Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you smarter than Miss South Carolina ?

Registered
    Jun 2003

Are you smarter than Miss South Carolina ?

Just too funny for the Youtube thread.
    Also considering the media coverage/fallout and Cyburbian knowledge of Geography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII

Are you a U.S. American that has a map ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I heard this yesterday driving to work, so sad. As the radio hosts said, each schoolboard or council should have to watch this just before budget time. South Carolina schools are currently ranked 48th.
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Oh. My. God.

What on earth was she trying to say? I like how she ended with "and build up the future for our children." Classic. Make no sense but always bring it back to our children and their future.

I think my cat is smarter than Miss South Carolina.
    Last edited by Tresmo; 28 Aug 2007 at 8:26 AM. Reason: Forgot my last point.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    What really bothers this is the response this video is getting around the Internet - "This only proves that all Americans are idiots, and know nothing about geography, much less anything else." It's a wonderful example of selection bias at work.

If this video really does prove that all Americans are stupid, I guess it's safe to say the French are worse.

Thank god some of the stoopid stuff I've said in my life wasn't caught on camera.

I caught a little bit of an interview with her this morning on the Today show and I feel bad for her -- she's 18 and she is clearly an intelligent girl. But she has a brain freeze. On camera.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I want to send to a “thank you” card to Miss South Carolina. It is because of her that I think that many schools will start looking at geography as a serious subject. I just hope that they don’t just show place names but truly examine how place, history, and sociology are all interconnected.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I caught a little bit of an interview with her this morning on the Today show and I feel bad for her -- she's 18 and she is clearly an intelligent girl. But she has a brain freeze. On camera.
    I saw the same interview. I was horrified when I first saw the video a couple days ago - well, if horrified means sending the link to all my friends to laugh at, especially the ones from South Carolina. Obviously it was brain freeze, but I'm not convinced she's a genius. I'm happy to know that she and her friends could find the US on a map, but do you think she could locate Iraq?

(was she saying "the Iraq"?)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I've had on 3 different radio stations this AM, and they have all played this.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The problem was that she had set answers for certain types of questions and when one came up that she thought was about one thing she chose th wrong answer.

You can tell by her referencing children and trying to tie in other current events, without really hearing what was being asked.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    The problem was that she had set answers for certain types of questions and when one came up that she thought was about one thing she chose th wrong answer.

You can tell by her referencing children and trying to tie in other current events, without really hearing what was being asked.
    I was thinking the same thing. She reached in her hat of canned answers and pulled out the wrong one. Then she stumbled, stitched in bits of another canned answer linked with "such as" etc. And yes, she referred to Iraq as "the Iraq."

What's worse? The shingles or "the Iraq."
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I want to send to a “thank you” card to Miss South Carolina. It is because of her that I think that many schools will start looking at geography as a serious subject. I just hope that they don’t just show place names but truly examine how place, history, and sociology are all interconnected.
    C'mon... Do you really think that schools will start looking at geography as a serious subject? Around here 90% of the high school geography classes are taught by some moron assistant football coach. Social studies are simply not valued in American education.

Quote Originally posted by donk View post

I think you are exactly right. When I heard it, I thought she was attempting to combine about three "canned answers". Of course, that's how most of these pageant princesses are: people respond to their answers with "oh, that was so thoughtful and intelligent" as if it was really her own thought. I wish they would throw them a curve ball in the inteview stage just to watch them stumble. Some suggested questions:
    • Van Halen or Van Haggar? Defend your position.
    • Sting solo or The Police? Defend your position.
    • Spell Afghanistan.
    • Spell Mississippi.
    • As I was going to St. Ives, I met a man with seven wives. Every wife had seven sacks, every sack had seven cats, every cat had seven kitts. Kitts, cats, sacks, wives, how many were going to St. Ives?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michiganplanner View post
    I was thinking the same thing. She reached in her hat of canned answers and pulled out the wrong one. Then she stumbled, stitched in bits of another canned answer linked with "such as" etc. And yes, she referred to Iraq as "the Iraq."

What's worse? The shingles or "the Iraq."
    I agree with that assessment.

On another note, "The Herpes" is pretty scary, too.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Already the parodies:

“As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michiganplanner View post
    And yes, she referred to Iraq as "the Iraq."
    I could see a position for her in the Bush administration. Advisor on the internets, such as.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    My son has a globe and an atlas in his room for this very reason. When something happens in the world, I want him to at least know where it is at. Wasn't there some type of statistic that a large percentage of Americans did not where Iraq was, but some of us support the war.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I kind of feel sorry for her not being able to think on her own to answer a question that she didn't have a canned answer for. I don't think that it's really a commentary on the state of education in SC, but rather on the pageant circuit itself.

South Carolina is generally in the bottom five as far as most things are concerned but our educational experience there was very good both from the elementary/middle school level and the university level. Had we stayed my daughter would have gone to a better high school than the one she will attend in the fall here in NJ.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I think I speak for most Southerners when I simply say -

"Bless her heart."

I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    OK, but back to the question at hand....maybe I am naive, but is there really a large population of the US that cannot locate the country on a map??

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    OK, but back to the question at hand....maybe I am naive, but is there really a large population of the US that cannot locate the country on a map??
    I thought that statistic seemed a little dubious... I would like for them to reference the source. I know we Americans suck at geography, but I don't think it is so bad that 20% of us couldn't find the U.S. on a map. I could believe 20% don't know how to read a map, but I bet they could still find the U.S.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    From The National Geographic–Roper 2002 Global Geographic Literacy Survey -
    About 11 percent of young citizens (18- to 24-year-olds) of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...perSurvey.html

Read the rest of the survey results it is very interesting.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    There's a newer version of the Geographic Literacy Survey results (2006) here:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ro.../findings.html

Some alarming findings:

Only 37% of young Americans could find Iraq ("The Iraq") on a map.

Half couldn't find New York on a map.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    So how would some of you answered the question? I mean, in a pageant like that you can't just say "cause public education sucks, and kids are always playing video games." or whatever your first inclination answer may be. Of course her answer was beyond hysterical, but I think it was kind of a tough question to pose like that.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    So how would some of you answered the question? I mean, in a pageant like that you can't just say "cause public education sucks, and kids are always playing video games." or whatever your first inclination answer may be. Of course her answer was beyond hysterical, but I think it was kind of a tough question to pose like that.
    "Why do people join gangs?"

"What is the reason for food allergies, such as allergies to shellfish?"

"When you build a house, why are permits required?"

"What is the historical gensis of the beauty pageant?"

I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm not gonna blame our educational system for our nation's geographic dimwits. I squarely put the blame on our culture.

We are an insular culture that doesn't care to learn much about the world beyond our neighborhood or subdivision, much less the world beyond our city, state or nation. Historically this has ebbed and waned among Americans (maybe 50-100 years ago, people had a better general knowledge of geography; maybe 100-150 years ago, it was actually worse), but we are definitely at a low point.

I think us planners are part of a small minority when it comes to competent geographic knowledge among Americans.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    "What is the historical gensis of the beauty pageant?"

"How do you spell G-E-N-E-S-I-S?"
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 18 Sep 2013, 11:42 AM
  2. hello from south carolina
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 06 Oct 2009, 5:35 PM
  3. Hello from South Carolina
    Introduce Yourself