Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: On-street parking in your community

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

On-street parking in your community

Here is one that am running into now. Apparently a person can not park their vehicle on the street for more than 48 hours. This is regardless if it is operable or not. On the other hand, I know of people in many other communities who donít drive their cars much. They donít have off street parking so they will park them for a week at a time.

How is your cities parking ordinance set up? Does it allow you to park longer than 48 hours? Who regulates this?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Where I live:
    We have had an overnight paring ban in the village since the 1920s. No one is allowed to parking on the public streets overnight, except within the relatively few permitted on-street parkin areas, which generally are in the denser multi-family areas.

Where I work:
    A complete overnight parking ban on-street.

I long for my time in Ann Arbor, MI. No restrictions regarding on-street parking and people (students really) would leave their cars on-street for weeks at a time. You really only had to worry when there was a significant snowfall.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    This is absolutely absurd.
    Where do you put your car if you go on vacation?

lets encourage automobile use, huh?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    If your streets are wide enough to safely accommodate it, why wouldn't you allow on street parking? The municipality I live in basically says that if you can move it, you can park it. Commercial vehicles excluded of course.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    where i live, the city has an ordinance where you must move your vehicle from the public right-of-way every month. They monitor this every month and sure enough they tag cars that "appear" to not have moved in that months time, usually that are
    a) heavily damaged (i.e. collision damage, windows cracked,etc)
    b) have cob webs, or very dirty
    c) have been called in by residents because they feel the car is a public nuisance.

The City does however, give the owner 72 hours to move their vehicle to a private driveway before the tow the vehicle.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    As long as the vehicle has current registration and inspection, I see no problem with this.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I agree...the on-street bans I mentioned are excessive. But it doesn't impact people too much, because most people have off-street parking available.

Oh...and we hear the gripes from both sides....."It looks like a parking lot/attackers can hide between cars/they're parking in front of my house.......or.......I drive I must have parking/I have to walk 2 blocks/my legs fell off.......
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Many neighborhoods in SF have neighborhood permits that allow you to park on the street for days at a time, otherwise you can only park for two hours at a time 9am-6pm. Some of the lower density neighborhoods don't require permits and don't have daily time limits. However, every street has a street cleaning day (or two or three) where no cars can be parked on one side of the street for 1-4 hours. I know many people who only move their car once a week - on street cleaning day.

Places that don't allow on-street parking blow my mind, man.

Here in my part of Boston, there is a mix of resident and open parking. And there is a system of street cleaning as well. It takes a bit of mental gymnastics to remember where and when cleaning is happening; if you don't move your car, for cleaning it gets towed.

A lot of the cleaning, but not all, stops for winter. But then you have snow emergencies where everything has to be moved.

We are like SF, if it weren't for street cleaning, a lot of cars wouldn't ever get moved (the spaces are much too precious).

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I used to live in Brooklyn and - during periods of car ownership - parked on the street. Sometimes for days at a stretch, with relocations dictated of course by street cleaning regs. Now I live in a small town in PA, and there is overnight parking on the street out front of our house and I'm glad for it because of its traffic-calming effect. Though personally I park the car in our garage, which is located in back, on an alley.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In my dense urban nieghborhood, you can park 24 hours with a permit, then it must be moved. I have a garage so i don't care.

The 48 hour rule applies here in Sandusky

We have the 48 hour rule on-street and in public lots. 72 hours on private property. This is enforced by our PD on a complaint basis ONLY. Therefore, only vengeful neighbors ever call and it is not a huge problem, but it is widely violated yet unenforced. The intent of this ordinance is to keep people from parking junk/inoperable cars on-street and to allow for street sweeping/snow plowing.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    In Baltimore, the law still states that a vehicle can be parked on-street without moving for up to 48 hours (City Council tried to get that repealed last year). However, I think that Parking Enforcement uses the stateís guidelines for determining whether a vehicle is actually abandoned (i.e. registration is out of date; flat tires; etc.) before ticketing a vehicle as abandoned and having it towed.

When I go on vacation, I actually have my car "babysat". Someone moves it for me to avoid a ticket.

I have gotten a ticket though while home because I forget to move my car when I bike to work.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I live in a small city with ample parking except for near a small/midsized university. Nevertheless, we have a 20 hour parking rule. Realistically, it is enforced by complaint only (so after a complaint, it is ANOTHER 20 hours before being tagged). I don't think it is enforced except for in unusal circumstances. Most of the year, you can park at will.

However, we have alternate side parking from Nov 1 to Mar 15 that is constantly enforced, regardless of weather.
    Fighting congestion by widening roads is like fighting obesity by buying larger clothes.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 1:51 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 20 Sep 2012, 9:01 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Nov 2010, 1:55 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Sep 2005, 1:05 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last post: 12 May 2005, 2:16 PM