Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking requirements for parks...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Parking requirements for parks...

I'm looking for parking requirements for parks... Such as neighborhood parks, athletic fields, community parks, etc... I can't seem to get a good standard, as athletic field requirements seem to be all over the place. I believe this is due to the nature of the events...Thanks!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    It probably boils down to common sense more than anything. Parks are too variable to be able to have a constant standard. I.e. how many ball fields, how many picnic tables, who is the primary user (local walking distance neighborhood, or from all over town), does it have jogging trails, etc etc. I believe you have to look at each park separately, juggle as many variables as you can and take your best guess. And in the end you will still have parks that never have enough spaces and some that are grossly overparked.
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Common sense, agreed. You dont want your lush green spaces surrounded by asphalt

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I would say that once you start introducing active facilities and buildings such as pool houses, ice rings, gyms, etc. I would then worry about parking requirements.

For such facilities, we call them "recreational facilities" and require parking for 30% of building occupancy (building occpuancy is the capacity of the building for fire safety and we use a standard of 15 sqft per person)

Moderator note:
    Also, moving this thread to "Land Use and Zoning" forum becuase this is really a zoning issue.
    Last edited by mendelman; 06 Sep 2007 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I agree with what is being said to a point... But it seems like there must be some reference out the that states, this many spaces per acre of passive use, this many for softball fields, etc... etc... I am trying to put these general recommendations into a Master Plan, so I don't have to nail them down, but generalize...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Jul 2009, 2:51 PM
  2. Parking for public places (parks)
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Jun 2008, 4:46 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 Feb 2004, 11:48 AM
  4. Parking Parking Requirements
    Land Use and Zoning