Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gonzalez Resigns!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!

Gonzalez Resigns!

Attorny General Alberto Gonzales Resigns!

Just off the wire.

IT"S A GOOD DAY! ONE MORE STEP TOWARD REMOVING A DARK CLOUD OVER US!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Rats fleeing the ship.

(yes, that is a completely biased opinion)
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Rats fleeing the ship.
    I'm using that phrase from now on. Thanks.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Happy Dance!!!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    WOW!!! I was a little surprised by this one... I honestly figured he would try to stick it out longer.

The whole thing with him trying to manipulate Ashcroft when he was ill really turned my stomach. I didn't like Gonzales much to start with--I'm from Texas and have seen the kind of crap he did on the Texas Supreme Court and as Sec. of State for Texas.

I hope the door doesn't hit him on the way out.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Now we can all get back to agreeing with each other.

You guys hate him because ...??

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    It's a mutiny!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Well, for one, pretending (i.e. lying) that he had no knowledge (or responsibility) of anything that happened under his leadership.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The dark cloud will be removed as soon as the American public gets off the two-party corporate shill republicrat voting trend...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    The dark cloud will be removed as soon as the American public gets off the two-party corporate shill republicrat voting trend...
    I didn't say it was gone, just that the shade of grey was closer to battleship rather than coal scuttle!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post

I never hated him. He just became too big of a distraction, despite the lame duck status of the administration.

What people fail to realize, is that executive branch removal of judges is nothing new. My the right wing is making an issue of it now is silly.

The cheese stands alone now. Maybe Cheney will croak by the end of the year to ease the pain of having to deal with another 18 months of Bush.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Other than gloating, what real purpose does this thread serve?
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    Other than gloating, what real purpose does this thread serve?
    There's little to be joyous about over the next year and a half with Bush in office. Who knows what kind of damage he will do between now and then. Seeing Gonzales go down provides at least some joy to an otherwise bleak future for this country. I for one will eagerly await hearing all the new revelations and details about what an incompetant piece of crap Gonzales was and all the illegal/political activities and policy making he partook in to further Bush's aggresive agenda of secrecy.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Oddly, it's not because of the attorney firings. Too much has been made of this. I don't think it was a fair or most ethical way to treat the US attorneys, but I'm not inclined to label it some kind of constitutional crisis.

Like I said, I took issue with him early on because of stuff he was involved with in Texas. However, it was the manipulation of Ashcroft over warrantless wiretaps that really set me off (not because of the wiretaps, but because of how he used unethical means to try and get what he wanted). Other reasons:
    • Executive Order 13233 that attempted to limit FOIA requests after 9/11
    • He was an early advocate of the Patriot Act
    • Tried to prevent Energy Task Force documents from being reviewed
    • Seemed completely unaware of anything going on in the Justice Department
    • argued hebeas corpus was not granted in Constitution (why would they prohibit taking it away if it was implicly in the Constitution)
    • failing to investigate the Texas Youth Commission allegations of misconduct (of which there were TONS of complaints, but no effort made to investigate)

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    A bit over the top, don't you think?

Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat View post
    The cheese stands alone now. Maybe Cheney will croak by the end of the year to ease the pain of having to deal with another 18 months of Bush.
    The knocking on your door? That's the FBI. Just try and relax...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think that Suburb Repairman has given acceptable reasons not to like him… and that the firing of attorneys is not one of them, that there was nothing illegal about it. What should have happened is all the liberal judges should have been fired when Bush took office… that is how Clinton did it and no one yelled.

I don’t think that Gonzalez has done that great if a job and there are several situations that I felt hurt his career. While I don’t think that he was the demonic anti freedom that everyone paints him to be, I think that he was not the best person for the job.
    "I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which, was that you can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." - Jim Carrey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I think that Suburb Repairman has given acceptable reasons not to like him… and that the firing of attorneys is not one of them, that there was nothing illegal about it. What should have happened is all the liberal judges should have been fired when Bush took office… that is how Clinton did it and no one yelled.

I don’t think that Gonzalez has done that great if a job and there are several situations that I felt hurt his career. While I don’t think that he was the demonic anti freedom that everyone paints him to be, I think that he was not the best person for the job.
    His big mistake was not simply saying: "US Attorneys serve at the pleasure of the President and the President was not pleased with them, if you want to know why, ask him".

Also, I do recall that Clinton fired ALL of the US attorneys when he took office in 1993 and was not challenged on it.

Anyways, it looks right now like Gonzalez' (the FIRST Latino in that post, remember?) replacement will be a Wisconsinite!

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2001
    This was simply a political witchunt. Nothing more.

Now, how about that 18% congressional approval rating?

Registered
    Apr 2002
    This is great news, but begs the question, how did he hang on for so long?

I hear Karl Rove is looking for a new job....

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    This was simply a political witchunt. Nothing more.
    Normally, Jeff and I are on the opposite ends of the discussion when it comes to politics....but I have to agree with him here. The attorney firings are not what I would consider deal breakers for the AG. There are plenty of other things (which SR mentioned) that are far worse IMO than the firings of the attorneys.

Am I glad he's resigning? Sure. But the gloating and piling on are pointless I think.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    the gloating and piling on are pointless I think.
    But it's the Cyburbia way!!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    But it's the Cyburbia way!!
    And the FAC.....
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Being a person with no political affiliation, I could care less about the Attorney General leaving. Most of the hype on him was generated for political gain by the Democratic Party establishment and the President used him as a pawn in his desire to gain more power in the hands of the executive branch. Politics is not a pretty business.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It is rats leaving the ship all choreographed in advance by Rove!

It seems it is real easy for W's staff to just to step down and walk away, who is left to juggle his act, who are his loyalists in the halls? He's got the lonliest job right now. does GWB.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 108
    Last post: 15 Mar 2013, 9:11 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Jun 2008, 5:46 PM
  3. What if Grey Resigns?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 09 Sep 2003, 8:35 PM