Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mixed reviews on Columbia MUP

Registered
    Jun 2007

Mixed reviews on Columbia MUP

Hey all -

I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the status of Columbia's MUP program. I seem to have been exposed to mixed reviews, spec. in response to the schools willingness to get back to applicants on acceptance/rejection and things of the sort. It appears to be overpriced but does anyone know if they are generous with financial aide. Furthermore, is it pointless for someone who is deciding between community/international development to attend such a school if it is likely that they may move back to the West Coast some time down the road, or are placements in NYC helpful to individuals who may wish to relocate further later on?

Thanks

Registered
    Jul 2007

columbia mup

i also hear mixed things about columbia's mup program, and decided instead to enroll at UW Seattle in the fall of 2008, for a variety of reasons. unlike most folks who seem to be posting, i, perhaps naively, took money out of the equation and focused on enrolling in the program that would best fit my interests.

my impressions of columbia were that the school was pretty traditional in focus, and i did find their means of correspondence to be a bit outdated and spotty. i'm sure, however, that they have a very strong program (is there a better place for international development?) in some respects and ties to other departments (journalism caught my eye) that are very well-esteemed.

my choice came down to the perception of momentum - who has it, as opposed to who relies heavily on reputation. UW had the progressive, interdisciplinary focus that I believe is absolutely vital to the future of sustainable, successful cities and they also had the feel of a program that has yet to peak, yet to fully come to fruition. i came upon an outside peer review of the phd program (granted i've enrolled in the mup) and it spoke primarily of the progress the department has made in the relatively short amount of time sice last review and the willingness of the faculty to go out of their way to accommodate interdepartmental relationships that aren't immediately obvious, but that relate to place-making as both a science and a humanism.

i think that's pretty rad. columbia may also have it: Bloomberg's PlaNYC would seem to suggest a lot of opportunities for really awesome work in the years to come. i just had to go with the one that struck me as the innovator. i hear uw has a kick-ass woodshop in the school of architecture as well and Seattle seems an great setting in which to attend school.

Registered
    Jul 2007

columbia mup

for the record, i was not offered any $ by Columbia, though i didnt really meet their criteria: they are adamant about funding those who need it most based on income and require information about parental income for financial aid consideration. fair enough.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Online reviews
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 18 Oct 2012, 10:22 AM
  2. Concurrent reviews
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 30 Jan 2007, 9:28 AM
  3. Comp Plan Reviews
    Make No Small Plans