Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11

Thread: 2007 College Football Thread

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by wv06 View post
    If WVU wins on saturday and we make it to the BCS Championship game then the BCS is perfect! However if we loose and do not make it, my feelings will change and I will then view the BCS as a joke with a strong need for a playoff system!
    Nice. Best of luck, my friend. Perhaps my Sooners can keep Mizzou off your heels.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by wv06 View post
    If WVU wins on saturday and we make it to the BCS Championship game then the BCS is perfect! However if we loose and do not make it, my feelings will change and I will then view the BCS as a joke with a strong need for a playoff system!
    Amen....I'm loving the BCS system right now!
    Let's Go Mountaineers!
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Shifting away from a bowl system into a tournament-style championship playoff would not be beneficial to college football because it would take away a great deal of the fan base and travel. Bowl games are special, and despite what most sports-talking heads may think, the bowl system is a whole lot more than the night or day of the game itself. It involves, in most cases, almost an entire week of events and culture that lead up to it in the host sites. Bowl games have always been a chance to showcase an area, and there are reasons why certain bowl games have much more pull and prestige - most were showcasing exotic locales for end of the season matchups that the hosting sites themselves thought the public or the fan bases of their respective invitees might want to see. And with the way the system is set up now, it keeps every game of utmost importance for each team, so every game is played like a national championship.

Also, if a playoff system was initiated, what would we all argue/talk about all the time, then?
    A playoff does not preclude the bowls. An 8 team playoff to determine who plays in the national championship game and all other teams play in their conference desginated bowl games. At most that is 3 extra games. Higher seed gets home field. Of course if that happened then Oklahoma would never have embarassed themselves in the 2004 national championship game.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Let the OU-hate fest commence...

I have never and never will be embarrassed by my alma mater. In fact, far from it.

Hi rickety whoop te do
    Boomer Sooner, Okla U!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    [QUOTE=TexanOkie;414314]Let the OU-hate fest commence...

[QUOTE]

Since does the truth equal hate? 55-19 is an embarassing loss...unless you are Notre Dame its just another bowl loss.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Potential matchup for the Capital One Bowl places Florida versus Illinois...Gators New coach vs. Gators old coach. It's also the last 2 teams to beat Ohio State (and the last two quality teams to play Ohio State). That could be very interesting game!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Potential matchup for the Capital One Bowl places Florida versus Illinois...Gators New coach vs. Gators old coach. It's also the last 2 teams to beat Ohio State (and the last two quality teams to play Ohio State). That could be very interesting game!
    Two reasons why I'm hoping the Dawgs end up in the Rose Bowl - 1. I'd love to see how they match up with USC (assuming the Trojans don't lose to UCLA), and 2. The sheer unintentional comedy that could come from the Gators taking on the Fighting Zooks.

Oh, and speaking of your Gators - any chance of Meyer bringing in an actual running back? If you keep pounding the ball up the middle with Tebow next year he won't survive to the end of the season...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Since does the truth equal hate? 55-19 is an embarassing loss...unless you are Notre Dame its just another bowl loss.
    The reality of the loss is not what I was referencing in regards to the OU hate. It was the bias and intent behind mentioning it. Same thing can be said about the Notre Dame reference above.

And like I said, I am not embarrassed in the least for our institution, our athletic program, or that game. Everybody loses. I think we handled that loss rather well.

We'll march down the field with our heads held high
    Determined to win every battle we're in
    We'll fight with all our might for the red and white
    March on, march on down the field for our victory is nigh
    You know we came to win this game for Oklahoma
    And we will or we'll know the reason why

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Two reasons why I'm hoping the Dawgs end up in the Rose Bowl - 1. I'd love to see how they match up with USC (assuming the Trojans don't lose to UCLA), and 2. The sheer unintentional comedy that could come from the Gators taking on the Fighting Zooks.

Oh, and speaking of your Gators - any chance of Meyer bringing in an actual running back? If you keep pounding the ball up the middle with Tebow next year he won't survive to the end of the season...
    Yes, yes we need a badly running back other than Tebow. Let's hope the Urban legend will fill that gap. How many times did we see them line up three or four wide to spread the defense and then Tebow run up the middle. He's a hell of a player but not injured on the bench. Thank goodness he broke his hand in the last game of the season.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The Solution

Bear's Dream World presents a playoff scenario for 2008, updated on Sunday, 12-2-07.....

SUGAR BOWL
    Ohio State (1) VS Kansas (8)

COTTON BOWL
    LSU (2) VS Missouri (7)

ORANGE BOWL
    Oklahoma (3) VS South California (6)

ROSE BOWL
    Georgia (4) VS Virginia Tech (5)

Site selections chosen to reduce "home field feeling".
    _____

Round 2 would pair highest remaining seed VS lowest remaining seed.....and second-highest remaining seed VS second-lowest remaining seed.

Same site selection thought process, with the next two bowls to be.....

FIESTA BOWL

NEW BOWL FOR THIS PLAYOFF FORMAT
    _____

CHAMPIONSHIP BOWL follows.
    _____

Fiesta Bowl and New Bowl played first Saturday after New Year's Day (with at least a six-day span between).

Championship played a week later.
    _____

The three playoff bowls to be played on Saturday evening, after NFL games.
    _____

Use something like the present BCS scoring to determine the best 8 teams. Scenario gives the folks who present the big New Year's Day bowls all of the pomp and circumstance they require.
    _____

My predicition for this championship.....Oklahoma.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Dawgs blast Hawai'i in the Sugar Bowl, Southern Cal runs Illinois out of the building in the Rose Bowl, Missouri handles Arkansas with ease in the Cotton. Maybe Missouri should've been in the BCS? And I still think that a USC-UGA match-up in the Rose would've been the best bowl game of the season...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Dawgs blast Hawai'i in the Sugar Bowl, Southern Cal runs Illinois out of the building in the Rose Bowl, Missouri handles Arkansas with ease in the Cotton. Maybe Missouri should've been in the BCS? And I still think that a USC-UGA match-up in the Rose would've been the best bowl game of the season...
    What a bunch of mismatches.
    I agree that USC-UGA would have been a great game.
    Too bad College Football is too FUBAR to recognize the need for a playoff system...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    What a bunch of mismatches.
    I agree that USC-UGA would have been a great game.
    Too bad College Football is too FUBAR to recognize the need for a playoff system...
    Agreed. Take the conference champions and add enough wild cards to make a nice 'seeded' binary grid, then play it off. Those not making the 'grid' can play the lesser bowls.

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Am I not the only one here whom is thinking that Hawaii should be playing for the national championship this year?

Mike
    Still feel this way?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Attention, BCS - please keep Ohio State out of your championship game until further notice - we would prefer to play a team that could at least make a game out of it.

Thanks,

The SEC

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Attention, BCS - please keep Ohio State out of your championship game until further notice - we would prefer to play a team that could at least make a game out of it.

Thanks,

The SEC

Come on now Bubba, Ohio (or is it Overmatched, or Over-rated) State will be ranked in the top 5 next year when the preseason rankings come out and LSU might be in the top 15. Isn't this what happen last year? Florida waxes OSU in the title game and then when the preseason rankings come out, ...well you see my point. The Dawgs had a great showing this year, but do you see them as a top 5 in the preseason polls? We shall see.

Even after last night's game, Lee Corso was still saying USC was the best team in the country.

It was pretty cool when the fans were shouting S - E - C and not L-S-U.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Come on now Bubba, Ohio (or is it Overmatched, or Over-rated) State will be ranked in the top 5 next year when the preseason rankings come out and LSU might be in the top 15. Isn't this what happen last year? Florida waxes OSU in the title game and then when the preseason rankings come out, ...well you see my point. The Dawgs had a great showing this year, but do you see them as a top 5 in the preseason polls? We shall see.
    I'm not as delusional as some of my fellow members of the Bulldog Nation (those who are predicting 14-0 next season), but I would not be surprised to see the preseason Top 5 include (in no particular order) Ohio State, LSU, USC, Oklahoma and UGA.

Registered
    Apr 2006

Even after last night's game, Lee Corso was still saying USC was the best team in the country.

It was pretty cool when the fans were shouting S - E - C and not L-S-U.
    The way the Dawgs finished the season with so few graduating they should be top 3. With as strong as their defense is they have a strong argument to be a preseason #1.I will see the Dawgs first hand when they travel to Sun Devil Stadium in September.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I don't have too much to say about the last season of college football...

Let's hope that the players of Notre Dame have learned a lot from this season and can apply it to the next season!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    I don't have too much to say about the last season of college football...

Let's hope that the players of Notre Dame have learned a lot from this season and can apply it to the next season!
    Does learning how to beat Navy fall into this category?
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 09 Jan 2008 at 1:11 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Does learning how to beat Navy fall into this category?
    Ha ha ha, funny dude...

That was one time... ONE TIME... since the Kennedy Administration...

God, all you haters need to CAN IT!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 1998

Buckeye Cookies

How do you make Buckeye cookies????
    Put them in a BOWL, let them rise for 10 minutes, then whip them for 3 hours........

"A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    ND still has a couple years for the Willingham recruits to work through the system. I give Weiss a pass till then, but there was times this year he scared me. Once they started to lose, the fire was out of the team and he couldn't seem to get it back. Once you've mentally lost the game, you can't get it back. The coach needs to keep the players head in the game till the end. Perhaps they would benifit from watching "Rudy" again

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 11

More at Cyburbia

1. 2013 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 300
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 3:00 PM
  2. 2012 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 245
    Last post: 11 Jan 2013, 12:27 PM
  3. 2011 College Football Thread