Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Commuters off to an early start

Registered
    Aug 1997

Commuters off to an early start

We've talked about how long our commutes to work are, but this a bit different. Researchers are finding that people are commuting earlier, getting out the door before 6:00 AM to have an easier time getting to work.

This article describes the "commuting creep" and its impacts such as rush hour traffic conditions starting earlier in the morning, and businesses catering more to these early morning commuters.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-routine_N.htm

"What we're seeing now is this tremendous amount of traffic even before 5 a.m. It seems there's a big lifestyle change here," says Alan Pisarski, author of a wide-ranging study on commuting in the USA.

As housing prices soared in many areas in recent years, people sought cheaper homes and found them where land is cheaper: farther out. Sprawl and more cars on the road worsened congestion and lengthened commutes even for those who hadn't moved to far-flung locales.

The wave of pre-dawn commuters has created marketing challenges and opportunities.

Fast-food chains and coffee chains are battling to cater to bleary-eyed drivers by opening earlier. TV morning news shows have pushed up their starting times and now air at dawn or earlier. Newspaper publishers struggle to get their editions on doorsteps before people leave.
    So, how early are we out the door and on our way to work? Have you chosen to commute earlier to make getting to work easier? Or because those early hours can be productive ones?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Not early and no rush here -
    I leave between 7:35-7:45 for a 10-15 minute commute.

I eat breakfast at home and have my coffee and read the paper at work.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    If I'm suffering from a particularly bad bout of insomnia I might go in as early as 5:00 am but normally I'm out the door at 7:45 am.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

During the school year, we are out the door at precisely 7:52. Drop the kids at school at 7:56, and I'm in the office no later than 8:05.

I commuted 45 mins for work right after college, but that's because I was getting some nooky

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    If I am out by 7:15 I make it in at about 7:50. If I leave at 7:20, I'll be here at 8:10.

Of course other variables include stops at the gas station, maybe getting a breakfast burrito and whether or not various farm equipment like to use the road which I take.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    On the days I don't work from home, I leave the house at 7:45-8:00 and am at the office around 8:30-8:45. When I work from home, I tend to start working anywhere between 7 & 8.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    out a 8am. in work for 8.30.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    4:30 Get up to take dog for a run or to work out
    5:30 Back at condo, eat breakfast
    6:00 Shower and get ready for work
    6:45 Out the door with cup of coffee in hand
    8:00 At desk with computer on ready to work.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We generally are out the door around 7:40. I drop my wife and son off at her job (she works in a daycare), then I go to work. Takes me about 15 minutes to get to work total, fighting the horrendous Helena traffic.

I have to keep myself from laughing when in public meetings people complain about the traffic in the valley. They have no idea what bad traffic is like.

Worked with a lawyer at the state and he always left work ten minutes early to escape the "traffic" around the Capitol.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    4:30 Get up to take dog for a run or to work out
    You are either lying or insane.

6:30 Wake up, hit snooze button
    6:39 Really wake up this time
    6:42 Take shower, let dogs out
    6:50 Step out of shower, let dogs in, feed them
    6:55 Shave, get dressed, etc
    7:15 Check to make sure Cyburbia is still running, hasn't been spammed to death, etc.
    7:20 Bribe dogs into kitchen/dining room, gate them in
    7:25 Out the door
    8:00-8:10 Hopefully at work

My commute is long, about 27 miles/44 kilometers, but it's contraflow. I really only have to worry if there's an accident or a particularly long train at one of the grade crossings I encounter. NPR and Howard Stern provide company on the way to work.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I fit this mold pretty well.

Up at 4:50
    5am- Dog for a walk
    5:15am- Leave for work
    6:30am- Get to work

Leave at 4pm to get home around 5:30. I work odd hours but have the flexibility to not go to work on Fridays... which is nice. No one should have to work on Fridays. Seriously.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Up at 6:00 a.m., out the door by 7:00a.m., at work between 7:20 and 7:40 depending on whether I drive or take the bus.

I'd love to wake up a little earlier and do something like M'skis but that just ain't happening. My gym doesn't even open until 6:30 a.m. in any event.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I arrive at the office between 6 and 6:30 after a 7-mile drive. I like being here early to enjoy uninterrupted work.
    I leave for home when damn good and ready...especially this time of year when the pool is warm.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    For those of you who get up at 4:30 or thereabouts do you actually go to bed really early or do you just get by with not much sleep.
    -Jared

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I go to work later....

Get up at 7am usually.
    Out the door by 8:15-8:30
    Get to work around 9:10-9:20
    Work later to avoid the traffic in the evening.

My drive is somewhat of a reverse commute. Route 18 South through New Brunswick where it crosses US 1 and the NJ Turnpike so it's always backed up. From there it's another 5 miles of traffic signals and medium traffic. After that it's open road all the way to Route 36 which leads to the shore and is full of lights and beach traffic.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Up until about a month ago:
    Up at 5:10 am
    Out the door by 5:45 am
    Get to work about 6:50 am
    Leave work by 4:10 pm (and no later if possible)
    Get home at 5:20 pm

The first half of the commute was very easy, the second half was interstate packed with traffic. If I left between 6:00 and 7:00 am or on the way after 5:00 pm, the hour commute turned into an hour twenty or more. So when I read this article this morning I directly relate to what was being said, becasue I was living it.

Now, with my new job:
    Up at 6:50 am
    Out the door at 7:20 am
    In the office at 7:45
    If I leave at 7:25, I play dodge bus during the first part of the drive (getting behind those big yellow steel boxes on wheels full of kids).
    I leave at 5:00 pm
    Home about 5:20 pm

I still get home at the same time, but the mornings are much more enjoyable and I actually get to talk to Mrs. P and give Wee P a hug and a kiss before I leave!!!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Up at 7
    Walk dog, maybe swim, lift weights, putz in yard
    Get on bike at 8:30
    Arrive at work 8:40

Leave work 5:30 - 6:00
    Get home 15 min later (its uphill)

Wife has 5 min walk to work.

We are blessed.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    I'd love to wake up a little earlier and do something like M'skis but that just ain't happening. My gym doesn't even open until 6:30 a.m. in any event.
    We have a private workout facility in the basement of our condo building. *Open to residents 24/7/365… closed on leap day.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Up at 5:50, feed the cats, read the paper
    Leave for work 6:50 stop at Bojangles for a biscuit
    Arrive at work 7:25
    Leave work 4:15
    Hit the grocery store, get home 4:40-5:00

Used to be much worse. For two years I did a 100 mile round trip commute that took an hour each way.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I usually leave home at 6:50-7am to get to work at 8a

But I am up at 5a to work and play with the dog and do everything else (shower, eat, watch a little tv, play with boy, etc.)

This is the most commute that I will ever do. 30 miles/1 hour each way is alot and I have contemplated moving to/near the muni. I work for, but I am having trouble making the decision. I really love my urban streetcar suburb.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    up sometime between 7:20 and 7:40
    leave for work between 8:06 and 8:15.
    arrive at work between 8:10 and 8:20.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If I drive, its 25 minutes door to door and I can leave at 7:30.

If I decide to take the bus, its an hour and I need to leave at 6:30.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Wake up at 4:30
    Get to the gym by 5:15
    Work out until 6:30
    Get to work by 7:30

I live 15 minutes from work (by car) and it is a reverse commute.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Wake at 6:15
    let hounds of hell out 6:30
    Bribe em back in 6:35-6:40
    Read email and wake up 6:40-7
    Shower and such *stare at sleeping other half with much envy as he dreams* 7am
    Walk out the door 7:30
    Get to work 8am *30 min before we open*

Head home 4:30 *30 min before we close*
    Walk in 4:50-5

I find going in 30 min early a HUGE jump on traffic coming and going. One of my co workers lives about an hour from here and he gets in about 7am to beat the I270 mess
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Up at 6. Shower, get the boys up, change diapers, feed kids, get dressed, kiss everyone goodbye.
    Leave house around 7:15-7:30
    Get to work between 8 and 8:15, Town Hall opens at 8:30.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Aug 2010, 5:24 PM
  2. The latest captive market: commuters
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 10 Jan 2007, 4:11 PM
  3. Reverse commuters
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 28