Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rock quarry reclamation

Registered
    Mar 2003

Rock quarry reclamation

I am about to open a can of worms.

Are there industry standards for Rock Quarry Reclamation. I have some open quarries that the owner seems to believe can just sit indefinately but I need to take a stand and make then reclaim.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

You may want to check the City of Bloomington and/or Monroe County, Indiana (probably more likely) owing to the limestone quarries there. I know at least some of them are abandoned, but I'm not sure what requirements there may be for reclamation.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    So far I have been very surprised at the responce I have gotten. I put out the word to the state zoning officials and have not gotten one bite for anyone that has had top deal with them. I guess people have just scared the earth and left it that way.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    About 8 years ago our state tackled this. Both for existing and new operations.

Linkie

EDIT: Once in the link, look for NR 135

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I've seen them reused. For rifle ranges, scuba, etc.

Are you thinking of filling one in?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    Are there industry standards for Rock Quarry Reclamation...
    Industry standards? Probably none.

First: what are these rocks of which you speak? I'm in Florida, mostly sand mining here. Our county requires a state DEP permit which requires a reclamation plan prior to issuance. Here's a Florida DEP link.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/mines/index.htm

If I recall correctly, California also requires a permit from the state that includes a reclamation plan and bonding (SMARA).

http://www.consrv.ca.gov/OMR/smara/index.htm
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 13 Sep 2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: no rocks...

Registered
    Oct 2003
    That is a tough one. Arizona is a rich (copper) mining state which means the mining companies pretty much get what they want. The Lavender Pit in Bisbee is one good example. Good luck, but the mining money may run deep.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    We have a requirement where they can only mine a small piece at a time, and must reclaim it before they begin on the next section. I believe its 10 acre pieces.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    You'll find Arkansas' "Quarry Operation, Reclamation, and Safe Closure Act at adeq.state.ar.us/mining/pdfs/act_1166_010615.pdf.

If you go to riversdell.com/shale/documents/_WVCode_22-4_(QuarryAct).pdf you'll find "Chapter 22. Environmental Resources Article Four. Quarry Reclamation Act." which seems to go into a lot of details. I believe it's from West Virginia,

If you're in a situation where you have no local or state regulations to fall back on, and need to formulate something from scratch, maybe the "Guide to Preparing an EA Registration Document for Pit and Quarry Development in Nova Scotia" could give you ideas. Its at gov.ns.ca/enla/ea/docs/EAGuidePitQuarry.pdf

There's also the "Aggregate Operators Best Management Practices Handbook Part 1" from British Columbia that can give an idea of what you should be able to expect from operators. At em.gov.bc.ca/Mining/MiningStats/Aggregate%20BMP%20Handbook/Chapters/1_Introduction.pdf

If you google for "quarry reclamation" you'll find a lot of examples of reclamation plans, hearings, regulations and more.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    We have a requirement where they can only mine a small piece at a time, and must reclaim it before they begin on the next section. I believe its 10 acre pieces.
    We have that imposed on this one but then he wanted to argue that it wasn't in his CUP but they should be able to have 10 acres open for the crusher. So that would allow him 30 acres. I just shook my head.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Limestone quarrying in NW Ohio and SE Michigan is big. There are many quarries still in operation. In many instances, the quarries that are now closed filled with water (because of the water tables). These are now lined with housing developments, parks, police training ranges (including scuba and water rescue), and a other uses.

Every non-operating quarry I know of in this area has something going on around it. Because I am not familiar with state and local laws, I cannot say how much influence law and regulation has on quarries that have been worked-out.

A couple of the biggest quarries in the area are just down the road from my workplace.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Do you rock?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 21 Apr 2010, 10:49 AM
  2. Reuse and reclamation project...Buffalo, NY...looking
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 13 Jun 2005, 1:55 PM