Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning-related Dreams

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries

Planning-related Dreams

So, last night, I had this dream. There's this two-lane east-west street that goes through the heart of my college. Well, I had this dream that it was turned into a 6-lane highway with dual lefts and all. In my dream, as I was walking along the freshly-widened street, I was like WTF?, when did this happen?

Which brings me to the question, do you often have dreams about the built environment or relating to planning? Do you have dreams relating to your office environment? Do you have dreams that a megamall is built next to your home? Do you often dream of urban enviroments, ones that are recognizable, or ones that aren't? Share your experiences or your quirkiest urban planning-related dream.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    One time, this pseudo-hot guy came in and applied for a conditional use permit. He kind of looked like a wild man, long hair in a ponytail. And he was one of those vaguely angry types. I don't know what it is, but I dream about him all the time....
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    You know those dreams you used to have when you were working at a minimum-wage grunt job, like endlessly stocking grocery shelves and not being able to stop, or endlessly delivering pizza and not being able to stop?

Well, during my very first job, I had a couple of dreams where I was endlessly sending out sign code violation notices, and wasn't able to stop.

I'll sometimes have dreams where I'm looking at a map of Buffalo, but the street pattern seems off; critical streets are missing, some new parkways and expressways cross the city, the development pattern in the 'burbs is oddly different with things such as miles of empty , never-developed land in Tonawanda and satellite cities where none were ever developed, and so on.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Funny. I had a planning dream last night. I was dealing with one of the local fire chiefs, who was being an a-hole. Actually, it was a continuation of what happened that day. Still, didn't end up the way I was hoping.

I am thinking about putting that hour on my time sheet. I need the comp time.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I sometimes have railroad dreams. Last year, I dreamed of being in a photo-shoot where there was a bas-relief of cityscape on the wall behind me and more cityscape growing out of my shoulder so that when I sat in front of it, the two together were something better than either alone.

Since I don't have a job in planning yet, I don't have too many dreams like that.

Registered
    May 2002
    If you believe in dream interpretation (and I don't, but so many around me do that I know what they're talking about), I might have had a bad premonition about a rail project that I'm indirectly involved with.

In the first part of the dream, I was making a sandwich and I wanted ketchup, but I couldn't find any. In the second part, I realized that I was making a sandwich while watching an old-style steam locomotive go by.

What does that mean? No ketchup train = Can't catch the train
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    If you believe in dream interpretation (and I don't, but so many around me do that I know what they're talking about), I might have had a bad premonition about a rail project that I'm indirectly involved with.

In the first part of the dream, I was making a sandwich and I wanted ketchup, but I couldn't find any. In the second part, I realized that I was making a sandwich while watching an old-style steam locomotive go by.

What does that mean? No ketchup train = Can't catch the train
    Could mean that you can't train an old planner to make a new sandwich.

Now if the train was going into a tunnel...altogether different interpretation.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

You know the dreams you had when you were a kid that you could not get to your class on time, or even worst, you ended up in the wrong classroom. Well, now I dream I'm late for board meetings, or I end up in the wrong hearing room, or I lost my presentation material! I gotta find a release.

I have dreamed full buildings down to the last detail.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My most common one is seeing different cities from one vantage point. Often they won't make any sense like Boston and Moscow.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Open_Spaces View post
    I gotta find a release.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2002

Missed deadline

I dreamt that I was working in an office, and a colleague asked if I could help him finish up a grant application, because he had to leave. "No problem," I said. All I had to do was make copies of the completed application, put it in binders, and ship it via FedEx.

After my colleague left, though, I had difficulties with the copy machine, I couldn't find any 1-inch binders, and time passed quickly. In the next scene, my boss (in real life, a former boss) showed up, and I told him about the problems I was having. He helped me fix the copier and locate the binders, and started making covers for the application. I thought we had plenty of time.

The next thing I knew, it was 2:50 pm. "What's the FedEx deadline?" I asked my boss. "Three o'clock." he said. It was a Saturday! I panicked. There was no way we were going to meet the deadline! I double-checked the application instructions, but it was clear: applications had to be received by Monday morning. In California. (We were on the east coast.)

Then I realized my boss was going to be the one to break the news to our client...

Registered
    Jul 2007
    My BF says I talk in my sleep all the time about planning. The other night I was ranting in my sleep about pine trees in downtown. Seems like I need hobby or less stress here.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What I hate most are the public meeting dreams. You know the ones where things go wrong and you keep repeating them in a hopeless quest to get it right.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I was talking to a Planning Board member in my driveway. We noticed an airplane up in the sky. It turned out to be a paper airplane that zapped him with lightning and he fell over dead.

I also had a horrible public meeting dream recently where I didn't bring any of the crucial information in front of a big crowd of people.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 40
    Last post: 26 Feb 2014, 10:28 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 2:06 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 24 Jul 2009, 12:15 PM
  4. Replies: 37
    Last post: 06 Jan 2006, 9:34 AM
  5. Suburban Design/Planning dreams.
    Design, Space, and Place