Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Phone interview only? (Seeing before committing, also salary negotiation).

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Phone interview only? (Seeing before committing, also salary negotiation).

Last week, I conducted a phone interview with a county out of state and felt I did pretty well. They wanted me to be at the intereview, but they gave me little notice and wouldn't pay for travel.
    After the phone interview, I got a call that they want to check references, etc. Which leads me to believe that an offer may be imminent.

However, I do not feel comfortable accepting an offer when I haven't had the chance to seeing the operation and meet the people face-to-face. Is it out of line to ask to fly up there before acceptance?
    (of course, they mayoffer to meet me face-to-face after checking references but before offering, I haven't heard anything yet)
    What do you guys think?

Also, what can you offer about salary negotiation? Irf I have to move, then my wife will have to look for a job and we'd still have our house to sell. I want to ask for more than I make now, which would still be in the range they offer, but I have never had to do this before.

Thoughts?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I think that would give a positive impression, actually. You really want to investigate before you accept, completely natural.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    You will want to go and check things out. You can have all the statistical info, photos, and news from an area, but until you walk around you will not get a good feel for the place.

I wish that I had spent more time walking around and getting a feel for the place before I accepted my first job.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Last week, I conducted a phone interview with a county out of state and felt I did pretty well. They wanted me to be at the interview, but they gave me little notice and wouldn't pay for travel.
    After the phone interview, I got a call that they want to check references, etc. Which leads me to believe that an offer may be imminent.

However, I do not feel comfortable accepting an offer when I haven't had the chance to seeing the operation and meet the people face-to-face. Is it out of line to ask to fly up there before acceptance?
    (of course, they mayoffer to meet me face-to-face after checking references but before offering, I haven't heard anything yet)
    What do you guys think?

Also, what can you offer about salary negotiation? Irf I have to move, then my wife will have to look for a job and we'd still have our house to sell. I want to ask for more than I make now, which would still be in the range they offer, but I have never had to do this before.

Thoughts?
    I don't think it's out of line to ask to fly up there but be prepared for them to say their budget doesn't allow it. They will likely want to meet you, yes.

what I did for a long-distance hire was I am paying his expenses for the final interview and his move up upon successful completion of his 6 month probationary period. You may want to negotiate the same, as I think that is completely reasonable .

Always ask for a 9-12% raise on a job change, especially if you are moving for it - it's not worth it otherwise

good luck and let us know how it's going!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Go. Take a long weekend. See what you can see. If it looks good and you feel good about it, you have to feel it and see it. I assume you have done as much as possible on-line, real estate, your wife's job, newspaper articles about planning type stuff, the disposition of the last person in the position. If not, see what you can find. You never know.........

DLK
    "There are people in every time and every land who want to stop history in its tracks. They fear the future, mistrust the present and invoke the security of a comfortable past which, in fact, never existed." RFK

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Always ask for a 9-12% raise on a job change, especially if you are moving for it - it's not worth it otherwise
    My father always told me 20% or is not worth it. I start a new job tomorrow. He has never been wrong.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    My wife and I know the area pretty well and it has been a place in which we have wanted to relocate at some point. So there are no qualms what what the area is like.

I really want to see the office, the processes, meet the staff and get a first hand feel for what a potential new job would entail.

On this, my FIL says he hires people over the phone and acceptance is site-unseen for his office. He works for the Feds and I feel that one could accept a position over the phone for the Feds because the SOPs and Office practices may be more standardized than a city-county position. Therefore one has more of a notion of what they are getting into. But with a city/county position, things can differ so much (even within the same state) that it would behoove folks in our profession to check things out first.

Regardless, I have heard nothing (except that my references are being checked) and cannot comment until I recieve a call.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Resources for salary negotiation
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Sep 2009, 1:40 PM
  2. Salary negotiation: UPDATE
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 20 Aug 2007, 2:24 PM
  3. Salary negotiation