Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Plan submittal standards (or not)?

Registered
    Jan 2005

Plan submittal standards (or not)?

I had always assumed that plan sets should be submitted on 24X36" sheets folded down (accordian style) to 9"X12". This had always seemed to me to be the industry standard, the unspoken submittal pact between consultants and municipal planners. On some occasions I'd review reductions at 11X17", but this would only be approved at the discretion of the Director for certain projects.

So it came as a shock to me to witness- in my new position (another municipality)- plans being submitted in all sorts of sizes and folds. One applicant has even submitted rolled sets of site plans. After I explained to him there was N.W.I.H. I was going to fold those down to distribute to our Planning Board he gave me this incredulous look when I told him how to resubmit the proper way. I told him it was the proper way because the sets need to be collated into a packet (easier to distribute, easier to view, etc.)

Now its time for me to put my foot down on this circus act. But before I do, please tell me that my notion of the proper plan submittal is indeed the industry norm. Or is there really no norm at all? I'd be particularly interested in what private sector consultants have to say about this since they have to deal with various submittal requirements.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I would say no standard locally at least, we'll meet whatever the City asks for, if they have their standard (some cities get cursed more than others). Folded "Dallas style" (I think the same as yours, lower right corner on top?) if only a few big sheets, rolled if larger numbers. TxDOT takes everything on 11x17, with folded ends if mixed with 8x11 in a report.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    If your submittal requirements specify the plans shall be folded to a specific size, make the applicant fold them. We do.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Are you guys talking a set of a couple sheets, or more like 30+? We do mostly big stuff and 30+ sheets is common, and I have some huge "logs" lying around. I could not imagine folding a big set, much less trying to flip through it quickly to find a specific sheet, or moving down sequential sheets smoothly to follow a road, etc.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    most communities i work with expect plan sets to be folded and collated when submitted. it helps to state on the application form that they must be folded to 8.5 x 11" because you can point right to that when you explain to the applicant that you won't take the submittal until they take care of that little detail. and the muni can specify the scale and/or sheet size - it helps to have written guidelines for submittal, but even if you don't, i haven't gotten much argument from applicants when i explain that i can't review plans if they are too small to read.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    In my office, we require everything to be 11 x 17- its just so much easier to deal with than these massive sheets. People can turn in the larger format as well, but not instead of the 11 x 17. On the really big projects, though, the 11 x 17 is just too small. Be flexible
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Be careful what you wish for.

I did a 175 sheet planset at 20 scale once, along with a 1000 page SWM Report.

The town requires 30 sets of everything, because board members really love reading SWM reports.

We asked if we could:

1. Reduce the scale - NO
    2. Use 30 x42 sheets to reduce paper - NO
    3. Roll them, since they were you know, 175 sheets - NO
    4. Not send SWM Reports to the everyone, just the Twp Engineer, and 1 for the public to review - NO.

OK....be asses then.

After "folding" the planset into basically blobs, we shrink wrapped them in heavy plastic, loaded them on pallets, forkifted them into the Uhaul truck, then delivered them to the town. Filled their entire lobby, and the poor secretary had to deal with this mess.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    If your submittal requirements specify the plans shall be folded to a specific size, make the applicant fold them. We do.
    We do the same (about the only thing we're "tough" on). There have been many occasions where I have stood there and had the applicant fold them before I check in the plans.
    HOWEVER, if the plansets are over 25 pages, we allow them to be rolled.

Usually we require 20 sets of 24x36, with 1 reduced copy of the sets. The reduced copies go into a Planning Commission packet.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    No requirements on folding or rolling. We don't bring paper copies to the Planning Board, we use digital submissions that pop up on their computer screens.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    No requirements on folding or rolling. We don't bring paper copies to the Planning Board, we use digital submissions that pop up on their computer screens.
    Truly a sustainable solution

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    Be careful what you wish for.

I did a 175 sheet planset at 20 scale once, along with a 1000 page SWM Report.

The town requires 30 sets of everything, because board members really love reading SWM reports.

We asked if we could:

1. Reduce the scale - NO
    2. Use 30 x42 sheets to reduce paper - NO
    3. Roll them, since they were you know, 175 sheets - NO
    4. Not send SWM Reports to the everyone, just the Twp Engineer, and 1 for the public to review - NO.

OK....be asses then.

After "folding" the planset into basically blobs, we shrink wrapped them in heavy plastic, loaded them on pallets, forkifted them into the Uhaul truck, then delivered them to the town. Filled their entire lobby, and the poor secretary had to deal with this mess.
    That has to be about the worst requirement I have ever heard. I wonder how many people on the plan commission could actually read the report and plans.

We generally accept plans at a scale that makes it possible to read the content. Tabloid (11x17) is preferred, though. Sometimes we will get a couple larger plan sets for staff review, while the plan commission gets the smaller, more manageable sets. Have you ever seen severn people gatherred around a table, each trying to unfold 30x40 sheets of paper? It just isn't practical.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Jul 2012, 11:05 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Jan 2007, 9:21 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Feb 2006, 9:13 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Jul 2001, 9:00 PM
  5. Replies: 1