Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ph.D. admissions for Fall 2008

Registered
    Sep 2007

Ph.D. admissions for Fall 2008

Hi, I thought I'd start a thread for those of us applying to doctoral programs in planning and related fields. I'm applying to Berkeley, MIT, Columbia, and two other schools (but for political science). Anyone else?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I am in the process of applying for a Ph.D. in Planning.
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Is it possible to go straight from a bachelors to a phd? It seems most students who end up getting a phd didn't plan on getting it or teaching and researching. What if you already know you want a phd and your an undergraduate? You really have to go through the same process? Isn't there some program that combines a masters and phd at the same time?

Registered
    Sep 2007
    I think it really depends on the school. Most the schools I have seen require master's degrees (like Berkeley, USC, or Columbia) or strongly recommend them (MIT). I was in the same situation as an undergrad. I'm getting my master's in a related field, even though I've always known I want to apply to doctoral programs. I have seen some programs that don't require them for PhD admissions. I'd check into individual programs and see what they say.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by lh84 View post
    Hi, I thought I'd start a thread for those of us applying to doctoral programs in planning and related fields. I'm applying to Berkeley, MIT, Columbia, and two other schools (but for political science). Anyone else?
    Do you want to be a professor?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Yea, I do want to be a professor...my first major in undergraduate was education, then I switched to geography and planning. I have an interest in teaching and showing people how to do things. At the same time, I'm interested in urban planning and design. I haven't even finished my bachelors yet, but I just want to work for the phd and not masters then phd.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally posted by drockisu07 View post
    Do you want to be a professor?
    Yes, I do. Basically, I love school and never want to leave. I've been working as a TA for the past couple of semesters, and while I know it isn't the same as being a professor, it's been an amazing experience.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by lh84 View post
    Yes, I do. Basically, I love school and never want to leave. I've been working as a TA for the past couple of semesters, and while I know it isn't the same as being a professor, it's been an amazing experience.
    Yeah, I am actually a TA myself, but not really into academia, at least not at this school. Definately a good thing to get into though.

Registered
    Jul 2006

Admissions Notifications

Has anyone here received notifications from Ph.D. programs?

I applied to Berkeley and MIT. Today I received an acceptance from MIT on the application status website. I'm really thrilled, but since I haven't actually heard from them (via phone, letter, or e-mail), I'm starting to worry that maybe it was a mistake.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ls2091 View post
    Has anyone here received notifications from Ph.D. programs?

I applied to Berkeley and MIT. Today I received an acceptance from MIT on the application status website. I'm really thrilled, but since I haven't actually heard from them (via phone, letter, or e-mail), I'm starting to worry that maybe it was a mistake.
    Congratulations!!! That is a major accomplishment (I'm sure its not a mistake).

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by pazzo83 View post
    Congratulations!!! That is a major accomplishment (I'm sure its not a mistake).
    Thanks so much! Which programs are you considering/waiting for?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Thanks so much! Which programs are you considering/waiting for?
    Haha, MIT & Harvard, but only Masters right now. I'm hoping that we will start to hear about them soon.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Haha, MIT & Harvard, but only Masters right now. I'm hoping that we will start to hear about them soon.
    Yeah, it seems like you should definitely hear in the next week or so. Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Registered
    Feb 2008

PhD Apps

Hi,

I applied to UNC, UC Irvine, and Michigan. I've been accepted at Irvine, but nothing yet from the other two.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by madeinbritain View post
    Hi,

I applied to UNC, UC Irvine, and Michigan. I've been accepted at Irvine, but nothing yet from the other two.
    Irvine is a great school. Have you visited?

Are you in Richmond now? I did my undergrad there. I miss living in the Fan!

Registered
    Feb 2008

Richmond

Yep, I'm in Richmond now. I grew up here, but I've been away several times. Used to live in the Fan, now we're over near Carytown. I feel kind of lucky to ride my bike down Monument and Franklin to work every day. I've lived in a lot of places but RIchmond keeps drawing me back in.

I'm going out to visit UCI this weekend. I'm excited about what they have to offer. It's the best fit with my research interests, and the people there have been great so far. Never thought I would ever live in Orange County though. I really enjoy urban life (spoiled from living in the Fan and Cardiff, Wales) so it might be a bit difficult to adjust.

BTW, congrats on getting into MIT. That's a great opportunity all the way around!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by madeinbritain View post
    Yep, I'm in Richmond now. I grew up here, but I've been away several times. Used to live in the Fan, now we're over near Carytown. I feel kind of lucky to ride my bike down Monument and Franklin to work every day. I've lived in a lot of places but RIchmond keeps drawing me back in.

I'm going out to visit UCI this weekend. I'm excited about what they have to offer. It's the best fit with my research interests, and the people there have been great so far. Never thought I would ever live in Orange County though. I really enjoy urban life (spoiled from living in the Fan and Cardiff, Wales) so it might be a bit difficult to adjust.

BTW, congrats on getting into MIT. That's a great opportunity all the way around!
    Yeah, Richmond is way under-rated, in my opinion. Orange County would be a big transition. I know lots of people who love it there, though. I guess you can't beat the weather! Let us know how the visit goes and good luck with your other schools!

Thanks! I'm really thrilled about MIT.
    Last edited by ls2091; 04 Mar 2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: (updated info)

Registered
    Feb 2008
    Is getting the Ph.D. in planning only for if you want to teach or do research? Is it needed to advance a career in planning, or is the master's good enough?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, Richmond is way under-rated, in my opinion. Orange County would be a big transition. I know lots of people who love it there, though. I guess you can't beat the weather! Let us know how the visit goes and good luck with your other schools!

Thanks! I'm really thrilled about MIT.
    Agree about RIC, it is a very cool city (I grew up about 90 miles to the West.

Regarding MIT, did you hear from an actual human??

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by urban chic View post
    Is getting the Ph.D. in planning only for if you want to teach or do research? Is it needed to advance a career in planning, or is the master's good enough?
    Yes, I think those are the main reasons people decide to get a Ph.D. in planning... either to work in academia or research organizations. From my understanding, a master's degree is the best degree for someone who actually wants to work as a planner. (The Ph.D. is a lot of research and theory, and a lot of times involves less practical or applied stuff.) I'm sure this varies by school and by situation, though.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Agree about RIC, it is a very cool city (I grew up about 90 miles to the West.

Regarding MIT, did you hear from an actual human??
    I did! I received a phone call tonight from a faculty member.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    I did! I received a phone call tonight from a faculty member.
    Awesome!!!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Awesome!!!
    Thanks! Hopefully they'll make the MCP decisions soon!

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Thanks! Hopefully they'll make the MCP decisions soon!
    Masters program announcements are coming next week... or so says my friend who finished her MCP (IDG) last year and still keeps in touch with students/faculty.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Has anyone heard from Berkeley? I noticed a rejection was recently posted on www.thegradcafe.com ... aren't accepted students usually notified first?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Sep 2010, 10:50 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Mar 2010, 9:59 AM
  3. MLA for Fall 2008
    Student Commons
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 29 Mar 2008, 11:30 AM
  4. Replies: 3