Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MLA program at UGA

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

MLA program at UGA

I am planning on applying to the University of Georgia's Master of Landscape Architecture program within the next couple of years. Can anyone offer me any advice, experience, etc. (thanks again, bdaleray).

was taught by uga mla grad

My urban design studio teacher at CofC was Jacob Lindsey, who graduated MLA from UGA in 2003. He works for Keane and Co. in Charleston right now--a pretty out-front group who have worked around Charleston in developments like I'on and Mixson to name a couple. He knows his stuff and seems great at what he does. Thats about all I can offer ya

http://www.keaneplaces.com

John Crowley is the former Dean of the College of Environment and Design at UGA and is a graduate of the program I am in now. He stepped down as dean last year to start up the Urban Planning program at Georgia. I had the pleasure of meeting him at our 60th anniversary conference, and I can say with absolute certainty that he's a brilliant mind. He sees the intricate connections between LA and RCPL, and understands how the two disciplines can get pushed into literal and figurative corners for their inter-disciplinary and comprehensive approaches to problems that other academic disciplines aren't equipped to handle. I understand he left the LA program in good shape, and he's still active in the college obviously. IMO, UGA would be a good choice. Hope this helps.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The MLA grads from UGA that I've worked with over the years have seemed pretty competent (and there are plenty of them here in North Georgia and the ATL). That's all I have to add.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    Georgia's program has a great reputation.

If you're interested in plants, Dirr, the guy that wrote the book on woodies was a prof. there.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I just wrote a long e-mail to Dr. Spooner about the program (trying to find out how much my planning experience will help me in my application). I'm planning on visiting the campus within the next couple of months (crashing with bdaleray while I'm down there).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Why Spooner? He's one of my favorite Prof's, but AFAIK not in charge of anything. IMHO you should be talking to Brian LaHaie. BTW, Spooner's not a Dr. - he has a MLA.

Let me know whenever you're coming to town. I may be living with my fiance by then, but I'll make crash space for you wherever.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Hey Brian,

A co-worker recommend Spooner. She also recommended Professors Akers, Weatherly, Nichols, and Coyle.

I am not sure exactly when I will be down. I am shooting for late February to mid March. I will fly down from Chicago and then stop by Columbus to visit the Ohio State's MLA program. When is spring break and midterms? I e-mailed Spooner a couple of days ago. Ideally, I want to finish up my portfolio, burn it on to a CD, have him or someone else review it, and discuss it when I come in. This might be too much to ask. I will keep you posted.

Nick

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Hi Nick -

Mid-term is pretty much irrelevant in the department, so don't worry about the date. Spring break is March 10-14. My fiance has spring break from March 3-9, so I'll probably be gone for part of that week.

As for the faculty, Akers just left for Morgan State; Weatherly, Nichols, and Coyle are pretty much all undergrad faculty. All good folks, but I doubt they'll have much to say about the MLA admission process.

Honestly, I think you're overthinking this, and you won't have a problem getting admitted. If you've got the portfolio done, great, but that won't really matter until you send your application.

In any case, they accept the top candidates from the pool of applicants. Students who get in one year might not have gotten in at a different time, so it's a bit of a crapshoot. I think accepting you would be a no-brainer, though - with your planning background you would add an interesting twist to the cohort.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 11:04 AM
  2. So once you're in a program
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Jul 2008, 9:35 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Jan 2006, 12:58 PM
  4. PBS Program about The Ramones
    Friday Afternoon Club