Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What does a development proposal look like?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006

What does a development proposal look like?

Hi all,
    I have to write a "mock" development proposal for one of my planning classes. I know what a Staff Report looks like but I have no clue what a development proposal looks like. Can anyone provide a basic outline of one?

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Hm, where do you go? I'm a little concerned that they're throwing you out there without at least providing some kind of rough rubric for you and your classmates to follow.

I don't know much about urban development proposals, but generally proposal writing isn't much of a science; it's more of a sequentialized, intuitive activity that is shaped by the content of the proposal itself.

What is it you're trying to propose, exactly? And don't just say a 'development.'

In general, proposals are broken up into sections like introduction/rationale, target group/community served, methodologies (main body) and program specifics, and a conclusion. But it really depends.

Good luck.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Look at some requests for proposals issued by communities for properties they want to (re)develop. They will pretty much indicate what they expect from a developer in terms of background, concepts, drawings, financials, development team qualifications, etc.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Is this development proposal a request for proposal or a development application?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    Hey, sorry for how long it took to reply.

I'm going to Arizona State. They kind of turned our introductory studio into a hardcore, much more advanced, studio that involves the city of Phoenix. When we're done doing what we're doing (figuring out the zoning, general plan, etc. for what's called the "Camelback Corridor"....where the light rail will go through...) it'll be sent to the seniors to do the rest and then sent to the city. I'm not kidding when I say that, our professors are actually relying on us to do this right.

The only rubric they gave out was a staff proposal, no development proposal. They told us to not to write it like a regular paper, they want it in a memo format or something else "creative". I just wrote it out like a memo.

We're proposing a residential mixed use building with retail/restaurants/parking/youth center/fitness center. The project says that we have all this money and can do whatever we want. We were told to exceed zoning regulations so we can request to rezone the area where the development would be. We present this to the class and they act like a council...then after a 4 or 5 minute presentation, our group's urban planners come in (we split up into developers and planners) and kind of critique it and put stipulations on it in accordance to actual zoning, etc. in the area.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 Oct 2013, 1:59 AM
  2. Hookah bar proposal
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 13 Aug 2009, 3:21 PM
  3. New APA CM proposal
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 07 Dec 2006, 2:15 PM