Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Getting in touch with alumni

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007

Getting in touch with alumni

Hi all,

This may be a somewhat silly question, and for that I apologize. Many people have recommended contacting alumni when researching grad schools. How does one go about this? Asking the admissions department for names? Do they not give out the names of biased alumni? What other info should I ask? Thinking off the top of my head, percentage working in the field (whatever "in the field" means in planning; what percentage get internships, and where? Please let me know if the admissions department is where I would turn for this, and if you have other informative questions you might reccomend asking.

Thanks!

bw

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I know that there are schools and programs that keep a list of graduates who are generally willing to give some information regarding their experience so I would recommend checking with the department.

Of course, as you suggested, the school may only be willing to give out the information for those former students who have nothing but good things to say about their time there. You may want to look and see if the universities that you are considering have a student organization that might be able to provide you with a couple of contacts as well.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Yea student organizations are a good start. And you should contact the department, not the main Admissions. Also, most websites have a student profiles section, and you could contact the school and ask to speak to one of them. They usually will pass your information on to the student, so the student can contact you.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Touch screens as signs
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 26 Aug 2011, 7:54 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 12:49 PM
  3. Please Don't Touch Me, Sir
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 7:17 AM