Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fashion faux pas thread

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    No no no! Short sleeve dress shirts are FASHIONABLE I tell you! You're all wrong! See - all the latest scientific evidence clearly supports the notion that they're cool!
    How can we dispute scientific evidence? Hmmm....could Maister be right? Nahhhhhhh!
    Last edited by ofos; 12 Mar 2008 at 3:42 PM.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Cajun humorist and PBS cook Justin Wilson wears a belt and suspenders. He explains it comes from his former profession - safety engineer. Always helps to have a backup.

As far as fashion faux pas, as an avid reader of Esquire, I am aware of my own shortcomings. I buy off the rack of the Goodwill. My sports coats do not show the half-inch or so of shirt cuff you are supposed to have (seems wrong to have your coat sleeve too short but it is fashion). I do, like Justin Wilson sometimes wear a belt with my suspenders. I rarely wear a tie. Throughout most of the summer I wear Hawaian shirt with the shirttail tucked into my pants.

But I do sport a pocket square in my jacket pocket (the casual alternative to a tie). I don't wear shorts to work or sandals. Women can pull that off and look good but guys look sloppy.
    Photo of Justin Wilson:

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yeah that....or

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I thought a faux pas was a mistake, like wearing a black belt and brown shoes or wearing a belt and suspenders.

While a short sleeve dress shirt is not very fashionable but it is not a faux pas.
    Wearing any ASU garb could be considered a major faux pas....he he he....

Oh and RJ you just haven't seen my BROWN suit......it is awesome and I think.....yes......my favorite right now!! I get more complements on that Brown suit than any other in my arsenal of good taste
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    Flip flops with anything other than beachwear PERIOD. I hate them!
    I think it depends on the region. I find them perfectly acceptable here in California, and about the short sleeve dress shirt, i think it is acceptable, but once the tie comes on your transform yourself into a borderline Harry Kissenger, any Engineer, and NASA nerd
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Well, we did have a similar themed
    I've always heard wearing sandals and socks at the same time is a fashion faux pas.
    It was a little chilly and I had clean, ankle cut white socks on under tan sandals the other day. Leaving with my wife, she said, I am not going anywhere with you like that....

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

What are these "suits" that you speak of?
    As for CMs wearing short sleeve shirts, I thought that was the uniform of the day for engineers, --short sleeve shirts, dockers and if there is a tie involved it ends in the general area of the bottom of the shirt pocket which is full of pens. Naturally neither the shirt or trousers have ever been exposed to an iron

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    It was a little chilly and I had clean, ankle cut white socks on under tan sandals the other day. Leaving with my wife, she said, I am not going anywhere with you like that....
    Don't EVER leave home without approval from the fashionista!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Oh and RJ you just haven't seen my BROWN suit......it is awesome and I think.....yes......my favorite right now!! I get more complements on that Brown suit than any other in my arsenal of good taste
    Oh, I'm sure you look fabulous in your brown suit and contrasting bolo tie -- the official neckwear of Arizona.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bolo tie.jpg  
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    I don't like it when women tuck in their shirts. It looks good on hardly anyone.
    Furthermore, one of the fellas in my office has sky blue pants. It's just terrible.
    I used to really hate tucked in shirts on women, but if the pants are at the natural waist and the person is well-proportioned, it almost looks good. I think this is also a side effect of women wearing low rise men's pants that give them muffin-tops and then tucking in their shirts. It looks horrible, even on a good body. Ugh.

So this guy looks like a dork?
    He looks like a major tool. Unless you work at NASA, you are not allowed to wear a short sleeve dress shirt.
    Last edited by Maister; 03 Oct 2007 at 1:28 PM. Reason: sequential posts

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Ok, another one -

Ties worn with jeans.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    Ok, another one -

Ties worn with jeans.

I do that occasionally.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I do that occasionally.
    As long as its the bolo tie, I think its ok

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Oh, I'm sure you look fabulous in your brown suit and contrasting bolo tie -- the official neckwear of Arizona.
    That's only when we go somewhere fancy...like Wal Mart!!!

Can you wear a bolo tie with Seerucker? That way you can look ridiculous in both the Southwest and the South!!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Faux pas or just my own personal fashion pet peeve is pants that are too short. I canNOT stand it....even the nicest/most expensive suit in the world looks like $hit if the pants are hangin around at the wearer's ankles....hgughughguh I could deal with brown suit and odd ties all day, the short pants have GOT to go.

And I agree, women should not tuck thier shirts in, really no matter what....(all this comin from someone that wears flip flops at evey given chance....)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Oh No!

Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    I used to really hate tucked in shirts on women, but if the pants are at the natural waist and the person is well-proportioned, it almost looks good. I think this is also a side effect of women wearing low rise men's pants that give them muffin-tops and then tucking in their shirts. It looks horrible, even on a good body. Ugh.

He looks like a major tool. Unless you work at NASA, you are not allowed to wear a short sleeve dress shirt.
    OH SH$%!!! I'm in serious trouble now!! ALL I WEAR NOWDAYS are short sleeve dress shirts....... Mine are the kind with at least 4-6 pockets At least I have an excuse 7 months of the year Does it help if'n I don't wear a tie with my shirts?? Or am I still LAME

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    OH SH$%!!! I'm in serious trouble now!! ALL I WEAR NOWDAYS are short sleeve dress shirts....... Mine are the kind with at least 4-6 pockets At least I have an excuse 7 months of the year Does it help if'n I don't wear a tie with my shirts?? Or am I still LAME
    You may be beyond help. I understand that some men are hopelessly attached to them. Especially here where the heat index was 126 in August.

Like other(s) have said, the tie is really what makes it awful. Short sleeves by themselves aren't nearly as bad. Someone needs to tell a person in my office about this...he wears them with short little ties that go halfway down his torso. It's a hot look.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I don't wear shorts to work or sandals. Women can pull that off and look good but guys look sloppy.
    That's because men have hairy feet! Now, maybe if you shaved your foot hair...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Attachment 4011

Need I say more?
    Last edited by Planit; 25 Apr 2008 at 2:56 PM.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Back in the 1970's there was a book called Dress for Success that explained all this. No short sleeved dress shirts unless you want to look like a flunky. People in charge wear long sleeve dress shirts. When it's hot you roll the sleeves up a little (no more than two turns--I'm making this part up). Brown suits are a big no-no, EXCEPT in certain places such as -- ahem -- Denver, where brown is OK.

Last time I was in Hawaii I noticed that in businesses where everyone wore aloha shirts, which the tourist info takes great pains to tell you are to be worn untucked, the executives always wore theirs tucked in and the flunkies wore them untucked. Even when the shirts are identical, such as in a hotel. Manager - tucked in; bellman - untucked.

FWIW, in that photo of the man in the green short sleeved shirt, I looked at it and immediately said "building contractor." Her outfit says dental hygenist.

And finally, I was under the impression that it is a major faux pas for women to wear black to a wedding. I see it all the time now, so I guess the fashion gurus have spoken. Back in the day it was considered an insult to wear black to a wedding. Like, "I mourn your wedding."

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Attachment 4011

Need I say more?
    Not that I'm a Britanny fan, but she looks better than 90% of women would in that outfit...
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Brown suits are a big no-no, EXCEPT in certain places such as -- ahem -- Denver, where brown is OK.
    What? Really? Hmmm... have to go to T&C Mens Wear this weekend, I guess...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2002
    So this guy looks like a dork?
    Yes, he does. And why did anyone think that tie went with that shirt? Maybe the image is from Jonestown, and she's passing him his grape Kool-Aid. Then the shirt doesn't matter so much. And anyway it was hot down there.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    Like other(s) have said, the tie is really what makes it awful. Short sleeves by themselves aren't nearly as bad.
    That's it!! "Short sleeve dress shirt" is an oxymoron.

I wore one of those short sleeve fishing shirts with about 6 pockets today. No tie.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm not sure if this qualifies as a fashion faux pas or just good old fashioned posturing. Local developer recently walks into the office that we have a longstanding rapport with. He got back from vacation where he spent some time Out West. He's now wearing Tony Lamas and a bolo tie. He never has before...what gives? Did going to far-away exotic Nevada prompt him to 'go native'? Is this just another manifestation of being an attention whore? Has he finally found his new calling as a cowboy and just doesn't give a damn what the world thinks?

There should be a law that prohibits people who are not actively involved in raising livestock or riding on the rodeo circuit from wearing this sort of attire (at least east of the Mississippi) out of respect for the noble profession of cowboy.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I'm not sure if this qualifies as a fashion faux pas or just good old fashioned posturing. Local developer recently walks into the office that we have a longstanding rapport with. He got back from vacation where he spent some time Out West. He's now wearing Tony Lamas and a bolo tie. He never has before...what gives? Did going to far-away exotic Nevada prompt him to 'go native'? Is this just another manifestation of being an attention whore? Has he finally found his new calling as a cowboy and just doesn't give a damn what the world thinks?

There should be a law that prohibits people who are not actively involved in raising livestock or riding on the rodeo circuit from wearing this sort of attire (at least east of the Mississippi) out of respect for the noble profession of cowboy.
    There are lots of attire choices that make sense when you're on a vacation somewhere but when you get back home, you just can't quite pull it off. My family has lived in AZ and travels there all the time, but I can't quite pull off the big turquoise jewelry where I live now (east of the Mississippi). Not to mention cowboy boots, hats, or bolos. I think people go on relaxing and/or distracting vacations and buy things that remind them of those vacations at home, without realizing how out of place they look. Like how disney things are okay at Disney World, but if I wear a Minnie Mouse shirt around my own hometown, I look like a slob. Of course, some people have luck with this. But 90% (including me) do not.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 10 May 2011, 11:00 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last post: 13 Nov 2008, 12:56 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING Fashion Help Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 51
    Last post: 24 Sep 2008, 9:35 AM
  4. Faux town squares