Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: You shouldn't verbalize the things you might think!

Registered
    Mar 2003

You shouldn't verbalize the things you might think!

How many of us have been in this position.

Seeing RED Madder than HELL at a developer BUT we MUST not actually say the things that we are thinking to the person.

I would hope that we here at Cyburbia would be able to support our fellow planners, PLEASE if you get so that you feel this way, reach out for our help locally or here but don't allow yourself to get in this position.

The sad thing for me is that I know this man and he is such a gentleman. Things must have gotten way out of hand.

WARNING: The language is strong and could offend.
    http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/

Moderator note:
    (Dan)EDIT: permalink to blog article
    http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkans..._planning.aspx
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I say that if a developer can verbally abuse a planner (or any govt. worker for that matter) at the counter, then we shall be able to dish it back to them. Too many times have we taken tirades from people while all the while they know we can do nothing about it but take it.
    Threatening death is another matter though.

I have managed with coming back with some straight talk and the occassional terse remark.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Actually, I do not allow myself or any staff to get abused by developers or residents. I tell them to warn the individuals once about appropriate conduct and if the person cannot contain themselves, exit the meeting room and tell them that you will be back in later when they are able to communicate appropriatley.
    Satellite City Enabler

This is hilarious, and I think it's worth quoting here in case the blog link vanishes:

No pushover at Planning

Little Rock residents often complain that city planners aren't tough enough on developers. But maybe they don't want them this tough.

Jim Narey, director of planning and zoning for the city of Maumelle, was arrested this morning on a charge of terroristic threatening. The reported victim was Charles Hinson, a developer who’s been involved in a lawsuit over a new Maumelle subdivision. Bail was set at $2,000.

What does it take to get arrested for first-degree terroristic threatening? Try leaving this message on someone’s phone:

“Hey Chucky, you big fat ****er. I am twice the man that you are and in twice the shape that you are in. Why don’t you meet me so I can cut off your ****ing arms and ****ing legs and kill your ****ing ass? Meet me anytime, anywhere, you pick where you want to die. This is not about business you ****er, this is about you dying.”

A city of Maumelle news release said “there is no allegation that the alleged conduct was in any way within the scope of his employment.” It also says that Narey will be keeping his position. Any future city business with Hinson will be handled by a planning consultant, not Narey. But he'll be around, Chucky.

-- John C. Williams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    In much of the world, losing your temper, or reacting verbally like this is a sure way to lose all respect and credibility for a long time to come.

Professionals should stay professional, even with unprofessional behaviour of customers or clients. But the professional needs to maintain his or her own self-respect as well, and the way Plan-it does it, is good, I think.

We also have to accept that even professionals are people. And I know from my own experience that a lot of issues unrelated to work can affect one's mood, temperament and irritiability. In this particular case, what we don't know is the past history with Hinson. The fact that Narey keeps his job, and all future relations with Hinson will be handled by a sonsultant tells me there's a long history here, well known in the department.

It helps, when dealing with irritated and irate clients, to find out what underlies the irritation. Even if its inexcusable behaviour, it might be understandable. To recognise the feeling, without justifying or accepting it, often helps to defuse a situation. Ignoring it and fanning it by "giving it back" will often make it worse. I know all too well, though, that this ain't easy.

That is AWESOME. That guy just fulfilled the dream of every public servant.

Legally, I think he left himself a loophole as well. Remember, he said it wasn't about business
    In the beginning there was nothing...then Chuck Norris Roundhouse kicked that nothing in the face and said "Get a job". That is the story of the universe.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Apr 2012, 8:21 AM
  2. Replies: 95
    Last post: 09 May 2010, 2:41 PM
  3. What little OCD things do you do...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 26 Feb 2008, 12:40 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 8:41 AM