Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop Embarassing Yourselves! (aka Regional Pride)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Ummm... that is only NASCAR... and you can keep them.

Up here, we are building street rods and muscle cars. There is a reason that it is called “Detroit Muscle” in the “Motor City”! On the street or on the Strip, your going down.
    You guys get all the factory parts, but the truly wicked stuff comes from the backwoods of the Carolinas. Yep, you guys build street rods and muscle cars. We build horsepower.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    And those California shops are a joke. They all want do the same thing... chop the top, put some dubs on with a fresh paint job, and install an air freshener. That is CA custom.
    Qutoed for Truth.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Captain Worley View post
    Two things:

1) You guys up north need to stop trying to make BBQ. No lie, WTH is the deal with ketchup BBQ. I don't even put that God forsaken substance on my french fries. And what is the deal with ketchup on hot dogs? Even Dirty Harry knows that's just plain wrong.

2) You guys outrside of SC and NC need to just stop trying to get more horsepower out of an American motor than we do. There's a reason all the big race shops are in NC and SC and that's because we know how to make big, nasty, sweaty, tarmac ripping horsepower. You wouldn't believe how many daily drivers are running Nascar clocked parts down here. Pretty soon, we'll be whooping you with the Japanes motors, if not already. I know of one turbo propane powered DSM that is UNGODLY.
    OMG you are too funny. Thanks for making me crack a smile and wishing I were down South. Ketchup is foul in BBQ sauce and not much better in or on anything else. I went to a BBQ contest in PA a few weeks back and it was very different from those on the Southern circuit, well except for the teams here from the South. Grits and biscuits aren't right up here either.

zman you hit the nail on the head when you said tea is supposed to be sweet and cornbread isn't. Amen.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    German Pizza. Hands down the worst I've ever eaten. Ranks right up there with Amerikanische Bier.
    ok...why would you eat pizza in Germany....but the worst pizza I had was in Canada...and I have yet to have good pizza in Vermont...despite being so close to NY!

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Grits and biscuits in PA --that's all wrong.
    And football in Michigan after ASU? Not even.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by thinknik View post
    Grits and biscuits in PA --that's all wrong.
    Not at my house. Here we are an island of decent Southern food in a sea of perogies, french fries, and bad bbq, which for most places here is nothing more than extra fatty ribs dipped in ketchup. Really, they should just stop it.

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    New. York. Pizza.

The rest is just lousy imitation. Okay, Chicago's a distant second. Far distant.
    Sorry 'dunker

New York pizza sucks. Give a Chicago style pie any day of the week over the NY style: crap

Basketball: Anybody outside of Indiana and Kentucky ought to give it up. Other places, its a game. In Indiana and Kentucky, it is life. Anybody who doubts this, needs to go to a high school game in either one of these states.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Basketball: Anybody outside of Indiana and Kentucky ought to give it up. Other places, its a game. In Indiana and Kentucky, it is life. Anybody who doubts this, needs to go to a high school game in either one of these states.
    I've only visited the state a few times, but basketball seems to be a pretty big part of life in North Carolina as well.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    New. York. Pizza.

The rest is just lousy imitation. Okay, Chicago's a distant second. Far distant.
    You haven't tasted the pizza hot off the stone from Restaurantori RJ's. Thick sourdough crust, home made sauce, choice of toppings.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Vermont. Maple. Syrup.

That's it - the one and only. The rest of you imposters can keep your syrup inside your own borders where it belongs. That includes you too, Canada.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by BeansandCod View post
    Vermont. Maple. Syrup.

That's it - the one and only. The rest of you imposters can keep your syrup inside your own borders where it belongs. That includes you too, Canada.
    An old friend from the service visited a couple of months ago from New Hampshire and he and his wife stayed overnight. I made pancakes for breakfast and you'd think I'd farted in church with the expression on their faces when I offered them local grocery store brand syrup (made from genuine wholesome corn syrup and 2% REAL maple syrup!). He politely requested to be excused, went out to his camper and came back with a quart of real Vermont maple syrup and said "I refuse to put that....that......stuff on something intended for human consumption!" and proceeded to share his real Vermont maple syrup. It was good, but has anyone else noted that real maple syrup is a lot runnier than the imitation grocery store variety?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    ~snip~
    It was good, but has anyone else noted that real maple syrup is a lot runnier than the imitation grocery store variety?
    It probably wasn't refrigerated. The good stuff needs to be kept cold or yes, it will get runny.

WYP I suppose you like pineapple on your Chicago pizza, too...

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    The US of A - please stop starting wars. You don't seem to be able to finish them particularly quickly, or neatly.

*awaits long list of British Empire military disasters*

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by BeansandCod View post
    Vermont. Maple. Syrup.

I love it too better than anywhere else but I have grown fond of Maine syrup, it's very smoky, especially if you can get Grade B, which is what we make with the trees on our property.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Captain Worley View post
    Two things:

1) You guys up north need to stop trying to make BBQ. No lie, WTH is the deal with ketchup BBQ. I don't even put that God forsaken substance on my french fries. And what is the deal with ketchup on hot dogs? Even Dirty Harry knows that's just plain wrong.
    Make that barbeque anywhere outside of Austin/Central Texas, Memphis, or Kansas City. Any other "variations" of barbeque are merely poor copies of one of these varieties.

On the same note on food, all Mexican food outside of Mexico or Texas. It sucks anywhere else, anyway.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I suppose you like pineapple on your Chicago pizza, too...
    Or tofu, or broccoli, or chicken! There's a time and place for healthy eating, but putting the aforementioned ingredients on PIZZA is akin to adding vitamins to liquor.

Quote Originally posted by LP
    I love it too better than anywhere else but I have grown fond of Maine syrup, it's very smoky, especially if you can get Grade B, which is what we make with the trees on our property.
    Okay, I'll reveal to the world what an uncultured bumpkin I truly am by asking - can you really tell where maple syrup comes from based on the taste alone? I guess I never noticed any difference. Granted, I probably have real maple syrup maybe once every two years or so. Not much of a comparative basis.

Dang, maybe we should be merging this thread with the 'snobbery' thread.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    On the same note on food, all Mexican food outside of Mexico or Texas. It sucks anywhere else, anyway.
    Oh, feel free to keep your Mexican-ish "Tex-Mex" food

I can find plenty of genuine Mexican food in any city in California - typically produced by someone who still holds Mexican citizenship

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by HarryFossettsHat View post
    The US of A - please stop starting wars. You don't seem to be able to finish them particularly quickly, or neatly.

*awaits long list of British Empire military disasters*
    Perhaps we should only start wars against the British Empire, those seem to go well for us.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Perhaps we should only start wars against the British Empire, those seem to go well for us.
    Fair point.

Although I do have a good laugh about the 'invasion' of Whitehaven that lead to the establishment of the US Navy.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Sorry 'dunker

New York pizza sucks. Give a Chicago style pie any day of the week over the NY style: crap
    I'll second that. I've always thought New Yorkers must take pride in their pizza because it's so bad...an acquired taste kind of thing.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    Oh, feel free to keep your Mexican-ish "Tex-Mex" food

I can find plenty of genuine Mexican food in any city in California - typically produced by someone who still holds Mexican citizenship

I can certainly vouch for California--I had some of the best Mexican food at a little dive in San Diego. I still think Texas dominates this category, if only because it has several variations: from pure Mexican food to Tex-Mex.

Ironically, my favorite Mexican food is from a little place in Ohio that BUN is familiar with. Everything there is great--they just need to learn how to make a proper spicy salsa.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    I'll second that. I've always thought New Yorkers must take pride in their pizza because it's so bad...an acquired taste kind of thing.
    Looks like a Chicago vs New York face off on pizza.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Looks like a Chicago vs New York face off on pizza.
    I'll come to that party and bring the Beaujolais!

but really, with great cookbooks, the migration of people, and such, I make my Bar-b-que sauce Missouri style, with no ketchup, taken from a Pierre Franey cookbook, and my husband's Texas chili won a chili contest last year and it was out of the Frugal Gourmet (perv that he is) Cooks American cookbook - both in a New England kitchen - but yeah, his chowder also won an award and he hand-picks the mussels and clams from a secret cove which cannot be duplicated outside of New England merely because of its freshness

we can all thank Julia Child for helping us learn to cook the French way in our suburban kitchens

my favorite Mexican restaurant is a Mexican restaurant in an alley in Harvard Square that was started by a Mexican family - their mole sauce was not to be beat

it's places like Chili's and The Olive Garden that have Wonder-breaded good cooking from regions of the world

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    it's places like Chili's and The Olive Garden that have Wonder-breaded good cooking from regions of the world
    Amen!!!! Sing it, Sister!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2003
    New. York. Pizza.

Eating NY style pizza is about as bland as the greasy paper plate it comes on. Chicago Deep Dish is where it's at. Stop embarrasing yourselves.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Make that barbeque anywhere outside of Austin/Central Texas, Memphis, or Kansas City. Any other "variations" of barbeque are merely poor copies of one of these varieties.

kjelsadek, you want to handle this or should I? While I will give minor props to our midwestern cousins for beef bbq (my brother lives in KC and has tried to impress me)...don't go slammin' true pork bbq till you head over the the Carolinas and have yourself a "Chopped Course Brown" pork sandwich. Meet me in Tryon for the state bbq contest, or come down to Wilbur's in Goldsboro...and many places in between. Better yet, stand around the cooker during our of our group of frieends "RibFest" parties. You can have your cow but we'll keep the pig.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Whatever Happened to Pride?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 09 Apr 2009, 6:27 PM
  2. Palmetto Pride #1
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Jul 2003, 3:54 PM
  3. Replies: 11