Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Patriots videogate scandal and consequences

Registered
    Jan 2005

Patriots videogate scandal and consequences

During the New England Patriots romp over the lowly Jets it was discovered that a member of the Pats staff was videotaping the Jets defensive signals, which is apparently against NFL rules. The Commissioner of the NFL, sources say, will significantly punish the Patriots for this, which may include the elimination of draft picks. Pats coach Bill Belicheck issued a vague apology yesterday for the whole episode.

The Patriots have attained the rare distinction of being an NFL dynasty in recent years, winning three out of the last five Super Bowls. But according to an ESPN poll many people feel that the video-taping scheme will diminish the Pats' greatness, which is not surprising because a lot of people resent the Pats' success (basically fans of all the other teams in the NFL).

However, was what the Patriots did really all that bad? Is it any different than stealing signs in a baseball game, which happens all the time? Isn't everything on the football field videotaped in today's game anyway? Are the sidelines/opposing coaches off-limits?

Coaches are aware of this, or should be. That's why they are always covering their mouths when they are calling plays into their headsets. And isn't it pretty stupid to use hand signals when the technology is there to mike plays into players' helmets?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    However, was what the Patriots did really all that bad? Is it any different than stealing signs in a baseball game, which happens all the time? Isn't everything on the football field videotaped in today's game anyway? Are the sidelines/opposing coaches off-limits?
    Well... yeah.. it's bad.. it's the Patriots.

On the other hand, every team looks at the signals being sent out for the plays but videotaping it allows for one to archive the signals, maybe even show your pretty boy quarter back visual proof at halftime.

I think this is scratching the surface for the Pansies. Belichick is a smug asshole who dresses like a bum... and now a cheater. I say ban them from the playoffs for the next two years (or have them play the Broncos.. to whom they always seem to lose...)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

love ya' zman, but &^%$ &#@

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014677

my hubby and I think Bill will not recover from this and either he will be canned now or will be asked to leave at the end of the season

I agree that what he did was pretty dumb and likely had to do with the Jet's bad blood with him; however he was slapped last year for doing it to the Packers so he does habit of using the tapes in a funny way

there is a side to me that says well, duh, wouldn't anyone try to figure out the other team's plays but this is a layperson thought as I know the rules say otherwise - I think there are many Pats fans that are saying the same thing but I think that's out of ignorance

then again, I do think he doesn't need to do this kind of thing but I wonder if it's that he just got caught and all the teams do it - I would think that teams change their signals every game anyway or if they don't, they should - anyone with a set of binoculars could do the same thing

so it's a things that make you go hhmmm sort of thing that has no easy answers but could make who I think is a brilliant man lose his career...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It really does not surprise me that this comes out of the Vikings. They have to be one of the least "sportsman-like" teams in the game.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Geez, don't you think that there's enough video of games floating around without Bill having to hire a videographer of his own. Stealing signs is a sacred part of baseball, who'd a thunk that footballers would have the smarts to do it too? 40 lashes for stupidity! My penalty would be to force Belichick to wear a suit and tie at games for the rest of the season.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by lucklessped.
    love ya' zman, but &^%$ &#@

hugskittensflowersrainbowsandsunshine

Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    My penalty would be to force Belichick to wear a suit and tie at games for the rest of the season.
    Forgiveness for being a Michigan fan after that statement. I love it!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2006
    To me its an honor violation. To the NFL is a rule violation. You can steal signs but do so on the sly, like in baseball. The fact is its cheating and violates a league policy. Also the league warned all the teams at the beginning of the season not to behave like this and the Pats get caught the first week of the season.

Coaches are aware of this, or should be. That's why they are always covering their mouths when they are calling plays into their headsets. And isn't it pretty stupid to use hand signals when the technology is there to mike plays into players' helmets?
    Hand signals are still used on defense because the only miked communication is between the qb and the coach calling the plays. In some stadiums the mikes don't work well or the noise of the crowd is too loud for the qb to hear it so the offense will use hand signals from time to time. The league voted down the use of miking the middle linebacker again. Maybe this scandal will change that decision.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Here is a shot from the Pats rivals. Do other teams and other spots do it, probably, but not so blantantly. In fact, baseball makes a game of it and has for years. The videotaping was over the top and pointless. With TV cameras all over the place, they could have gotten the info off of them.

There is a cetain amount of finding and rejoicing in finding kinks the Pats armour since they have been so good for so long
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    As a Pats fan, I'm disgusted by the arrogance displayed in flaunting the rule. I know other teams do it, but none are as brazen as the Pats were. They deserve to be docked draft picks and fined.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    I'm disgusted by the arrogance displayed.
    Dang, and here I had you pegged as a likely Pats apologist!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    While it will always be a cloud over Belicheck's head, I doubt that there will be serious consequences.

I predict either a 1 game suspension for Belicheck or a loss of a couple of mid-round draft picks next year.

Now can we quit this whining and wussiness and just play football? If I was Mangini I would've just videotapped them back as a f**k you to his old boss. I guarantee you that if the Jets had won, Mangini wouldn't have said a damn thing.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I want the rings back.

Make sense how they walked out on the field after haltime of the super Bowl and marched right down the field.

Dont the Pats use the locker room staff to spy as well?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Well... yeah.. it's bad.. it's the Patriots.

On the other hand, every team looks at the signals being sent out for the plays but videotaping it allows for one to archive the signals, maybe even show your pretty boy quarter back visual proof at halftime.

I think this is scratching the surface for the Pansies. Belichick is a smug asshole who dresses like a bum... and now a cheater. I say ban them from the playoffs for the next two years (or have them play the Broncos.. to whom they always seem to lose...)
    You beat us in the playoffs like twice in the past 10 years (and the last one was a gift from the officials). You do not want a piece of the Pats this year, trust me.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Fine the coaching staff not the players or owners. The coaching staff made the decision to go ahead with this. Fine him (and make it hurt) so others will not do it. I think the Commissioner should make a distinction between the coach and his tactics and the players/owner.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    May 2002
    The Patriots will pay a fine, the NFL will watch to make sure it never happens again, and life will go on. The rule wasn't "don't steal signs". The rule was "no video recording devices in the booth". That was broken.

Having said that, Brady threw a complete pass to Randy Moss while Moss was in triple coverage. Other than Donovan McNabb (maybe) and Peyton Manning (probably), name one more QB in the league that could have made that pass. Maybe the Patriots were taking the Jets so lightly that they were stealing the signs to throw into the hardest part of their defense.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I love how this is defended repeatedly with Tom Brady threw a pass to Moss...

yeah well he knw what defense they would be in, he knew what he was up against.

They are cheaters. Plain and simple. They cheated.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    You beat us in the playoffs like twice in the past 10 years (and the last one was a gift from the officials). You do not want a piece of the Pats this year, trust me.
    My statement includes the regular season as well...

Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    ... name one more QB in the league that could have made that pass.
    Give Jay Cutler 2-3 years...

Quote Originally posted by Jeff
    They are cheaters. Plain and simple. They cheated.
    I love you, Buddy!

-Peart

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Give Jay Cutler 2-3 years...
    They will run him out of town too like Plummer and Griese...unless they start cheating like the Pats.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

From Commish Bear....

Here's your penalty, if Bear was Commish:

Belicheck - Suspended for four games.
    Patriots - Lost top 3 draft picks next year and 3rd and 4th pick in the year following.

No $$ fines - Fines for teams and players are jokes, unless they are REALLY BIG. They never are.

And.....Z-Man is fined for being a Denver fan.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    And.....Z-Man is fined for being a Denver fan.
    And suspended for being a ND fan.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    (ZMan shakes fist in air) aaaarrrrrrgh...

-Peart

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    (ZMan shakes fist in air) aaaarrrrrrgh...
    What kind of socks does a pirate wear?

Aaaarrrrghhhhile.

Next Wednesday is Talk Like A Pirate Day !!!

(Thanks for reminding us, Z-Man.)

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Goodell's Solution was:

The New England coach was fined the NFL maximum of $500,000 Thursday and the Patriots were ordered to pay $250,000 for stealing an opponent's defensive signals.

Commissioner Roger Goodell also ordered the team to give up next year's first-round draft choice if it reaches the playoffs and second- and third-round picks if it doesn't.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7222570
    Comments?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Goodell's Solution was:

The New England coach was fined the NFL maximum of $500,000 Thursday and the Patriots were ordered to pay $250,000 for stealing an opponent's defensive signals.

Commissioner Roger Goodell also ordered the team to give up next year's first-round draft choice if it reaches the playoffs and second- and third-round picks if it doesn't.Comments?
    Spanked 'em pretty hard for cheating. Seems fair enough.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I'm actually surprised there wasn't a suspension included in the punishment.

It is a harsh, yet, IMO, appropriate punishment to hopefully prevent the Pats or any other team from doing this again.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 20 Jan 2012, 11:14 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 10 Jan 2012, 12:37 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 27 Aug 2004, 4:18 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 May 2004, 1:09 PM
  5. More Laws of Unintended Consequences