Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Proactive Health and Wellness

Registered
    Jul 2003

Proactive Health and Wellness

No, this is not about me. Y'all have heard my story to death and I will refrain from boring you to tears. (Those who haven't heard my story a zillion times and just absolutely HAVE TO KNOW can read about it at Health Gazelle.) This is my reaction today to the Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check thread. Consider this thread to be the anti-illness thread.

Clearly, I am not the only person here who has either survived a life-threatening health crisis or who lives daily with high health maintenance. On top of that, all those disgustingly healthy folks who do things like bicycle to work undoubtedly have read up on diet and the like and have their own views and experiences to share. We aren't so different anyway: I did gymnastics when I was younger and was taking 6-mile-long walks in the Mojave Desert up to three times a week up until a few months before I became bedridden.

So what's your story? What did you personally do to cope in the face of a health crisis that you feel helped make a positive difference in the outcome? Or, alternately, what do you do (other than count on luck and good genes) to stay so disgustingly healthy? Or what are you doing to remain healthier than the norm in spite of whatever chronic condition you happen to have?

Come on -- spill it.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Michelle Zone......you have indirectly hit the nail on this Bear's head.....I would love to post that I am doing all of the things I should be doing to keep my health where it should be.

However.....

Forgive me, MZ, for I have sinned. My last confession was "a long time ago".

I plead guilty to all of the things that involve or could involve donuts, TV remotes, trans-fat, poor sleep regiments, too much chair time, lack of enough vegies, beer, ice-picking another hole in the belt, sweet toothiness, keeping toes limber by picking things up barefoot instead of bending over, driving to the bar.
    _____

That said, I must have some good genes, based on how good I generally feel.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Not in bad shape yet, but....

A huge family history of MASSIVE heart attacks from late fifties through our 60's, no matter HOW healthy!

So I am going to excercise so I can drink all night and eat bad food all day. After seeing what happens on a slow wasting death? I'll take it fast! Then hope to have fun in the next life!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Note to self: no one actually gives a damn about this stuff.

Thread closed.
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 06 Oct 2007 at 12:14 AM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Dec 2009, 3:39 PM
  2. Workplace and wellness
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 30 Apr 2009, 9:43 AM
  3. Proactive vs reactive planning
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 18 Dec 2008, 2:37 PM