Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fashion faux pas thread

Registered
    Feb 2007

Fashion faux pas thread

Maybe this can start into a thread, and yes, i can hear the jokes coming already, especially since i am a guy, but hey i care about the way i look. From what i wear in the office, to appearances in meetings. So will start this off. Since when did it become appropriate for guys, especially in three piece suits to not where your pants above your waist? I know especially us younger guys have a habitat to wear our pants just above the "zone" but the waist, especially in a suit is just below your belly button. I know this sounds old school, but that's where it is at. Guys who "sag" or where their suits below the waist simply look like oompa lumpas, especially larger males. Guys any thoughts? What about the ladies? Things that get you steamed?
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Maybe this can start into a thread, and yes, i can hear the jokes coming already, especially since i am a guy, but hey i care about the way i look. From what i wear in the office, to appearances in meetings. So will start this off. Since when did it become appropriate for guys, especially in three piece suits to not where your pants above your waist? I know especially us younger guys have a habitat to wear our pants just above the "zone" but the waist, especially in a suit is just below your belly button. I know this sounds old school, but that's where it is at. Guys who "sag" or where their suits below the waist simply look like oompa lumpas, especially larger males. Guys any thoughts? What about the ladies? Things that get you steamed?
    I ALWAYS wear my suit pants just below the belly button.

At least people wear suits. In my Economic Development volunteer work, we have a student from the local college present downtown plans to us wearing shorts, sandals, and an untucked shirt.
    I cannot take him seriously. I mean, I know we are moving toward a more casual culture, but there has to be a certain level of professionalism.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Well, we did have a similar themed thread but that was over a year ago and doesn't sound like it's exactly the same thing - this sounds more along the lines of how one wears things that makes fashion tragedy.

I've always heard wearing sandals and socks at the same time is a fashion faux pas.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    we have a student from the local college present downtown plans to us wearing shorts, sandals, and an untucked shirt.
    Our company has a dress code that says you cannot wear shorts and sandals (males) to the office. And yes, i agree, I couldn't take him seriously either. Probably my first question would be when can him and i go out and toke...

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I don't like it when women tuck in their shirts. It looks good on hardly anyone.
    Furthermore, one of the fellas in my office has sky blue pants. It's just terrible.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    have you mentioned the sky blue pants? Did you tell him the 70's call, and they want they polyester back?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Brown suits. Men should not wear brown suits, IMHO.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Brown suits. Men should not wear brown suits, IMHO.
    Yeah, the brown suits invoke the 70s and not in a good way. Some other fashion faux pas I've noticed recently....

Half sleeve plaid shirts
    Long sleeve button down shirt with shorts and tevas
    Royal blue pants...on a man
    A bright purple dress with yellow tights
    Reddish brown shoes with a black suit
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I wear suit pants and dress pants at the natural waist. I am tall with a smaller waist, so that just means the pants are longer. My firm places a premium on appearance, especially for the men and they would really encourage us to wear a sportcoat and tie if they could away with it.

If I wear a suit, I usually wear the pants with suspenders (not clip-ons and no, they do not match the tie like Larry King). It might be tacky and dated, but I like them and they force you to have a better posture.

One of my principals over the weekend wore a brown windowpane suit to a wedding for one of the employees. I don't think brown is such a bad color if you can pull it off, no pun intended

Registered
    Aug 2001
    for women: capri pants or stirup pants.

for men: short sleeved dress shirts

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    I second that!

Also - collarless dress shirts.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    In my Economic Development volunteer work, we have a student from the local college present downtown plans to us wearing shorts, sandals, and an untucked shirt.
    I cannot take him seriously. I mean, I know we are moving toward a more casual culture, but there has to be a certain level of professionalism.
    Try living in a southern beach town. Guys wear flip-flops with suits.

Mrs. JM bought me one of these. I hate wearing it, but she says it looks fine. She is pretty stylish.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm fairly ambivalent about what people wear as long as the clothes are in good condition, clean, and FIT. I don't care to see people of either sex hanging out of their clothes.

Smokers, lighten up on the cologne and perfume. You think it smells good but you're wearing so much that it makes me sneeze and my eyes water. And, guys, if you slap that cologne on with your hands please wash them thoroughly. I hate to shake hands with someone and then have to smell your scent everytime my hand gets near my face.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Now wait a minute, WHY is that a fashion faux pas? Short sleeves are comfortable and very practical when you have to work outside in the middle of summer.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Now wait a minute, WHY is that a fashion faux pas? Short sleeves are comfortable and very practical when you have to work outside in the middle of summer.

Short sleeve is fine, but not cut or coloured like a dress shirt.

Repeat after me, sports socks are only for the gym. My old City Clerk wore them with suits.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    Short sleeve is fine, but not cut or coloured like a dress shirt.
    So this guy looks like a dork?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Our city manager loves the used car salesman look... short-sleeve dress shirt (often white) with a tie and pleated blue Dockers pants.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Yes, yes he does. Sorry, but short sleeves on a dress shirt just look wrong.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Try living in a southern beach town. Guys wear flip-flops with suits.
    I wont do that. But thanks for the input...

Short sleeve dress shirts, especially with ties, shall onlu be worn in NASA Mission Control. NOWHERE else.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I thought a faux pas was a mistake, like wearing a black belt and brown shoes or wearing a belt and suspenders.

While a short sleeve dress shirt is not very fashionable but it is not a faux pas.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    When did comfortable and practical ever have anything to do with fashion? Look at Bill Belicheck. He's comfortable and practical on the sidelines, but he's damn sure not fashionable.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    When did comfortable and practical ever have anything to do with fashion? Look at Bill Belicheck. He's comfortable and practical on the sidelines, but he's damn sure not fashionable.
    Et tu Brute?

No no no! Short sleeve dress shirts are FASHIONABLE I tell you! You're all wrong! See - all the latest scientific evidence clearly supports the notion that they're cool!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I thought a faux pas was a mistake, like wearing a black belt and brown shoes or wearing a belt and suspenders.

While a short sleeve dress shirt is not very fashionable but it is not a faux pas.
    Cajun humorist and PBS cook Justin Wilson wears a belt and suspenders. He explains it comes from his former profession - safety engineer. Always helps to have a backup.

As far as fashion faux pas, as an avid reader of Esquire, I am aware of my own shortcomings. I buy off the rack of the Goodwill. My sports coats do not show the half-inch or so of shirt cuff you are supposed to have (seems wrong to have your coat sleeve too short but it is fashion). I do, like Justin Wilson sometimes wear a belt with my suspenders. I rarely wear a tie. Throughout most of the summer I wear Hawaian shirt with the shirttail tucked into my pants.

But I do sport a pocket square in my jacket pocket (the casual alternative to a tie). I don't wear shorts to work or sandals. Women can pull that off and look good but guys look sloppy.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Sep 2007
    I'm with Maister; short sleeve dress shirts aren't a faux pas. They are de riguer in the South.
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Flip flops with anything other than beachwear PERIOD. I hate them!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 10 May 2011, 11:00 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last post: 13 Nov 2008, 12:56 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING Fashion Help Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 51
    Last post: 24 Sep 2008, 9:35 AM