Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning for healthy winter communities

Registered
    Aug 2001

Planning for healthy winter communities

Winter could be just days away in Barrow, but at the end of September it was still snowing overnight and then melting the next day. Temps in 30s.

With the chilly days approaching and the sun going down for over two months, it can become a challenge to keep fit.

Not only are there less outdoor opportunities, but folks end to eat a lot indoors, and with Thanksgiving, Christmas and special family and community times, often built around food.

In my 60s, I still do a bit of cross country skiing, but try to ride my bike to work, unless the cold makes pumping the pedals really tough. Also walk the dogs a lot.
    And do sit-ups, etc in the house. A little outdoor running also helps.

Just going out for a walk on a dark,frigid Arctic evening and seeing the Northern Lights, well it doesn't get much better.

Best fitness wishes to all of you.
    Earl in Barrow, Alaska
    Earl the Farthest North Cub Fan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Winter is a-comin'? Here in Michigan fall is just arriving. The leaves are just starting to turn and we'll probably have our first frost warning (and end to the gardening season) in the next week or so.

Living in a tundra environment apparently has it's own special pains and joys. I can't even begin to fathom being cooped up inside for weeks at a time - I would go nuts. And I can see how having months-long night and sub-zero temps would put a serious crimp on wanting to go outside to run or engage in other exercise. I guess I have absolutley no advice to offer in the motivation department.

On the other hand, regular viewings of the northern lights sounds like decent compensation.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001

It's all in one's mind.

Great points,about not wanting to be cooped up in winter months. A lot of it is a mind-set. One can go from house to car to place of work, etc., and eat snacks and watch TV at home, but with a will there can be ways to get outdoors ----walk the dog or dogs, cross country ski, and just take a walk, even when Northern Lights are not out.
    We shall see, as another winter around the corner. Thanks again for comment.
    Earl

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hi Earl. I am sorta jealous and sorta not. I'm just closing down my trailer for the season, and we never saw the nothern lights this year. *sigh*

Registered
    Apr 2003
    The City of Marquette Michigan has been working with cities in Finland to accomplish a healthy winter city. They also have the Winter Cities Forums where they talk about having snow plowed on the paved bike trails (Bikes are huge in Marquette) and giving out maps of the snowshoeing /x-country trails within the county.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2001

winter planning and bikes

Way to go Michael. Right now it is around 5 am in Barrow and I am getting my bike out for a 2-mile run to KBRW.

Glad to hear Marquette is in to biking. Helps us keep young and fit. Hey Hey.
    Earl

Registered
    Aug 2001

Still healthy in Arctic Alaska

Hi everyone and happy new year 2008

Just got back from Anchorage for my annual physical.
    Generally all systems OK, but have had a bit of a drop in breathing capacity. need to get to Wrigley Field in Chicago this coming summer to yell loudly for the Cubs ---that will build up my nose and air passages.

Also found out about a new vaccination agains shingles for those of us 65 and over --Zostavax, just recently available, but expensive.

Avail as a shot in pharmacies. But when I got back to Barrow I discovered that apparently neither Medicare nor my backup Blue Cross would pay, because it is a "preventive" treatment, not a cure for actual disease.

Any of you health planners out there, what kind of system do we have where prevention is not encouraged, but money is available if you just go ahead and get sick with various diseases? Go figure.
    Have a great spring!
    Earl in Barrow

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Earl Finkler View post
    Hi everyone and happy new year 2008
    Happy new year back at you.

Also found out about a new vaccination agains shingles for those of us 65 and over --Zostavax, just recently available, but expensive.
    From the Twilight Zone (where I live): I'm not a fan of stuff like that. Shingles can be effectively treated with non-drug remedies like high dose vitamin A.
    Avail as a shot in pharmacies. But when I got back to Barrow I discovered that apparently neither Medicare nor my backup Blue Cross would pay, because it is a "preventive" treatment, not a cure for actual disease.

Any of you health planners out there, what kind of system do we have where prevention is not encouraged, but money is available if you just go ahead and get sick with various diseases? Go figure.
    Have a great spring!
    Earl in Barrow
    That's the norm. It's horrible. But I will spare you my ravings about how twisted our current health care system is. They usually don't go over all that well with most people.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I don't think many planners get involved with health services. That really is the role of Health Departments. Although I imagine a CDBG program could support and agency that provides shots for free.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 12 Sep 2011, 6:30 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 May 2011, 2:02 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 May 2009, 1:39 PM
  4. Replies: 7