Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: An active adult "lifespan community" on Maui?

An active adult "lifespan community" on Maui?

Aloha,

We're visualizing an innovative "Lifespan Community" for active adults in Kula, Maui, Hawaii.

We're seeking planning ideas from anyone who has experience with planning/designing/building active adult communities and accessible homes.

Descriptors like: universal design, inclusive design, "design-for-all", aging-in-place, elder co-housing,
    "Green Houses", continium of care are relevant.

Thank you,

Peter Durkson

Moderator note:
    We appreciate your joining Cyburbia to ask your question about lifespan community planning issues. However, Cyburbia is a forum designed to foster two-way discussion, and we ask that you abide by that forum rule. This thread has been edited to meet this requirement.
    Thanks! ~Gedunker.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 17 Sep 2007 at 2:22 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I've designed over 1000 actice adult lots, spanning around 8 projects.

My rate is $110/hr., my designers are $80/hr, and my CAD operators are $65.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    From my perspective, one important thing is to provide a continuum of meeting places, from private to public, and formal to informal. There is also a fine line between designing a living community versus a resort community or an institutional community.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 2007

Creating an Elder Cohousing Community on Hawaii

Hello Peter!

I would be very interested in talking with you about creating an elder cohousing community on one or more of the Hawaii Islands. In the 17 years I have been assisting groups to create cohousing communities, more than a few people from Hawaii have expressed an interest. The largest challenge has been the limited land ownership options in your state. Placing a community on a Land Trust might be one way around that challenge.

I look forward to further discussions on this topic.

Sincerely,

Zev Paiss
    Abraham Paiss and Associates
    Elder Cohousing Network
    Boulder, Colorado

Peter Durkson

Aloha,

Thank you for you interest.

Yes..a community land trust has just started up here on Maui which might be a possible participant.
    Recent County legislation requires developers to build a mix of affordable AND market price homes within any new developments. Working with our new local charitable land trust to meet the affordable homes requirement might also include an elder co-housing component. I'll contact the Trust and explore this with them. Have you already done such projects?

Peter Durkson
    808-250-2216
    duroy@earthlink.net

Registered
    Oct 2007
    I'm an architect practicing in Hawaii for over 17 years designing housing on all the islands. My interests are appropriate design and planning for Hawaii.

I'd be interested in talking with you about your project.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 May 2011, 2:02 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 18 Feb 2011, 3:23 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last post: 26 Apr 2006, 7:19 PM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last post: 13 Feb 2006, 11:32 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last post: 08 Feb 2005, 6:55 AM