Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: good planning theory book

Registered
    Aug 2007

good planning theory book

Anyone know of any good/interesting planning thoery books? I'm looking for something to do a book report on.....

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Land Use Planning Made Plain - Hok Lin Leung
    Site Planning - Kevin Lynch (or any of his books)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Kevin Lynch -- A Theory of Good City Form which includes this little nugget:

"We are so frightened at being left out at the edge of something that it is now proper to call almost any new establishment a "center". Thus we hear of medical centers, service centers, learning centers, warehouse centers, and building supply centers. If not a center, than any new thing will probably be called a "complex", since integrated complexity also fascinates us. The third metaphor for a good place is expressed by the words garden, estate, or park. A garden center complex is very desirable."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Oct 2011, 11:47 PM
  2. Need a good GIS book
    Information Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Aug 2010, 7:55 AM
  3. Urban theory book
    Book Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Oct 2009, 5:12 PM