Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Title change; less pay

Registered
    Aug 2005

Title change; less pay

i am currently a Planner. would it negatively affect my career to accept a job as a Senior Planner in a different state with a much lower cost of living and therefore a salary about $20,000 less than what I'm currently making?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What you gain by this move ?
    What would you lose other than pay ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    What you gain by this move ?
    What would you lose other than pay ?
    gain:
    proximity to boyfriend
    low cost of living
    greater chance of owning a home
    new title
    quality of my type of life
    opportunity to do more community development (which i have greater interest in)

lose:
    friends/co-workers
    opportunities to gain experience in all aspects of planning
    immature boss
    union position
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    If pay go down and standard of living goes up, and job responsibilities go up, then you are really doing better.

Realize this is coming from a person whose pay has increased at each successive job, yet the job title has decreased my worth.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Find out the pay/berks are for other planners/senior planners in that area of the country (just so you on the same playing field). If they are all on the same page, I would say go for it.

If you are really interested in community development, you can always gain more experience in other planning fields later on.

Can your boyfriend move closer to you?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

being happy is important...

from what you have told me in and out of the threads, I say go for it - you have one year in your first job, it's not a resume stain and I think you will be happier.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    from what you have told me in and out of the threads, I say go for it - you have one year in your first job, it's not a resume stain and I think you will be happier.
    thanks, that means a lot!! you know i value your opinion.

Quote Originally posted by nrschmid
    Find out the pay/berks are for other planners/senior planners in that area of the country (just so you on the same playing field). If they are all on the same page, I would say go for it.

If you are really interested in community development, you can always gain more experience in other planning fields later on.

Can your boyfriend move closer to you?
    the job is for a city in NYS so the benefits are pretty standard - 12 paid holidays; 5 personal days; 13 vacation days; 12 sick days

NYS retirement system - 3% employee contribution for 10 yr then NYS pays 100%.

i think BF would move closer if he could, however given his profession there are a limited amount of jobs he's eligible for or wants. BF is a professor at a college about 45 mins away from the job offer. he has agreed to moving to the new city next fall. which i understand, he just started the new job so he wants time to get acclimated etc. plus as a prof there's a chance that 3 months out of the year he won't have to go to work every day so to be selfish i say it makes more sense for him to do the commute.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Sounds like a good move, dandy - go for it!

And you can join us upstateNYers...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Go for it...most jobs will take you back anyway if you tell them you made a mistake. And if they like you.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Another thing to consider..

What is your backup plan if you don't pass your probation period? (may very from 3-12 months, depending on the job).

Registered
    Feb 2007
    How do you not pass the probation period? Isn't that what your employers background checks and reference ensure?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sounds like a a deal to me. I'd go for it. Money is less important than quality of life and personal relationships.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I just did a similiar thing. I moved to back to an area I am from, where I could buy a home, live in the same state as the wife and I can start a family. I took a pay cut (not as drastic as yours) but I moved up in responsibility. The down side is I have a long commute.

One month in it has been worth it. Relationship is better, work situation is better, financial situtation is getting better.

So for what its worth, I would say do it.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    How do you not pass the probation period? Isn't that what your employers background checks and reference ensure?
    Your background checks and refences are proof that you are not lying on your resume about your past experience. However, the probation period is the time when you are working for the new employer and you are proving that (1) can do the job and are (2) that perfict fit which you established in your interivew. A probation period can vary from 1-12 months, and might be even longer for an executive position. Some jobs have official probabtion periods written into the job description or employee manual (I applied for a few jobs like this in the public sector). Other employees have an unofficial rule about this, and I know a few planners who worked for several months, didn't pass the probation, and were let go. I think this is also more common for highly technical positions such as drafting, GIS, GPS, etc. The only time I was fired was when I was a draftsman at a gasline engineering company for not overcoming the unofficial 2-week learning curve for CAD (which is too high of a curve).

Registered
    Aug 2005
    eeep. i accepted the position.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    hey, wow - that's so great! congratulations!

PM/email me details when you time

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Yay! We're going to be neighbors, sort of. It's in the southern tier, right? Let us know the details when you can.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post

Congratulations and best of luck!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post

Congratulations!! It sounds like this move will be good for you, based on what you wrote earlier. Keep us posted!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    thanks everyone! i have a start the 2nd to last week of Oct. this gives me time to finish up some things here, go on a much needed vacation, and move!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Congratulation!

If you want any insight into a city in Upstate or CNY, PM me. If I know nothing, I know someone who does.

DLK
    "There are people in every time and every land who want to stop history in its tracks. They fear the future, mistrust the present and invoke the security of a comfortable past which, in fact, never existed." RFK

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 Feb 2012, 12:53 AM
  2. Salvage Title
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 13 Nov 2007, 5:55 PM
  3. What is your title?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 60
    Last post: 13 Oct 2006, 4:30 PM