Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone applying to UIC? Any UIC alumni?

Registered
    Sep 2007

Anyone applying to UIC? Any UIC alumni?

I'm curious if anyone is applying to UIC. Does anyone know if UIC will limit me outside the midwes? I am possibly interested in working in the D.C. area but can't move to the east just yet.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by planit1 View post
    I'm curious if anyone is applying to UIC. Does anyone know if UIC will limit me outside the midwes? I am possibly interested in working in the D.C. area but can't move to the east just yet.
    I'm currently a MUPP student at UIC. I've only been here a month but in regards to your question I'd say that no, UIC would not limit you to the midwest, but at the same time the curriculum (from what I've seen) tends to be Chicagocentric. Thats not saying the knowledge you learn here is not applicable to other locales. Personally I'd say it would be best to attend school where you would be interested in working, but of course thats not always possible.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    I'm currently a MUPP student at UIC. I've only been here a month but in regards to your question I'd say that no, UIC would not limit you to the midwest, but at the same time the curriculum (from what I've seen) tends to be Chicagocentric. Thats not saying the knowledge you learn here is not applicable to other locales. Personally I'd say it would be best to attend school where you would be interested in working, but of course thats not always possible.
    Thanks jsk1983. What specialty are you in? I'm interested in the physical planning specialty. Do you think it is strong there? I would like to start with a private planning firm when I finish. Do you know how successful people are at getting interships or jobs in private planning firms? I am limited to Chicago (which is a good place to be limited to I think), so no matter what, I will just have to milk everything out of the program I can.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    UIUC alum here. UIC is very well known for planning and public policy, especially if you want to couple it with an MPA. If you want to stay in the Chicago area and focus on site design (physical planning), I think you could have better luck enrolling in architecture school at UIC or IIT, but I "think" there is still more of a emphasis on individual building design not site design (been a number of years since I visited these schools for architecture).

Despite it's size, there are no other accredited planning or architecture programs in Chicagoland, and the only accredited landscape architecture program is located downstate at UIUC (150 miles southwest of Chicago).

Doesn't mean you can't do great at UIC and get into a good firm You can pick up a lot of design on the job.

Hope this helps-
    Last edited by nrschmid; 25 Sep 2007 at 9:43 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by planit1 View post
    Thanks jsk1983. What specialty are you in? I'm interested in the physical planning specialty. Do you think it is strong there? I would like to start with a private planning firm when I finish. Do you know how successful people are at getting interships or jobs in private planning firms? I am limited to Chicago (which is a good place to be limited to I think), so no matter what, I will just have to milk everything out of the program I can.
    I meant to respond earlier but felt I didn't have enough to go on having been here only a month. Anyways I have heard that it was ranked 13th for planning somewhere, not sure where, but I do know it ranks relatively highly as far as grad school planning programs go. I don't imagine that you would have difficulty finding an internship in a private firm, although from what I've heard most people seem to have internships in the public sector. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer them.

I'm in physical planning by the way.

Registered
    Apr 2007
    I'm looking at the previous ACSP Guide and the new one for UIC:

Out of State Tuition 2005/06: $22,624 / semester
    Out of State Tuition 2007/08: $9,556 / semester

What's going on??? not that I'm complaining...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by adamwipp View post
    I'm looking at the previous ACSP Guide and the new one for UIC:

Out of State Tuition 2005/06: $22,624 / semester
    Out of State Tuition 2007/08: $9,556 / semester

What's going on??? not that I'm complaining...
    I can not believe tution was ever $22 K a semester even for out of state. Are you sure you read that right? Either that or a mistake was made.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I wouldn't be surprised... the University of Minnesota was more than double for out-of-state as well. Hooray for the liberal reciprocity program!
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    One more semester to go for me at MUPP! Finally! Surprisingly, I have found that I am one of the few Chicagoans in the program. Maybe it's just my particular group of classmates, but there are only maybe less than 20 people from Chicagoland...everyone else is from out of state.

Registered
    Nov 2007
    Hi,
    I will be starting at UIC this Spring semester.
    After doing a little research and bugging a few of the administrators, I was able to receive a graduate assistantship working in the Urban Design Visualization Lab. I was given a quick tour and was introduced to a few people around the department.

My initial reaction was how open and welcoming everyone was. I transferred from a MFA program where it seems there was a serious deficiency in interpersonal skills among the staff and administrators. Ohh, those artists....

Anyhow, I definitely got a good feeling from the program and the people at UIC. I'm pretty excited to starting up in the spring. Plus, a tuition waiver and assistantship money isn't bad either.

Registered
    Apr 2007

random questions about UIC

Kaleb or anyone at UIC...

How have you liked it in the last few months? What are your thoughts on getting an assistantship your first semester?

Who is going next Fall? I've noticed UIC is asking for decisions by Apr 1...weeks before some other campus visits!

Sorry this is random and jumbled...I know.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007

Decisions, Decisions

I just received word of my acceptance on Friday via email. Though they included a financial aid package, I haven't heard about funding from any of my other schools yet so making a decision by April 1 is going to be hard.

As I was looking at the classes offered, I realized a lot are once-a-week at night. Do most people have a full-time job & go to school nights?

I'm trying to get a feel for the students because I don't know if I can make it to Chicago before the decision date.

Registered
    Dec 2007

Anyone applying to UIC? Any UIC alumni?

Tasha: Did you apply to the Planning program or Architecture? I applied to the Architecture program and havent heard back yet. The application deadline is not until March 15, so I guess I shouldnt expect to hear before that.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by jtouz View post
    Tasha: Did you apply to the Planning program or Architecture? I applied to the Architecture program and havent heard back yet. The application deadline is not until March 15, so I guess I shouldnt expect to hear before that.
    the Planning program - definitely don't worry because the app deadline for planning was Jan 1
    Last edited by Tasha; 10 Mar 2008 at 2:00 PM. Reason: hit post too soon...oops

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Tasha: Thanks! I feel a little better. Congtatulations on your acceptance!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    Off to UIC I go... got into a few of the major schools back east but I moved from Boston to Chicago last may, and want to stick around here for the forseeable future. Went to an open house a while back and really enjoyed the people I met and the general atmosphere surrounding the program... needless to say I am very excited for next fall.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Famous alumni from your alma mater
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 19 Nov 2012, 5:10 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Nov 2008, 2:40 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Oct 2007, 1:48 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Aug 2006, 6:01 PM