Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Salary for planners in Canada

Registered
    Aug 2007

Salary for planners in Canada

Hi. I'm Canadian however I trained in Australia and now practice here. If I ever move home, what kind of salaries are there? If I was say a graduate planner with three years experience?

Thanks,

Shannon in Tasmania

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ha!

About the same as in the US, now that the Dollar's are nearly worth the same.......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2007

Okay I'll bite...

Since I have no idea what planners make in the US (I'm in Australia)... what do they make in the states?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    It is really regional and depends on public vs private sector. Plus the cost of living varies greatly. I'll comment only on the public sector

As an example, in the maritimes you'll probably be able to get a job that pays in the mid 40's low 50's, but housing prices are significantly less than in teh GTA or ALTA.

Wages vary wildly in Ontario, from low 40's to low 60's. With the range varying depending on where you live.

You may want to check out the CIP website for job listings then follow them backwards to see what the pay level is.

As for wages being similar to the US, mostly true, but even with our strong dollar things are more expensive here.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Boudicea View post
    Since I have no idea what planners make in the US (I'm in Australia)... what do they make in the states?
    Best thing to do is go to the job listings on www.plannning.org and check some of those to get an idea of what the pay rates are.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    I'm a temp at the moment, cash-in-lieu, and I make about 37K a year; not bad for a person just out of university with his BA. Then again, Im at the lowest position in the muncipal department and not having my skills utlized that much. Ah, I can't seem to type properly this early in the morning, but you get my point.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 26
    Last post: 17 Aug 2012, 2:53 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Feb 2011, 4:14 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Sep 2009, 4:33 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Dec 2008, 5:46 PM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last post: 21 Jan 2003, 4:53 PM