Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Care to share your AICP application?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    I did not think the above was posted. I intended to finish it with:

If you have a specific issue with a specific criterion, many of us would be glad to chime in.
    So you saying i can't copy and paste your criteria? Damn...

In all seriousness, what issues do you have specifically? It's not rocket science. Just fill out the damn thing.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    So, yes I just joined and am a single poster. That does not mean I am unethical or want to copy your applicaiton. Thought I'd just check this out.

I was hoping to get some advice and suggestions on the application criteria. I have already written mine, however am wondering how specific to be. Did you reference specific jobs ? If so, how many per section...do you think 2 is enough?

What format did you use? Did you being with a summary paragraph then move onto speicifc examples? I have formatted mine in this way, do you think that is appropriate. For some reason I am struggling with finalizing what I've got.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Also, for the new crietia under section 1. ...
    I Understand that I don't need to respond to each sub-category, so I picked the top 3-4 that I have the best amount of experiance with and went from there. Should I try to cover additional topics with weaker experience or stick with the top 4?
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 02 Jul 2009 at 4:26 PM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by SBFishing View post
    Did you reference specific jobs ? If so, how many per section...do you think 2 is enough?
    Coming from the private sector, yes i did reference specific "projects" but if you are talking jobs as in employment, i only have had one employer so that wasn't an issue. Typically for each question i trotted out a specific project so that way i didn't have to reuse the same one.

What format did you use? Did you being with a summary paragraph then move onto specific examples? I have formatted mine in this way, do you think that is appropriate. For some reason I am struggling with finalizing what I've got.
    Took the question and answered it quickly. Than describe the project and how it gave me the experience to qualify for the test.

     
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    In regard to formatting, I laid out my application in Word with tables and numbered lists, etc and when I went to post it all of the formatting was lost! I was not real happy as without the formatting, the application read like crap. I ended up emailing a copy of the Word document to the AICPexam@planning.org. I received a nice response stating a copy of the formatted document would be attached to my application.

Still waiting on my Official Score after taking the exam on May 11. Prometric said I passed, just waiting to pay my money......

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Thank you for your comments, I am in the private sector and have been at this job for 8 years. I take it that you did not use the same project referance for more than one answer. As I have a few key large project to site...I don't want to overlap, correct?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    I did not think the above was posted. I intended to finish it with:

If you have a specific issue with a specific criterion, many of us would be glad to chime in.
    I don't expect to ask for any sample since I am new here, and I already have my draft done. i would appreciate an advice here.

for Criterion 2. EMPLOY AN APPROPRIATELY COMPREHENSIVE POINT OF VIEW, which require in response to Criterion 1. Apply a Planning Process Appropriate to the Situation. Since Critierion 1 has section A,B and C now, I mentioned a variety of tasks in total under Critierion 1. but i only picked one task to expand to answer Criterion 2, do you think it's sufficient/appropriate enough?

I worked for the public sector, there are no one in my department has AICP except for the department head, so it's so difficult for me to ask for advises. is it possible some one here can help take a look at my application to make sure that I have responded to what they asked? I know it's july 4 weekend, and the deadline july 9 is coming, i really appreciate if someone can offer help

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I was hoping to get some advice and suggestions on the application criteria. I have already written mine, however am wondering how specific to be. Did you reference specific jobs ? If so, how many per section...do you think 2 is enough?

What format did you use? Did you being with a summary paragraph then move onto speicifc examples? I have formatted mine in this way, do you think that is appropriate. For some reason I am struggling with finalizing what I've got.
    I did reference specific projects in my application; especially for jobs where I worked for a firm that may not be widely viewed as planning oriented. I followed the same general format you are describing which basically said, "1. I meet this criterion. 2. Example of project to show how I have fulfilled requirement. 3. Another example..."

I generally was trying to use 2-3 projects as examples for each question. This generally gave me enough room to provide a good summary of the project and still keep the response somewhat concise (I generally doubled the requirement for number of words; not intentionally, that's just generally how it worked out).

I'll also echo what many have already said, do the application in Word first, then import it into the online application. Make sure you keep the formatting simple to avoid any issues with the pasting.

I think providing examples of projects (particularly if you are in the private sector) is a must. People everywhere argue about what is planning vs. a related field. Examples clearly show that your work meets the requirements.

Quote Originally posted by linlin View post
    for Criterion 2. EMPLOY AN APPROPRIATELY COMPREHENSIVE POINT OF VIEW, which require in response to Criterion 1. Apply a Planning Process Appropriate to the Situation. Since Critierion 1 has section A,B and C now, I mentioned a variety of tasks in total under Critierion 1. but i only picked one task to expand to answer Criterion 2, do you think it's sufficient/appropriate enough?
    I think that using one example would probably be sufficient, but I always tried to use more than one. With that said, if you only have one example, go with that. I don't see any major issue as long as you can provide a solid example of how you meet the requirement.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 06 Jul 2009 at 8:41 AM. Reason: double reply
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

Registered
    Jul 2009

New to this

Hey all,

I'm in the final stages of my application prep for November and I'm a bit worried about some of my application essays. Does anyone feel like sharing theirs? No one in my office has an example that I can review, so I guess this is my best bet to know if I am about to waste $485. Thanks in advance.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by STLplanner View post
    .... Does anyone feel like sharing theirs? .....
    I highly suggest you read through this entire thread.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Jun 2009
    thank you for the advice i just submitted my application!

now i have a question about the employment verification letter. I saw someone post an example of the letter, which list some specific work examples, but when i read the requirement on the APA website, it sounds to me just a general description of the work.

can someone help me clarify what exactly APA is looking for in the letter? general functions or some specific tasks? thank you very much!!

Registered
    Feb 2007

now i have a question about the employment verification letter. I saw someone post an example of the letter, which list some specific work examples, but when i read the requirement on the APA website, it sounds to me just a general description of the work.

can someone help me clarify what exactly APA is looking for in the letter? general functions or some specific tasks? thank you very much!!
    APA is looking for general functions that back up what you said. Typically you employment verification should be in line with the projects or specific tasks you used to answer the questions.

name here is employed from x to x and worked on a variety of projects that included x to x. These projects were blah blah blah.

Registered
    Jan 2006

I wrote each of my employment verifications (I switched jobs not long before I applied, and, for once, had the foresight to get the letter in advance) and had my supervisor sign them. That way I made sure that the letter supported my application. Plus, then you only have yourself to blame if they reject it! I also keep a least one original of each of these verifications for future use.
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Can I see a sample as well?
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Registered
    Jun 2009
    thank you all!!

Registered
    Jul 2009
    If someone is willing to share a successful application please, e-mail it to me. I guess no one has any intension to use you or your application. It is all about exchanging information. Finally, we all have different working experiences which we have to proof so no one's success or experience could be misused. Once when I will finish with my application, and it will be accepted I will be more than happy to help any one and finally to share my success. I personally do not see any problems with that. In particular I am not sure for example how much should I go into details with the projects I reviewed, since I am sure I reviewed hundred or much more projects in my career. I certenly cannot even remember all the names and locations. Thanks

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by manja View post
    I am not sure for example how much should I go into details with the projects I reviewed, since I am sure I reviewed hundred or much more projects in my career. I certenly cannot even remember all the names and locations. Thanks
    Applications reviews are definitely not AICP stuff. It certainly doesn't meet the criteria established by the folks at APA. Review the criteria and just take a hack at it.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    It's strange that plan reviews, and issuing of building permits based on zoning, design and historic preservation criteria and regulations is not a part of AICP. Plan reviews are the big part of planning profession.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I included plan reviews in my application, and it was approved. I just worded it very carefully.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jul 2009
    nrschmid, thanks. Would you please, suggest wording for plan reviews sinece it was already accepted. I do not have any ideas how I would change it because plan reviews are very specific and there is not so many words I can use to "go around". Thanks

Registered
    May 2007
    If someone is willing to share a successful application please, e-mail it to me.
    Here we go again If you put as much effort into your application, as you did justifying the sharing of successful applications, you have nothing to worry about. Go fill out your app, and come back to ask for some critiquing advice.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    I included plan reviews in my application, and it was approved. I just worded it very carefully.
    Just for clarification nick, but what part of plan reviews "employ a appropriately comprehensive point of view". Really the only part plan review should be discussed is in section 1.A, albeit briefly, and potentially 4, but certainly not the entire application.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Azmodela, do not get so upset. I asked politely if someone is willing to share. You are obviously not...so there is no need to discuss it further. I do not see anything wrong in sharing info with other professionals within the same field, but we all look in different directions, I guess

Registered
    May 2007
    Don't worry Manja, I'm not upset. You can refer to my previous posts in this thread. It basically has to do with people that have low post counts, and are looking to copy successful applications. Of course we have separate paths, but the application and testing process are made to weed out the less desirables. Perhaps one that can't master the basic application process is one that should not attempt it!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    nrschmid, thanks. Would you please, suggest wording for plan reviews sinece it was already accepted. I do not have any ideas how I would change it because plan reviews are very specific and there is not so many words I can use to "go around". Thanks

Nope...............
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Dec 2008
    deleted. Why isn't there a "delete" option!?!?

Closed thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. AICP application - guidance
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 28 Aug 2013, 3:52 PM
  2. AICP Application
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 10 Jun 2013, 7:24 PM
  3. Need some help with the AICP application