that you could tap for some classes.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yup....

As yet another grad of the MURP at CU Denver (aka University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center) I would agree that Prof. Clark would make an excellent advisor. One of my favorite classes was Urban Spatial Analysis The real estate development courses offered were outstanding and taught by local developers as adjunct faculty.

I've just looked throught the website and they have changed the concentration requirements from when I attended..... Under todays requirements....I would be a man without a concentration.......(mine was in Environmental) All three of the core courses are new since I was there and I never took any of them
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    I've just looked throught the website and they have changed the concentration requirements from when I attended.....
    I just did and what a change, barely remember/recognize any of those classes.
    but then again in 16 + yrs since I expect the school to evolve for the better.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 15 Dec 2011, 1:43 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Oct 2010, 10:22 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 05 Aug 2005, 11:31 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 Jul 2005, 12:24 AM
  5. Replies: 3