Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Graduate programs/profiles/ranking etc

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007

Graduate programs/profiles/ranking etc

Hey all,

As someone who is planning on applying to grad schools in the near future, one thing I have noticed is a lack of rankings and student profiles (such as are available for law/med/business schools for example). Do these exist anywhere? I was a decent student... graduated from a well regarded school with a 3.4 GPA and have a strong work history, including work with a planning agency... but am unsure if that puts me at the top/middle/bottom of the pack. This isn't meant to be in any way competitive, it would just be nice to know where I stand, especially if I decide to ask for financial aid.

p.s. I really like the looks of UIC (partially because of my love of chicago, and partially because of the program itself)... good choice?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Is UIC a good choice? Maybe. What are you interested in studying? Graduate school is different from undergrad in that way. An undergrad program is general, whereas a graduate program should provide you learning specific to the topic(s) in which you want to become specialized. Rankings, then, may be meaningless. Why go to a top-ranked school that happens to emphasize environmental planning if you want to go into a field like economic development or transportation planning? Your best bet is to look at the research topics of the faculty. When you find a program similarly aligned to your own interests, you have found your graduate school.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    a very good point, thanks. Should add that I do not care about the rankings so much as it would simply be helpful to see how each school compares academically... if that distinction makes any sense.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    http://www.acsp.org/Guide/ACSP_13th_Edition_Guide.pdf

This book won't give you ALL the answers, but will at least give you a base to start. I would also set up informational interviews with firms and communities that are doing what you would like to do after you finish school. They might be able to give you insight into which programs to apply to, which to avoid, and what to expect after you graduate.

You should also use your own experience to see if the program matches up to your expectations. I was disappointed that my undergrad degree did not have enough coursework in site design or CAD projects (picked up alot of this on the job). I am planning on going back to school for an MLA with a possible second planning degree, so I will be looking for schools that have a stronger empahsis in these areas.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    that looks great thanks

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    I noticed CU Denver was not in the book, nor is it in Plantizen rankings. Does the school just not want to publish its statistics out in the open?

From what I hear it is a good school, and I just wish there was more of this kind of stuff about the school

Nevermind, sometimes it takes another look...
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 21 Sep 2007 at 3:08 PM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Aug 2007
    It would help if they were listed in the table of contents.

Registered
    Sep 2007

Planetizen

Have any of you guys seen the Planetizen rankings? They're quite comprehensive and rather good - imperfect but I'd say a deal more reliable than US News or THES.

Their top ten:

1) MIT
    2) UC Berkeley
    3) UNC Chapel Hill
    4) Harvard
    5) UPenn
    6) UCLA
    7) Cornell
    8) Rutgers (New Brunswick)
    9) University of Southern California
    10) University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
    I remember reading it over once and saw that some schools are better for some things than others. If I recall, I remember Virginia Tech being ranked rather highly in Transportation Planning and Berkeley, UPenn, and Michigan taking it away on Urban Design. Check it out.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 31 Mar 2008 at 2:10 PM. Reason: plannetizen links removed

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Is there a way to print the ACPS guide? Does anyone know? I'd like to use it to narrow my choices as I move closer to graduation.

Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    In my opinion, the Planetizen rankings are near worthless for choosing a grad school. Maybe they're good for MPO hiring managers.

The thing I would like to see is something very simple: A listing of 'strengths' of various graduate programs; or a simple one to two paragraph description of the various aspects/options in the program.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Graduate certificate programs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 May 2007, 6:46 PM
  2. Best Graduate Programs?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 24 Mar 2006, 12:38 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Mar 1998, 8:12 PM