Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Architects named for world's first commercial spaceport (broadband req'd probably)

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session

Architects named for world's first commercial spaceport (broadband req'd probably)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...aceexploration

Foster & Partners - responsible for (amongst many others):

30 St Mary Axe, London (the 'gherkin')

http://plus.maths.org/issue42/featur...utside_web.jpg

and Wembley Stadium, London

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...um_closeup.jpg

Some quotes form the article:

Artists' impressions of the building suggest a structure that resembles a stealth bomber crossed with the Batmobile. The building will pay homage to the extraordinary terrain of the desert, which is flanked to the east by the San Andreas mountains, and to the area's frontier history. El Camino Real, the trail from Mexico City to Santa Fe, traverses the site.
    Environmentally sensitive techniques that the Foster partnership have increasingly made their trademark will be in full view. The building is being dug deep into the ground, to reduce its profile above the desert and reduce energy costs, while the two large wings of the building will be filled with rocks to cool the air that passes over it, using solar-powered pumps.
    "Conceptually we wanted to create a building that floats over the ground, as though it is hovering lightly in the air," said Foster's lead architect on the project, Grant Brooker.
    We're living in the future!

(Admins - on reflection feel free to shift this somewhere else, like the Design forum or something)

Moderator note:
    Agreed, Harry. Tis done. ~Gedunker

Moderator note:
    Hotlinked images changed to simple text links. There are concerns about image leeching.
    Fourm Rules - 3.2.2 Hotlinked images should be hosted on Web space controlled by the user, or an image hosting service that allows hotlinking. If not, the Web site hosting the images must allow leeching, or permission to leech from that site's owner must be granted. Without permission, the [ url ] tag must be used instead of the [ img ] tag, so an image does not load every time the thread is read.

No suspensions in order for this case, but be warned to follow the above rules when wishing to hotlink images from other websites.

thanks, mendelman
    Last edited by mendelman; 06 Sep 2007 at 9:40 AM.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    SAW warning: How about some Le Corbiser (sp) disciple. .(After throwing some rocks, WYP turns and runs away.)
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Sorry man, but the 30 St. Mary looks like a ... how do I put this ... well begins with a "dil' and ends with a "do" and the former Wembly was soooo much better.

Architecture can be so much better!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    SAW warning: How about some Le Corbiser (sp) disciple. .(After throwing some rocks, WYP turns and runs away.)
    Please ignore previous post. It was a bad case of pwna- posting while not awake- That being said, I do not apologize for the Le Corbiser comment.

Back on topic, it will be interesting what type of architecture evolves if we ever truly enter the age. I imagine it will be some sort of variation on airports, functional with some design elements for the terminal.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2006
    The burning question is..............."Will they need a Landscape Architect in space and if they do, do they have a rocket big enough to handle me and my ego"

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    apologies there mendelman - lapse in concentration.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Is it just me, or does that look like a toilet seat?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What are the world's easiest jobs?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 18 Sep 2009, 5:40 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Jun 2007, 12:13 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Oct 2006, 10:05 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Oct 2006, 7:52 AM