Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Unemployed for one year since graduation: need advice

Registered
    Jul 2010

Unemployed for one year since graduation: need advice

I've been having trouble finding a job since graduating from Ryerson University in Toronto last October. Despite the recession, most of the vacancies I found are the ones that require either 4-5 years of experience or a membership from planning associations. I tried sending out my resume to municipal planning departments and all the planning firms I could find, but most of them didn't reply. Right now I am attending as much public meeting as I can, mainly for seeking a chance to have conversations with planners and attempt to establish a network. I am begging for advice on how to step my foot into the door. Please....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Take a look around at some of the other similar posts... it is tough right now. The planning world is hurting. With local governments downsizing as well as State and Federal governments the outlook is grim. Since governments hire consultants, the private sector is hurting as well.

I said all that to say, keep at it. Be realistic in your expectations. Take any job / internship / coop that you can find for experience. You seem to be networking, which is a great way to get your foot in the door for future leads. Make sure that your resume, portfolio or whatever else you market yourself with is perfected.

I don't think in this economy that there is a solution that is a simple as saying do this or that. Just keep at it, and hopefully you will catch a break. If you love planning, don't give up on it. In a few years the profession will be turning over. Just keep on trucking. Good luck.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Take a look around at some of the other similar posts... it is tough right now. The planning world is hurting. With local governments downsizing as well as State and Federal governments the outlook is grim. Since governments hire consultants, the private sector is hurting as well.

I said all that to say, keep at it. Be realistic in your expectations. Take any job / internship / coop that you can find for experience. You seem to be networking, which is a great way to get your foot in the door for future leads. Make sure that your resume, portfolio or whatever else you market yourself with is perfected.

I don't think in this economy that there is a solution that is a simple as saying do this or that. Just keep at it, and hopefully you will catch a break. If you love planning, don't give up on it. In a few years the profession will be turning over. Just keep on trucking. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, I hope I will have some good news on my next thread

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Need Advice on Post-Graduation Plans
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Mar 2011, 11:35 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 08 Jan 2010, 6:44 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Mar 2009, 7:02 PM
  4. Degreed and unemployed: need help
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 01 Apr 2008, 12:35 PM
  5. One year before grad school - advice please!
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Apr 2007, 6:31 PM