Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Valid driver's license

Valid driver's license

I have a question for everyone. I have been job searching and it surprises me to see how many jobs require a valid driver's license. I could see if you were applying for a job that might require travel, but more the most part a planner doesn't do much traveling. How do people feel about the need for a Valid Driver's License to apply for a job?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Fairly standard, in my mind. Covers the employer if they ever need to send you anywhere outside the office for any reason.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2004

No WAY

Totally unreasonable for the Pedestrian/Bicycle Planner in my opinion

Now a Transportation Planner should be taking the bus everywhere in an urban environment and as such wouldn't need a license. So maybe a requirement for a bus pass would be appropriate

Everyone else should have a Drivers License
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Planners frequently make "field trips" out into their areas to look at properties, hold on site meetings etc. Many times the planner is driving a city/county car so it seems very reasonable to expect that person to have a DL. This also is a security feature I think as some will use that to check your driving record, the last thing the boss wants is a guy with 3 DUIs driving the city truck and have an accident.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

on the fence

I agree with it being fairly standard and maybe it covers an employer for various reasons, but I have a hard time justifying this when planners are being educated on the "evils" of an auto dependant society. To me, this excludes people because they may not be "priviledged enough" to have a driver's license. Some people simply don't care to drive. I can see if you want to do a background check, but you can get one without a license. So I don't know, just doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well....

The only reason NOT to have a drivers licence is to be "counter" culture I think (unless you have a severe disability or are in the hospital). How priviledged do you have to be, just to have a license? Not very....they cost about $25 and you pass a test. What does it hurt to have a drivers license but rarely or never use it? It doesn't hurt anyone or anything, it just means you have to use a passport to fly anywhere within the US. (I wonder if they take State ID cards at the airports?)

Does anyone have a reliable count of adults eligible to drive that choose not to have a drivers license? Does the Census ask that question?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Does anyone have a reliable count of adults eligible to drive that choose not to have a drivers license? Does the Census ask that question?
    No they don't.
    Last edited by JNA; 22 Aug 2007 at 5:55 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

(I wonder if they take State ID cards at the airports?)
    Current government-issued photo identification. My dad used his 30 year old Pennsylvania liquor ID once, and it worked, because it was government issued and had no expiration date. (Still, I wouldn't push my luck using my county government employee ID, etc.)

As to a DL, even my GIS Tech job required one. Why? We go to training, meetings, etc.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's also good to require a DL in the event you have a marginal employee, doing just enough to get by, who picks up a DUI along the way, giving you cause to show them the door because they don't meet MQs for employment.... Trust me.
    I don't do anything right.

Registered
    May 2005
    (I wonder if they take State ID cards at the airports?)
    They do. There are lots of people who don't have drivers licenses because of various reasons: They are legally blind, they have epilepsy, their license has been revoked (Alzheimer's, drunk driving), etc. Still, they need official ID to fly and, in some cases, to purchase an interstate train ticket (I don't know if this is still in effect, but a friend taking Amtrak from New Mexico to Chicago had to show ID to purchase the ticket). And alcohol! let's not forget about that need...

Sure, you can get a passport, but a state ID is usually cheaper and easier to get. That's partly why they offer them in the first place (and you still have to show proof of identity to get it - usually birth certificate and social security card)

Some states have wrestled with a growing number of undocumented residents that own cars and drive, but do not have licenses because they fear deportation. Regardless of how you feel about this topic, it nonetheless creates a number of people on the road who are without ID and therefore also without insurance. Some of the states impacted by this have considered measures to allow undocumented workers to get state drivers licenses so they can ensure they are insured.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 1998
    "Some of the states impacted by this have considered measures to allow undocumented workers to get state drivers licenses so they can ensure they are insured."

...and then there is Kansas, making it harder/impossible for the "undocumented" to get licenses; thus increasing the number of uninsured drivers.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I remember once in college when I posted my DL as bond for a traffic ticket, and had to use my passport to get into the bar for a week or so until I was able to get a state id. Got some real funny looks from bouncers...

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I have to drive a lot for my job, to look at subject properties and attended various meetings throughout the area. Even if these meetings were close enough for me to walk to, I usually have to bring along easels, a laptop and projector and stuff like that.

Unless your planning job will only having you dealing with people within a close proximity, or you live somewhere with great public transportation, you will have to drive for your job.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Its not politically correct but if you work in a rural or suburban area and need to get to different locations the town shouldn't have to get some other guy to drive you around.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    It is funny how a DL is the "holy grail" in the US. My g/f is 21 and doesn't have a DL, I joke with her that if she was European she would get as many strange looks. A friend of mine that lives in Belgum didn't get his DL until after he graduated college, I think he was 23 or 24, and that's commonplace in most European countries.

yeah

rcgplanner sort of hit it on the head for me. Maybe the underlying issue is that we are built in such a way that it is required that we have a license in order to do things that realistically, don't require a license. Is that confusing enough?! I guess I understand why jobs require a DL in the US. I just feel like that is another norm that stands in the way of people thinking differently about things like public transit.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Bingo, look at how many communities have little if any sidewalks linking neighborhoods to 'neighborhood parks'. It seems wrong to me that you have to drive to a neighborhood park.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

old faaaarts

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    It's also good to require a DL in the event you have a marginal employee, doing just enough to get by, who picks up a DUI along the way, giving you cause to show them the door because they don't meet MQs for employment.... Trust me.
    as I was scrolling through the answers to the question, all being planning and job related, and I was wondering if anyone else had the same cynical answer I did, LOL,

sorry to disappoint, but this is the real, harsh reason why we have it in there, what RJ said

but yes on all the other answers - you do have to be able to get to site visits and conferences and such too

I will l say I am good about walking to village meetings and sites within a mile of my office

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by MSUplanner View post
    I have a question for everyone. I have been job searching and it surprises me to see how many jobs require a valid driver's license. I could see if you were applying for a job that might require travel, but more the most part a planner doesn't do much traveling. How do people feel about the need for a Valid Driver's License to apply for a job?
    My current employer required an AZ DL by my first day to conform to the insurance policy covering city owned cars. Since I am an economic developer I do need to drive to due my job.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I do not have a DL. I crashed (no alcohol involved, it was just after work) about 1.5 years ago and was out (unconscious) like three weeks. I still don't remember that day. The Kids Mom has been taking me to interviews for the past half year. To no avail. I have been asking myself the same question. Though I understand and even support RJ's answer.

I haven't said anything yet and wasn't asked. I understand the mandate, but don't like it. If it becomes an issue, I will have to get the Dr. to sign off. Of course my wife will fight that as much as possible.

I am not going to pursue it, but it may be an ADA thing. reasonable accomodation?

DLK
    "There are people in every time and every land who want to stop history in its tracks. They fear the future, mistrust the present and invoke the security of a comfortable past which, in fact, never existed." RFK

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DrumLineKid View post
    ....I am not going to pursue it, but it may be an ADA thing. reasonable accomodation?

DLK
    I don't believe not having a DL is a protected class. But I could be wrong.
    I don't do anything right.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Not in Michigan. Here the state sees having a drivers license as a privilege and not a right... therefore there is no protection for people who don’t have a DL.

For our job we have city cars that we drive for inspections and such so we are required to have a MI DL.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    May 2005
    I don't understand why it's such a big deal. Just because you have a DL doesn't automatically mean that you subscribe to the auto-dependent lifestyle and that you own a vehicle.

Entry-level planners frequently must go on site visits. Planners in management positions frequently go to off site meetings. As long as there are employer owned vehicles, what's the big deal.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    If you cannot get a driver's license because of a disability, it does indeed become an ADA issue and reasonable accomodations must be made (i.e. authorizing the use the bus or paratransit, assigning another employee to drive, etc.).

How else would you get to workshops, meetings, trainings, etc etc? I travel at least once per week................believe me you need it..........

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 21 Feb 2013, 1:05 PM
  2. Valid state drivers license?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Oct 2008, 3:34 PM
  3. The Definitive Driver's Ed. Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23